Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Could anyone answer this question for me, and include the steps you took to get to the answer ?

0.327g of zinc power was added to 55.0cm³ of aqueous copper(II) sulfate at 22.8°C. The temperature rose to 32.3°C. The aqueous copper(II) sulfate is in excess.
    Find the enthalpy change of reaction for the following equation:
    Zn(s) + CuSO4(aq) ---> ZnSO4(aq) + Cu(s)

Thank you
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by sakinazahra_x)
    Could anyone answer this question for me, and include the steps you took to get to the answer ?

0.327g of zinc power was added to 55.0cm³ of aqueous copper(II) sulfate at 22.8°C. The temperature rose to 32.3°C. The aqueous copper(II) sulfate is in excess.

Thank you
    You have any idea how to start?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charco)
    You have any idea how to start?
    I thought I did
    But after looking at the answer in the book, im not so sure..
    helpp ?

ReputationRep:
    nothing ?
    seriously ? :|

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sakinazahra_x)

Thank you
    i am a bit thrown back by your follow up comments. two possible scenarios here,
    1) you are a slow learner, not that that matters

2) you are lazy at reading books/resources and do some practice examples

Anyway, here are the methods

1) Find mole of Zn used

2) Use the formula heat, q = mass * specific heat capacity * temperature change
    q would be in unit of energy in J

3) then divide this Joule quantity by no of mol of Zn used(since I would assume Zn is limiting reactant here as concentration of the copper II sulphate is not given)

4) One important value you need to have is specific heat capacity of water = 4.2 J per degree C per mol; and assume heat capacity of the solution you have is identical to that of water, since water makes up almost all of your solution.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shengoc)
    i am a bit thrown back by your follow up comments. two possible scenarios here,
    1) you are a slow learner, not that that matters

2) you are lazy at reading books/resources and do some practice examples

Anyway, here are the methods

1) Find mole of Zn used

2) Use the formula heat, q = mass * specific heat capacity * temperature change
    q would be in unit of energy in J

3) then divide this Joule quantity by no of mol of Zn used(since I would assume Zn is limiting reactant here as concentration of the copper II sulphate is not given)

4) One important value you need to have is specific heat capacity of water = 4.2 J per degree C per mol; and assume heat capacity of the solution you have is identical to that of water, since water makes up almost all of your solution.

number 2 is right.
    i apologize !
    but thank you verry much ^^;

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 24, 2011

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.