Turn on thread page Beta

Different races/ breeds of people/ animals watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nix-j-c)
    I wnated to psot this somewhere more sciency but this isn't for a-level work, just out of curiosity.

If there wasn't any mating of people of different races or possibly breeds of dogs for example, would there come a point when we/they would become different species?

I would think so, but how many generations would this take?

Also would at one point it be like mating donkeys and horses where they can breed but not produce fertile offspring and then eventually go on to not be able to breed at all?

Or would this not happen now as technology, medicine and fertility treatment in particular is stopping survival of the fittest?
    Wtf? Humans are one species, what are you on about?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by No Future)
    (Original post by Psyk)
    "Human" doesn't technically refer to one specific species, it just so happens that at the moment there is only one species of human. There used to be more.
    There have been other species of humans in the past, and it's possible that homo sapiens could diverge into multiple species in thousands of years time. I think it's unlikely to happen unless there is an apocalyptic event and only a few humans survive in different parts of the world.

ReputationRep:
    I know they are, I'm asking if and how long it would take for different races of humans to become different species, or can't you read english?

ReputationRep:
    Too those getting confused. He's asking, if the different races became isolated from each other, how long would it take before they become genetically different enough to be classed as different species.

It would take longer than the time humans have currently been around.

ReputationRep:
    Not sure about fertility but some of the mixed race folks I've known have had health issues, and I looked into this a while ago and found that there is some evidence to suggest that mixed race people do suffer from more health issues than is the norm..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foo.mp3)
    Not sure about fertility but some of the mixed race folks I've known have had health issues, and I looked into this a while ago and found that there is some evidence to suggest that mixed race people do suffer from more health issues than is the norm..
    If anything, surely mixed race people have fewer health issues due to genetic diversity?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nix-j-c)
    I know they are, I'm asking if and how long it would take for different races of humans to become different species, or can't you read english?
    If we're going to throw childish insults at each other, I thought your post was kinda retarded, that's all.

It takes many, many, many years for evolution to take place.

How can anyone answer that question?

Why would different races evolve into separate species unless they were segregated from all other races?

ReputationRep:
    If we're going to throw childish insults at each other, I thought your post was kinda retarded, that's all.

It takes many, many, many years for evolution to take place.

How can anyone answer that question?
    I was asking if it could happen and roughly how long / how amny generations it would take.

ReputationRep:
    If anything, surely mixed race people have fewer health issues due to genetic diversity?
    Fewer health issues than people who inter-bread in very small, or family, communities yes, but apparently more health issues than regular Joes

ReputationRep:
    Lol i'v heard that that's bull**** :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Fewer health issues than people who inter-bread in very small, or family, communities yes, but apparently more health issues than regular Joes
    Really? I've never heard of this. Could you point me towards some further info? Links, papers or textbooks?

ReputationRep:
    Really? I've never heard of this. Could you point me towards some further info? Links, papers or textbooks?
    Can't remember where I heard it first but a Google search should give y'all some leads if ye interested..

ReputationRep:
    This.

There was a programme about this on Channel 4 called Is It Better To Be Mixed Race.

Basically said mixed raced people technically should be slightly more healthy due to more gene diversity etc...

(Original post by cttp_ngaf)
    We can choose to acknowledge anything from 1 group of ~7 billion members to ~7 billion groups of 1 member, as you zoom from one extreme to the other different sized groups come into focus...
    The argument is less about 'acknowledging' but constructing divisions between humans according to some arbitrariliy determined set of characteristics or genetic relations. It may be convenient for some to lump humanity into a set of racial divisions, but that doesn't make it legitimate, certainly not legitimate in scientific terms.

Obviously you can believe what you want, I'm with those who have rejected the biological race concept, it's not really important to me whether you personally have issues over that stance.

Which racial systems? Like you said, there is no universally (or even majorly) accepted "racial system", so to which, or whose, racial systems do you refer?

Personally I've always been aware of West Africans and East Africans as being noted and regarded as worthy of distinction from each other, especially in their respective athletic predispositions. Whether we want to call them different races or not, I don't particularly care.
    You need to consult with those who believe in biological race categorisation if you want the details but most commonly those who believe humans are divided into biological races posit three, four or five divisions for that purpose, usually using such language as 'Caucasoid', 'Negroid' and so on.

If you don't care whether or not others adopt or reject biological racial categorisation what exactly is your beef?

ReputationRep:
    there is a case of a tribe in africa that have adapted to deep water dive to lengths that we cannot do. And the chances of us having children with them is low, but not impossible. One could suggest that they are on there way to being another species, as soon as we can no longer have children with them then they are another species :O

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oswy)
    The argument is less about 'acknowledging' but constructing divisions between humans according to some arbitrariliy determined set of characteristics or genetic relations. It may be convenient for some to lump humanity into a set of racial divisions, but that doesn't make it legitimate, certainly not legitimate in scientific terms.
    We could say that, but as I noted it's no more or less scientifically legitimate than any other kind of classification systems of any kind. Whether we "should" categorise anything at all is another point, but I'm afraid we humans ****ing love to order and classify things, that's very much a main hobby of ours.

(Original post by Oswy)
    Obviously you can believe what you want, I'm with those who have rejected the biological race concept, it's not really important to me whether you personally have issues over that stance.
    (Original post by Oswy)
    Obviously you can take your side, but I happen to think the nay-sayers have the most convincing arguments.
    I'm not sure why you end your posts with little bits like that, it doesn't add anything.

(Original post by Oswy)
    You need to consult with those who believe in biological race categorisation if you want the details but most commonly those who believe humans are divided into biological races posit three, four or five divisions for that purpose, usually using such language as 'Caucasoid', 'Negroid' and so on.
    I'm sure even people who use the term "race" to refer to around five very large categories still fully acknowledge that each such "race" can be further divided into small groups (such as the East and West Africans you mentioned). So it seems to just be a semantic issue again, about what level of magnification one wants to start using "race".

(Original post by Oswy)
    If you don't care whether or not others adopt or reject biological racial categorisation what exactly is your beef?
    I don't understand this question.

ReputationRep:
    Whoever negged me obviously missed out on one of the key principles of GCSE biology. Sucks to be you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Species

We could say that, but as I noted it's no more or less scientifically legitimate than any other kind of classification systems of any kind...
    I don't know which science you have your PhD in, but as far as those who study within fields related to this particular issue are concerned there is clearly a lot of serious consideration as to the justifiability of any given way of describing humanity in group terminology.

See the attached article as an example of how much it matters to the scientific community, even if it doesn't matter to, you know, you.
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf CONCEPTUALIZING HUMAN VARIATION article.pdf (101.5 KB, 42 views)

ReputationRep:
    I read something in the qi animal book last night that there's a species that's been separate for 24,000 years and they can't breed anymore.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.