Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Who to vote for in the next election watch

ReputationRep:
    I'll still vote Conservative, reducing the deficit and then the debt is the key.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aphotic Cosmos)
    To win as an independent requires serious luck, and since I would only ever stand as an independent as I don't relish the idea of becoming part of a party machine, there's not much point in me getting involved in national politics anyway.

Local politics is even more broken than national politics. Basically we just elect mini dictators every few years.
    Local politics isn't great. However, to win as an independent you either need a huge local issue (e.g. Richard Taylor), or to be a well-known figure, (e.g. Ken Livingtone, George Galloway) It helps if you're running against someone embroiled in serious personal issues, with a plan masterminded by Alastair Campbell (e.g. Martin Bell). I genuinely can't think of anyone else who has become an MP in the last 15 years outside of a known party. Maybe local politics would be easier, but I still think it would require a large local issue. Otherwise it's difficult to build legitimacy or, dare I say it, some kind of 'brand recognition'.

It sounds counter-factual, but I guess you have to get into the machine to change it. Both Blair and Thatcher are great examples, even if you may not agree with the direction they took their respective parties.

Overall, I think the election result pretty much shows a dissatisfaction with every party. Someone's got to do something about it...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nix-j-c)
    I'll be 18 in september, so it's more than likely that I'll be able to vote in the next election unless there's a sudden emergency and one is called in the next couple of months.

TBH I think I'm a lib dem/ labour kind of person and would have liked them to join up but they didn't have enough people

I don't want to be voting lib dem and basically have a vote wasted especially seeing as in my area the lib dem candidate is useless and lives over an hour away. Plus they're out of favour now as they went against msot of their promises but that's only cos they haven't got as many people as the tories (who I hate BTW).

. . .
    http://voteforpolicies.org.uk/

ReputationRep:
    I'll be voting Lib Dem. Their market liberal policies, in combination with a fairly liberal Conservative party at the moment, mean we've got a powerful market liberal bloc at the moment.

The tuition fees fiasco was crazy, cutting HE as much as the Coalition did was a huge mistake, and it was really bloody stupid of the Lib Dems to promise to vote against any tuition fees rise (especially with a hung parliament potentially looming, and a fairly untenable Labour party at the time), but a lot of the cuts make massive economic sense. I'm glad we've got a Government that has decided to stop spending huge amounts of public money simply to create a pretty monolithic public sector at the expense of the private.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Evangelica)
    Hmm what do you define foreigner as? Someone who isn't white who doesn't have a british accent? Considering that some of the richest people in England are foreign, and many of the students at top unis are foreign too, we kind of need them. We need a government who will seriously tighten immigration but who will also encourage british people to get off their arses, stop claiming benefits, and work harder at their education so that they can take up jobs and foreign employment isn't necessary. You sound racist. I don't like you.
    Sorry, it was a sarcastic post. I'm not even white. :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RedGuy)
    Sorry, it was a sarcastic post. I'm not even white. :ninja:
    Lol sorry for slamming you! Sarcasm translates poorly over the internet haha

ReputationRep:
    LABOUR CAUSE THE CONSERVATIVES LIE!!!111

Most people will think like I demonstrated and then get screwed over by Labour, then vice versa.
    Vote whatever, it won't make a difference if you're in a stronghold area. Sounds cynical, but it's true - British politics will never change (the Labour/Conservative cycle) in our lifetime unless something really **** happens or PR somehow gets put in place.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.