Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Cambridge Mphil Finance or LSE MSc Finance and Economics watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, I am currently struggling to choose between Cambridge's Mphil Finance and LSE's MSc Finance and Economics, and would like to ask for advice.
    A little background info of myself: Student at top tier US college (a public one), double majoring in Economics and Computer Science and will finish in 3 years (ie by May 2011), would like to stay in school for one more year and get a master degree. Will work in tech division of top BB during summer, but looking into trading related full time positions after graduation from the master degree (in case anyone wonder, i did apply for trading summer intern, but did not get any offer)

A lot of people told me that I should definitely choose the LSE program, but after reading the detailed coursework of the two programs, I am more inclined towards taking Cambridge's offer. LSE's program is pretty fixed, with all students studying 3 core courses and choosing 2 out of 9 electives, making a total of 5 courses which are same for all 3 terms. Cambridge's program, however, offers more flexibility and exposure to more courses, with 3 core courses and 3 electives in first term, 1 core course and 5 electives in second term, and 5 electives in third term, summing up to a total of 17 different courses. Although it seem to be that classes at Cambridge would be less in-depth, it gives me exposure to different topics, which also gives me a feeling that I will learn much less from LSE compared to Cambridge.

In case if anyone wants to know the details, LSE's program structure: http://www2.lse.ac.uk/finance/prospe...Structure.aspx
    Cambridge's program structure: http://www.jbs.cam.ac.uk/programmes/...nce/index.html

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by acyc)
    Hi everyone, I am currently struggling to choose between Cambridge's Mphil Finance and LSE's MSc Finance and Economics, and would like to ask for advice.
    A little background info of myself: Student at top tier US college (a public one), double majoring in Economics and Computer Science and will finish in 3 years (ie by May 2011), would like to stay in school for one more year and get a master degree. Will work in tech division of top BB during summer, but looking into trading related full time positions after graduation from the master degree (in case anyone wonder, i did apply for trading summer intern, but did not get any offer)

A lot of people told me that I should definitely choose the LSE program, but after reading the detailed coursework of the two programs, I am more inclined towards taking Cambridge's offer. LSE's program is pretty fixed, with all students studying 3 core courses and choosing 2 out of 9 electives, making a total of 5 courses which are same for all 3 terms. Cambridge's program, however, offers more flexibility and exposure to more courses, with 3 core courses and 3 electives in first term, 1 core course and 5 electives in second term, and 5 electives in third term, summing up to a total of 17 different courses. Although it seem to be that classes at Cambridge would be less in-depth, it gives me exposure to different topics, which also gives me a feeling that I will learn much less from LSE compared to Cambridge.

In case if anyone wants to know the details, LSE's program structure: http://www2.lse.ac.uk/finance/prospe...Structure.aspx
    Cambridge's program structure: http://www.jbs.cam.ac.uk/programmes/...nce/index.html

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.
    Don't know that much about the content differences but in terms of employability, the Cambridge programme has a reputation for being selective, more so than LSE's. The focus of the Cambridge programme is also purely finance vs. finance and economics at LSE, though which one you prefer out of those is up to you.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.