Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Driving test tommorow last minute advice :s watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    hey guys got my 3rd test tommorow, basically this is what happened 1st test i failed because a lady walked out into the road on a zebra crossing and i saw her in good time and was about to stop but before i had a chance the examiner slammed the brakes on and was complaining why didnt you stop are you blind! This i feel was unfair and he should have given me a chance to react. 1st test i got 2 serious and 9 minors.

2nd test was completelt different i was near the end of my test literally 5 mins away from the test centre when the examiner tells me we might do a third roundabout since we are early. so i approach roundabout signal correclty but i get into the wrong lane being in a panic since it was so busy that day. I was ment to go 2nd exit on the roundabout and i should have stayed in the left hand lane but being confused i signal right and go into the middle lane resulting in a failure again even though i didnt cause any harm to the other drivers when i later signaled left and came over and left at the 2nd exit.

Anyway thats all in the past. i started driving again 2 months ago had about 16 hours of practise since then and feel much more comfortable driving around and doing maneuvers. i did a mock test on monday and passed with 13 minors the other mock tests i done the last two times i failed really bad something like 10 minors 4 serious. So this had boosted my confidence a bit compared to last time.

my last test was back in july 2010 when independant driving was not introduced so this is all new to me. should i be worried about this? can they fail you if you go the wrong way? Im guessing not as long as i dont do anythin stupid. I have been watching a series of videos on youtube aswell as reading the high way code to help me.

Thanks guys and wish me luck!

ReputationRep:
    You can't fail from going the wrong way on an independent I did it on my first test and didn't get marked for it, they just want to see you doing everything correctly, mirrors signalling etc. My third test is also tomorrow, so good luck. If you get lost on the independent drive you can ask again for directions too.

ReputationRep:
    Good Luck to the posters taking their tests tomorrow!.Let us know how you get on

ReputationRep:
    If something goes wrong don't panic and presume you've failed.

Even if it seems unredeemable - it might be alright!

Towards the very end of my second test, a huge HGV came hurtling towards me and I moved over, clipped the kerb and nearly crashed into the HGV. I panicked and then approached a round-a-bout incorrectly - this failed me and I would have passed with a perfect test if I hadn't panicked as the lorry situation was correctly handled and not my fault.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KittieSocks)
    You can't fail from going the wrong way on an independent I did it on my first test and didn't get marked for it, they just want to see you doing everything correctly, mirrors signalling etc. My third test is also tomorrow, so good luck. If you get lost on the independent drive you can ask again for directions too.
    thanks for clearing that up then was my main concern good luck to anyone else who is also doing their test tomorrow

ReputationRep:
    I have my test tomorrow as well. Although I know I will fail. I can't even park a flonking car, and I haven't passed a mock test once...Grr.

You can't fail from going the wrong way, just make sure you don't go a more difficult way :p: Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chemical_bex)
    I have my test tomorrow as well. Although I know I will fail. I can't even park a flonking car, and I haven't passed a mock test once...Grr.

You can't fail from going the wrong way, just make sure you don't go a more difficult way :p: Good luck!

Fingers crossed for you Bex

ReputationRep:
    lol do you mean parallel parking? im ok at all them its just general stuff i mess up on

good luck bex

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RiskyRix)
    lol do you mean parallel parking? im ok at all them its just general stuff i mess up on

good luck bex
    It's just reversing into a bay, or even driving straight into one, it's the only thing I can't do! So I don't know how I'm going to park after the test

ReputationRep:
    Chill out, stay cool, remember the basics and try and chat to the instructor as much a possible; it's what got me through my test.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RiskyRix)
    hey guys got my 3rd test tommorow, basically this is what happened 1st test i failed because a lady walked out into the road on a zebra crossing and i saw her in good time and was about to stop but before i had a chance the examiner slammed the brakes on and was complaining why didnt you stop are you blind! This i feel was unfair and he should have given me a chance to react. 1st test i got 2 serious and 9 minors.

2nd test was completelt different i was near the end of my test literally 5 mins away from the test centre when the examiner tells me we might do a third roundabout since we are early. so i approach roundabout signal correclty but i get into the wrong lane being in a panic since it was so busy that day. I was ment to go 2nd exit on the roundabout and i should have stayed in the left hand lane but being confused i signal right and go into the middle lane resulting in a failure again even though i didnt cause any harm to the other drivers when i later signaled left and came over and left at the 2nd exit.

Anyway thats all in the past. i started driving again 2 months ago had about 16 hours of practise since then and feel much more comfortable driving around and doing maneuvers. i did a mock test on monday and passed with 13 minors the other mock tests i done the last two times i failed really bad something like 10 minors 4 serious. So this had boosted my confidence a bit compared to last time.

my last test was back in july 2010 when independant driving was not introduced so this is all new to me. should i be worried about this? can they fail you if you go the wrong way? Im guessing not as long as i dont do anythin stupid. I have been watching a series of videos on youtube aswell as reading the high way code to help me.

Thanks guys and wish me luck!

If you find you are in the wrong lane like in the situation above, just say "I'm sorry, did you say the 2nd or 3rd exit? The 2nd? Oh for some reason I thought you said 3rd. I'm now in the wrong lane, I'll have to go all the way round I'm afraid, sorry about that". then go all the way round.

He can't fail you for briefly mishearing him.

In the first test, you need to slow up when approaching a zebra crossing, even if there is no-one near it. Make a big show of looking at both sides before proceeding.

Good luck anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by py0alb)
    If you find you are in the wrong lane like in the situation above, just say "I'm sorry, did you say the 2nd or 3rd exit? The 2nd? Oh for some reason I thought you said 3rd. I'm now in the wrong lane, I'll have to go all the way round I'm afraid, sorry about that". then go all the way round.

He can't fail you for briefly mishearing him.

In the first test, you need to slow up when approaching a zebra crossing, even if there is no-one near it. Make a big show of looking at both sides before proceeding.

Good luck anyway.
    thats a very good idea thanks for that im pretty sure i wont make a stupid mistake like that again but if i do i might use that one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KittieSocks)
    You can't fail from going the wrong way on an independent
    You can if you make a hash of it and make a risky manoeuvre. The incorrect direction taken alone won't fail you, but bad driving still can.

(Original post by chemical_bex)
    I can't even park a flonking car, and I haven't passed a mock test once...Grr.
    Nothing unusual about that comment, but then...
    I have my test tomorrow as well.
    Oh lordy.. why oh why has your instructor put you forward for a test then?

(Original post by py0alb)
    you need to slow up when approaching a zebra crossing, even if there is no-one near it.
    Careful with that comment! Look with your eyes, not with your feet. If you can see no-one for miles and nothing can possibly appear on the zebra within the next few seconds, keep moving as usual and don't annoy following traffic. Of course, if you see a reason to be cautious, then use careful acceleration sense backed up with judgement (not overreaction) of what you've assessed in your mirror.
    Make a big show of looking at both sides before proceeding.
    Don't insult the examiner's intelligence. They're fully aware of peripheral vision. They know what you've seen and what you haven't by the way you react to it. Hitting the brakes for nothing then bobbing your head around with a car up your chuff is going to see you picking up faults for mirrors changing speed and/or progress. Drive exactly how you would if you were alone.

React properly, early and gently to real hazards and stop over-acting for invisible ones and you and the examiner will get on just fine.

ReputationRep:
    if you fail you fail, you have nobody to blame but yourself so don't get angry

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Advisor)
    Nothing unusual about that comment, but then...
    Oh lordy.. why oh why has your instructor put you forward for a test then?
    I think he's just run out of things to do with me, I've been having lessons for ages so 'should' be ready, I mean I can drive, I just can't park. Everyone else thinks I'm ready as well. I put off booking it for ages but he kept bugging me

I'm kind of looking forward to failing so I can say to everyone "SEE! I'm not ready!"

ReputationRep:
    As people have said, you won't fail for going the wrong way, but it doesn't help. As long as your actual driving is correct you wont be marked down. If you are unsure where to go, make sure you ask the examiner in good time.... don't get right up to a roundabout then say "where are we going ?" because thats too late. You haven't had time to signal and position correctly.

Then you shouldn't be taking your test. I'd never put someone in for a test if they couldn't park.

Sorry, but this is just really bad advice. Examiners aren't stupid, they have years of driving experience and are way ahead of test candidates in terms of how early they see situations developing and how aware they are of everything around them. In many cases they know what you are going to do wrong before you even do it. When you approach crossings (and any hazard for that matter) they key is early observation and anticipation. If someone is walking towards the crossing, but isn't there yet, you have to make a judgement call as to whether you think they'll try to cross or not. If you think they will, then check your mirror (should already know whats behind you by now!) and ease off the gas slightly.

When examiners see people "acting" on tests it just shows them that you don't understand whats required of you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bern Roberts)
    As people have said, you won't fail for going the wrong way, but it doesn't help. As long as your actual driving is correct you wont be marked down. If you are unsure where to go, make sure you ask the examiner in good time.... don't get right up to a roundabout then say "where are we going ?" because thats too late. You haven't had time to signal and position correctly.

Then you shouldn't be taking your test. I'd never put someone in for a test if they couldn't park.

Sorry, but this is just really bad advice.
    So you advise just piling through a zebra crossing as if it wasn't even there? I wouldn't even do that without an examiner in the car.
    Keep your downright terrible advice to yourself in future. If you are in a 30mph zone, and you're cruising at 29mph, and you come up to a zebra crossing, just ease off the gas to about 25, make sure to turn your head to look at both sides of the crossing, (and proceed if its safe to do so, obviously). If you just pile through without even turning your head to look sideways like you recommend, the examiner will simply assume you didn't even notice the crossing and you're gonna get a serious failure.

No wonder people fail 6+ times if they are being given advice like this :facepalm2:

When you approach crossings (and any hazard for that matter) they key is early observation and anticipation. If someone is walking towards the crossing, but isn't there yet, you have to make a judgement call as to whether you think they'll try to cross or not. If you think they will, then check your mirror (should already know whats behind you by now!) and ease off the gas slightly
    jesus, talk about stating the ****ing obvious. you should look in the mirror before breaking? really? thanks for the tip sherlock. :rolleyes:

When examiners see people "acting" on tests it just shows them that you don't understand whats required of you
    :facepalm2:

Examiners aren't stupid
    Judging by the advice given on this thread, I beg to differ.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry that what I've said has got you so worked up, that wasn't my intention. What I was getting at is that if you don't actually have the skill to anticipate in the first place, then over acting as you approach the crossing isn't going to fool the examiner.

Assuming it is possible to fool an examiner, if anything, the over-emphasized observation will be too late, and the examiner will have seen you looking later than you should have done.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bern Roberts)
    Sorry that what I've said has got you so worked up, that wasn't my intention. What I was getting at is that if you don't actually have the skill to anticipate in the first place, then over acting as you approach the crossing isn't going to fool the examiner.

Assuming it is possible to fool an examiner, if anything, the over-emphasized observation will be too late, and the examiner will have seen you looking later than you should have done.
    It should go without saying that everyone acts on driving tests, its intrinsic to the very nature of the process of being observed. (I'm going to pretend that I wouldn't normally speed for one thing). Some do a bad job of it, and fail, some do a good job of it, and pass. It's not insulting the examiner's intelligence, I am surprised that there might be an examiner out there naive enough to think that they're not watching a carefully staged version of driving. When I took my test many years ago, my instructor quite correctly explained to me the idea that there is no point in looking in your mirror if the examiner doesn't see you looking in your mirror, so damn well make sure he does. This doesn't mean overacting, it just means turning your head and visibly looking into the mirrors.

If it wasn't possible to fool an examiner, then no-one would ever pass. Clearly most of us drive around in a way that - whilst still perfectly safe - would inevitably result in a test failure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Advisor)

Careful with that comment! Look with your eyes, not with your feet. If you can see no-one for miles and nothing can possibly appear on the zebra within the next few seconds, keep moving as usual and don't annoy following traffic. Of course, if you see a reason to be cautious, then use careful acceleration sense backed up with judgement (not overreaction) of what you've assessed in your mirror.
    Don't insult the examiner's intelligence. They're fully aware of peripheral vision. They know what you've seen and what you haven't by the way you react to it. Hitting the brakes for nothing then bobbing your head around with a car up your chuff is going to see you picking up faults for mirrors changing speed and/or progress. Drive exactly how you would if you were alone.

React properly, early and gently to real hazards and stop over-acting for invisible ones and you and the examiner will get on just fine.
    If the examiner says "I'm sorry I'm failing you, but I didn't see you look in the mirror once" and you said "Oh its ok, I used my peripheral vision" would they change their minds? Somehow I doubt it.

The rest of your post is just stating the obvious, but in a rather obfuscatory manner. Why say brake when you can say "use careful acceleration sense"? Why call it a spade when you can call it a "handheld manual earth mover"?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 29, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.