Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Different races/ breeds of people/ animals watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nix-j-c)
    Of course there's evidence, aswell as common sense, the more varied your genes are, the more situations you can easily adapt to = greater chance of survival therefore mixed race people are healthier in terms of gene variation.

Plus if you breed within your race, you may be inadvertantly be interbreeding with family members (although probably quite distant) and everyone knows that that can lead to extra/ less fingers etc etc so the complete opposite of this, breeding outside of your race is the bets option in most cases.
    The Hapsburgs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by No Future)
    I'd love to know what evidence leads you to believe that mixed race people have more health problems than non mixed race people
    Besides having known a few mixed race people who had health probs, just the couple of articles/surveys I googled after someone mentioned they'd heard these things could be correlated - didn't say I was squarely behind the concept btw, just that there's some evidence to suggest it's an issue

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foo.mp3)
    Besides having known a few mixed race people who had health probs
    Knowing a few people who had health problems and happened to be mixed race doesn't mean that a mixed race person is inherently more likely to have health problems than a non mixed race person, no?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by No Future)
    Knowing a few people who had health problems and happened to be mixed race doesn't mean that a mixed race person is inherently more likely to have health problems than a non mixed race person, no?
    Indeed not. It just seemed a bit of a coincidence, but then there was this one family I used to live near and all the offspring had health probs of some sort (again could well have been coincidence), when I mentined it someone said "oh yeah, apparently that can happen with mixed race children" so I looked into it and found some evidence to support the notion - wouldn't be surprised if no major studies from super-reputable sources had been commissioned though.. such a study could be confused with eugenics/a racial 'purist' adgenda :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foo.mp3)
    Indeed not. It just seemed a bit of a coincidence, but then there was this one family I used to live near and all the offspring had health probs of some sort (again could well have been coincidence), when I mentined it someone said "oh yeah, apparently that can happen with mixed race children" so I looked into it and found some evidence to support the notion - wouldn't be surprised if no major studies from super-reputable sources had been commissioned though.. such a study could be confused with eugenics/a racial 'purist' adgenda :rolleyes:
    I could believe that there are some specific health problems that are more common in mixed race people than other people, but I'd find it hard to believe that mixed race people are less likely to be healthy in general. There must be a ton of genetic problems that are much less likely in mixed race people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    I could believe that there are some specific health problems that are more common in mixed race people than other people, but I'd find it hard to believe that mixed race people are less likely to be healthy in general. There must be a ton of genetic problems that are much less likely in mixed race people.
    Too many variables to pin it down to just race-mixing anyway.

It's just a bit of texas sharpshooting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tabris)
    Too many variables to pin it down to just race-mixing anyway.

It's just a bit of texas sharpshooting.
    Well if they could pin something down to specific genes then it could be pinned down to particular mixes of races. For example if a genetic disease is caused by having both gene A and gene B, and gene A is more common in black people, and gene B is more common in white people, then clearly someone who has one black parent and one white parent is more likely to have the disease.

But I'd have though cases like that are far less common than diseases that are caused by having two copies of a particular recessive gene. The gene for sickle cell anemia is more common in black people, so someone with one black parent is more likely to have than someone with two. There's probably loads of other diseases that affect other races in a similar way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    Well if they could pin something down to specific genes then it could be pinned down to particular mixes of races. For example if a genetic disease is caused by having both gene A and gene B, and gene A is more common in black people, and gene B is more common in white people, then clearly someone who has one black parent and one white parent is more likely to have the disease.

But I'd have though cases like that are far less common than diseases that are caused by having two copies of a particular recessive gene. The gene for sickle cell anemia is more common in black people, so someone with one black parent is more likely to have than someone with two. There's probably loads of other diseases that affect other races in a similar way.
    Thanks for trying to explain, it was nice of you to do so, but... I know enough about genetics, I've effectively been living one of the best institutes for genetic medicine in the country for the last 12 weeks of my life.

I'm just saying, when it comes to anecdotal experiences, there are so many variables that could be involved to pin it down to race mixing as a major factor in that little discussion Foo and No Future were having.

ReputationRep:
    Human 'races' are not the same as animal 'breeds'.

Take say, a (Black) African person and a Japanese person.

To say they are different in the same sense as a Labrador and a Poodle are different would be wrong, and is where the whole "NO RACE MIXING!!! :fuhrer: " argument falls flat on its face.

To say they are different in the sense that a black Labrador is different to a brown Labrador is far more accurate.

ReputationRep:
    It's possible.We evolved from the homo genus about 200,000 years ago and that has been around for 2.5 million years, so it could take some time for any humans to evolve into new species even if certain peoples were kept in complete isolation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Barden)
    Human 'races' are not the same as animal 'breeds'.

Take say, a (Black) African person and a Japanese person.

To say they are different in the same sense as a Labrador and a Poodle are different would be wrong, and is where the whole "NO RACE MIXING!!! :fuhrer: " argument falls flat on its face.

To say they are different in the sense that a black Labrador is different to a brown Labrador is far more accurate.
    ahh, I supose so thinking about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tabris)
    Thanks for trying to explain, it was nice of you to do so, but... I know enough about genetics, I've effectively been living one of the best institutes for genetic medicine in the country for the last 12 weeks of my life.
    Oh well, hopefully my explanation will be useful to someone by putting it in layman's terms, by a layman.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.