The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Deceiver
I just got back from the Sussex undergrad open day and liked it. It won't be my first choice or even my insurance when it comes to applications but it has a lot of positives. The campus may be a bit of a concrete jungle but the course I was looking at (French & Spanish/Italian) looks great and the students and lecturers were really helpful. Accommodation looks good too despite being a bit dated, but they said they're renovating a lot of it.

Also, Brighton is beautiful, and I love how arty and hip it is, which is a massive change compared to the boring town where I come from.

Did you see Northfield, the new accommodation? If so, what does it look like? They were still building it when I went.
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
I went to the open day and the women were ****ing unreal. Definite insurance.
Reply 102
Had an offer from sussex for this september entry, one of the 2 choices I had which I didn't look round first - glad I declined it now!
Reply 103
Original post by Rothers
Had an offer from sussex for this september entry, one of the 2 choices I had which I didn't look round first - glad I declined it now!

which did you firm?
Reply 104
Original post by Meesta
which did you firm?

Lancaster - I completely love it there :smile:
I even declined Durhams offer for Lancaster! :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
This is just silly.

First of all, Sussex is a pretty big campus, by any means.
Secondly, i'm not sure where you found these 'derelict shops and graffiti', because Sussex is the only university to be on a national park, and the area surrounding it is incredibly beautiful, not to mention Brighton down the road.
The buildings are dated, but if you're the kind of pretentious **** who thinks beautiful buildings are at all correlated to the quality of the university, well thats your call.

You're all idiots. I'm so tired of the same pathetic people starting threads of which the sole purpose is to prove that if you aren't at Cambridge, life isnt worth living. Why do you feel the need to debunk others universities for no reason? Sussex is, by all means, one of the top 20 (if not higher) in the UK. For my subject, its one of the best in the country. The lot of you **** off to your respective universities and rot there.
Reply 106
I loved sussex when I went to the open day and it's definitely one of my 5 choices...couldn't care less what other people think!!
Reply 107
What a strange thread! I hope it hasn't put any prospective applicants off. It's a gorgeous campus in a fantastic city with a strong reputation amongst employers and notably within the wider academic sphere. Funnily enough, my tutor at Oxford was raving about Sussex over dinner last night. Curiously, young people today don't hold the university in the same esteem - perhaps because it's not Red Brick or Russell Group or otherwise beloved of Hooray Henry types - even in spite of it continuing to rise up the arbitrary league tables that kids pay so much attention to.

Go along to the Open Days and don't let the cretins on this thread taint your experience of the place.

EDIT: If anybody wants to talk about International Relations at Sussex, feel free to PM me.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by derp
I only go there because it has "sex" in its name

Bet you are slightly disappointed now. :teehee:

Original post by GodspeedGehenna
Sussex is a top UK Uni? u mad? It's alright, but there would have to be a large amount of synchronised gas mains explosions across various universities in the UK for it to become 'one of the top'.

Well to be honest..... they have to be pretty good as they have thier own Medical School in partnership with Brighton.
Reply 109
Original post by Fusilero
That... is the third most awesome thing I have ever seen. Someone should get a bloody medal.

Someone did get a bloody medal. A bronze medal from the Royal Architecture society or something like that :tongue:
I'm so glad I went to Sussex. I don't understand why anyone would want to be anywhere else really - here we have Brighton 20 minutes bus journey away, a beautiful, homey campus (as anyone coming back from a forest rave at 8am can testify, the sun through the trees on the Sussex Downs is absolutely glorious), a 24 hour bus service which is cheap as chips due to competition between the eco-friendly Big Lemon and the main Brighton & Hove bus service, helpful staff and EVERYONE is accepted for who they are... I have felt completely at home here since day one.
Original post by catriona176
I'm so glad I went to Sussex. I don't understand why anyone would want to be anywhere else really - here we have Brighton 20 minutes bus journey away, a beautiful, homey campus (as anyone coming back from a forest rave at 8am can testify, the sun through the trees on the Sussex Downs is absolutely glorious), a 24 hour bus service which is cheap as chips due to competition between the eco-friendly Big Lemon and the main Brighton & Hove bus service, helpful staff and EVERYONE is accepted for who they are... I have felt completely at home here since day one.

^THIS is why I applied to Sussex.
Reply 112
Sussex is a top UK Uni? u mad? It's alright, but there would have to be a large amount of synchronised gas mains explosions across various universities in the UK for it to become 'one of the top'.

Erm, it's always been well respected, especially for English. It was actually top for English the year I applied for undergrad.

As to the OP: this is clearly a troll thread. The campus is surrounded by beautiful countryside, and whilst the buildings are a bit... dated and the facilities aren't great (bars that close at the weekend) it's one of the nicer campuses I've been to.
(edited 12 years ago)
The OP ended up at Oxford Brookes.
Reply 114
Who could dislike Sussex? I'm firming it to study geography next year, and honestly when my offer came through i didn't even have to think about any others. It has Brighton on the doorstep (possibly one of the best and most vibrant cities in the UK) and a relaxed, green campus with a great feel to it. I'll be the first to admit the buildings are dated, but being honest the construction of the campus isn't really going to affect you or your degree.

Also people forget that it is a prestigious institution; it was one of only 15 universities to be ranked in the top 20 over a spread of league tables. On average it ranks higher than places like Nottingham, so any sneers about prestige are utterly wrong.
Reply 115
Original post by gemini89

I think a lot of people go to Sussex just to live in Brighton to be honest. It's an awesome city, diverse and interesting with lots going on. It's why I chose to go here anyway!

:ditto::ditto:
Reply 116

This year, the Guardian ranked Sussex 11th in the UK, placing it ABOVE Nottingham, Bristol, Bath, York and Edinburgh. If you're saying Sussex isn't a top university then am i right in thinking that these VERY prestigious institutions are also inferior in your rather naive eyes?
Reply 117
Original post by Charlieeeeee

Original post by Charlieeeeee
This is just silly.

First of all, Sussex is a pretty big campus, by any means.
Secondly, i'm not sure where you found these 'derelict shops and graffiti', because Sussex is the only university to be on a national park, and the area surrounding it is incredibly beautiful, not to mention Brighton down the road.
The buildings are dated, but if you're the kind of pretentious **** who thinks beautiful buildings are at all correlated to the quality of the university, well thats your call.

You're all idiots. I'm so tired of the same pathetic people starting threads of which the sole purpose is to prove that if you aren't at Cambridge, life isnt worth living. Why do you feel the need to debunk others universities for no reason? Sussex is, by all means, one of the top 20 (if not higher) in the UK. For my subject, its one of the best in the country. The lot of you **** off to your respective universities and rot there.

THANK YOU FOR SPEAKING THE BLOODY TRUTH! I hate the way people assume that just because it hasn't existed for 500 years it isn't prestigious. This topic genuinely makes me angry.

Also can i just add, i've been offered a place at Durham and i'm rejecting it for Sussex; the university is full of snobs and privately educated morons, and as a town it's as bland as brown bread. Brighton is vibrant, and i can't wait to spend 3 years there.
Original post by catriona176

You're the worst kind of hippy. And just to make things clear: there is no such thing as a good hippy.

Latest

Trending

Trending