Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, I think I might need a help. I got offers from Birmingham and Lund. Can't decide between them.

If it is possible try to think as a International Student(preferably as Portuguese) that never have been in UK or Sweden.

Birmingham(MSc in Food Safety, Hygiene and Management):

Pros:
    Respected University
    Course is headed by Department of Chemical Engineering(It might be top 5 in UK)
    Part - time
    Accommodation Guaranteed
    Very accessible(Airport, Train Station)
    Vibrant Cosmopolitan City with a lot of opportunities

Cons:
    Tuition Fee (Will they remain the same in 2012?)
    Accommodation Price

Lund (MSc in Food Technology and Nutrition)

Pros:
    Also very respected University (Oxbridge of Sweden, could be even more respected than Birmingham)
    Relatively small town with good student vibe
    Perhaps Higher life quality and safety?
    No tuition fees
    I always loved Scandinavian Culture
    Copenhagen is very close (I just love Copenhagen)

Cons:
    Very intensive course(2 years in full time regime)
    Swedish Language
    No accommodation guarantees

But most important future prospective. I know that UK's and Swedish Food Industries are quiet good. But once again Birmingham is the 2nd largest city in UK(more opportunities to get a job) while Lund is definitely small city and will be moving out of there after the end of course.

By the way still waiting responses from University of Copenhagen and Helsinki.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, I would choose Lund if I were you. I will be studying in Sweden next year (just got accepted this morning) and am really looking forward to it.

I don't think Swedish language will be a problem, from my own experience 99% of people in Sweden speak English fluently, and your course will be taught in English. Lund also has a fantastic international reputation. Although most international university rankings are very centred on the English-speaking world, Lund is one of the big ones in my opinion

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, I really appreciate your opinion. I was ready to go to Birmingham but after receiving an offer from Lund, I am definitely reconsidering my mind. Tuitions, future prospectives... a lot of issues need to be seen and discussed.

Congrats with your offer, I also received mine today. By the way, where are you going and for what course?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VKulesh)
    Thanks, I really appreciate your opinion. I was ready to go to Birmingham but after receiving an offer from Lund, I am definitely reconsidering my mind. Tuitions, future prospectives... a lot of issues need to be seen and discussed.

Congrats with your offer, I also received mine today. By the way, where are you going and for what course?
    I'm going to Gothenburg University, to do a masters in Global Studies.
    I considered putting Lund as my first choice, because of its great reputation, but I wanted to live in a slightly larger city so finally went for Gothenburg

ReputationRep:
    Lund is very good university, high ranked (top ~60 in the world I think). It's free, it's a nice city and everyone speaks English. I have a friends who have chosen Lund over Cambridge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Donosti)
    I'm going to Gothenburg University, to do a masters in Global Studies.
    I considered putting Lund as my first choice, because of its great reputation, but I wanted to live in a slightly larger city so finally went for Gothenburg
    Malmö is only 20 km away from Lund though, 10 minutes on the train! And Malmö is the 2nd largest city in Sweden.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by synvilla)
    Lund is very good university, high ranked (top ~60 in the world I think). It's free, it's a nice city and everyone speaks English. I have a friends who have chosen Lund over Cambridge.
    Thanks, it seems like everyone is pushing me(in a good way) to Scandinavia instead of UK.

I am still waiting the response from University of Helsinki (few more weeks to go) but my goal is the University of Copenhagen. Will know if I am accepted or not by the end of May.

But yeah, if it's not Copenhagen it will be Lund.

P.S: Well, I'd prefer Cambridge over Lund if money wasn't an issue but I certainly delighted with offer from Lund.

ReputationRep:
    And at some point Lund is the Oxbridge of Sweden.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VKulesh)
    Thanks, it seems like everyone is pushing me(in a good way) to Scandinavia instead of UK.

I am still waiting the response from University of Helsinki (few more weeks to go) but my goal is the University of Copenhagen. Will know if I am accepted or not by the end of May.

But yeah, if it's not Copenhagen it will be Lund.

P.S: Well, I'd prefer Cambridge over Lund if money wasn't an issue but I certainly delighted with offer from Lund.
    I am at Uppsala myself, and we often refer to ourselves as the Scandinavian Oxbridge.

I'd personally wouldn't go to Helsinki if I could go to Copenhagen or Lund.

ReputationRep:
    I am at Uppsala myself, and we often refer to ourselves as the Scandinavian Oxbridge.

I'd personally wouldn't go to Helsinki if I could go to Copenhagen or Lund.
    Helsinki was always my insurance if I wont get admissions to other universities. It will be really hard to decide between Copenhagen(If I get accepted) and Lund.

Uppsala is an amazing University (Worldwide Reputation, always in TOP 100 best in the world ) and the oldest one of Sweden. For me, if I could I would choose between Uppsala, Lund and Karolinska. But others are also very prestigious and high quality Universities.

thank you very much Synvilla, definitely helped to settle things down.

ReputationRep:
    Since when is Malmö the second largest city in Sweden?
    Gothenburg is the second largest city, Malmö is the third largest city.

Malmö is only 20 km away from Lund though, 10 minutes on the train! And Malmö is the 2nd largest city in Sweden.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Apollonia)
    Since when is Malmö the second largest city in Sweden?
    Gothenburg is the second largest city, Malmö is the third largest city.
    Yes, you've pointed out in the other thread that I've mixed up the size of Malmö and Göteborg. Anyway, they're two of the three largest cities...

ReputationRep:
    Yes, because I think the correct information should be available, especially considering their size and population differ substiantially.

Yes, you've pointed out in the other thread that I've mixed up the size of Malmö and Göteborg. Anyway, they're two of the three largest cities...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.