Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand how to answer the following question:

In a population of men the systolic blood pressure shows a normal distribution. The mean of the population is 125 and (measured in mm Hg) and the standard deviation is 10. If the population was 1000, how many of them have a blood pressure between 115 and 135mm Hg?

The AQA text book says the answer is 680 but I do not understand how to get there.

Any help?

Cheers.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by AshleyWheat)
    I don't understand how to answer the following question:

In a population of men the systolic blood pressure shows a normal distribution. The mean of the population is 125 and (measured in mm Hg) and the standard deviation is 10. If the population was 1000, how many of them have a blood pressure between 115 and 135mm Hg?

The AQA text book says the answer is 680 but I do not understand how to get there.

Any help?

Cheers.
    Firstly, if its a normal distribution, then you would model it like this.

X ~ N(125,100) Where 125 is the mean and 100 is the variance(SD is the square root of the variance).

you are trying to find the number of people between 115 and 135, so the probability will be
    p(115<X<135)
    To compare this to the standard normal, you use the equation Z = (X-mean)/standard deviation
    this gives you p((115-125)/10<Z<(135-125)/10)
    I get this as p(-1<Z<1)
    once you have this, you have to look in the tables, I can't get latex of the 'fi' symbol so I'll use o instead.
    p(-1<Z<1) = p(Z<1) - p(Z<-1)
    = p(Z<1) - (1 - p(Z<1))
    = p(Z<1) + p(Z<1) -1
    =2 x p(Z<1) -1
    That was there for my reference, because I find it easier to do that instead, now in the tables I get p(Z<1) = 0.8413
    2x0.8413 -1 = 0.6826
    So back to your question, if the population was 1000, then you would simply multiply the probability by the population size
    0.6826 x 1000 = 682.6

the question may have said to 2 significant figures, if so this would be 680.

I don't think this is a Biology question, I covered this in statistics 2.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 24, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.