Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Driving test tommorow last minute advice :s watch

ReputationRep:
    People don't pass because they've duped the examiner. They pass because they drove safely enough to meet the required standards.

The reason many learner cars have baby mirrors fitted is so the examiner can see the candidates eyes, because if the interior mirror is adjusted correctly you shouldn't have to move your head in order to get a clear view.

You're right about one thing though, examiners do expect some over cautious acting to an extent... most people do it. However they don't pass because of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bern Roberts)
    People don't pass because they've duped the examiner. They pass because they drove safely enough to meet the required standards.

The reason many learner cars have baby mirrors fitted is so the examiner can see the candidates eyes, because if the interior mirror is adjusted correctly you shouldn't have to move your head in order to get a clear view.

You're right about one thing though, examiners do expect some over cautious acting to an extent... most people do it. However they don't pass because of it.
    They do pass because of it, because without it the examiner will always miss a few instances of looking in a mirror of it was done like any qualified driver does it.

ReputationRep:
    How do you know that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bern Roberts)
    How do you know that?
    Because he will be looking at several things at once. The road, the eyes, the hands, the mirrors etc etc. I would have thought that was obvious :confused:

You're not attempting to "dupe" him, you're just making it easier for him to spot that fact that you're doing the things you should be doing.

People don't pass because they've duped the examiner. They pass because they drove safely enough to meet the required standards
    I really don't see the difference. The "safe" driving is ultimately a show, an act, a performance. Ten minutes later the kid will be doing handbrake turns round roundabouts showing off to his mates. At the very least, within 6 months he will be driving with only one hand on the wheel, skipping gears, won't engage his handbrake when stationary, won't be using his mirrors correctly, and will be doing 35 in a 30. Does anyone seriously doubt this?

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately yeah, a lot of people, especially younger guys, do end up driving like idiots after their tests. Thats why insurance is so high for young guys. Examiners can often tell if you've checked your mirrors without actually seeing you do it by watching how you respond to a situation. They're well trained and know if someone can drive or not.

What I'm saying is on the test you must demonstrate that you are capable of driving safely. If you are not capable of this then no amount of acting will save you. I'm not saying that good drivers don't act on their tests. I'm saying that sub stamdard drivers, don't pass because they've fooled the examiner into thinking they're better than they really are.

Most examiners I know, if they didn't see if a candidate checked a mirror or not, would err on the side of leniency and not mark it down. They only mark a fault if they see a fault committed.

Having said all this.... they ARE human, contrary to popular opinion!

ReputationRep:
    well guys did my 3rd test today and failed again this time only 3 minors 2 serious still not good enough i was driving really nice all the way through the test nearing the end and aparently i was too close to a bus after it moved out of the bus stop. Had to do paralel parking did that no faults and emergency stop all done to perfection. My other serious mistake was at a roundabout i was in the left lane going 2nd exit the other cars went in the middle and right lanes i thought it was also clear but reacted slowly and didnt see a silver car on the roundabout. so yeh just gotta try again at least im improving 3minors and i only got them at the roundabout otherwise i would have been perfect :mad:.

Nevermind can only try again i already have a car waiting for me and since i know how to drive i might take my next test in that. do you need a instructor to come with you to the test centre? or can you just take a family member with you my dad said he will come hes been driving for years. im sick of paying out for an instructor when all he does is shout and panic me.

Thanks guys how did your tests go

ReputationRep:
    Don't crash :sexface:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ultimate_Geek)
    If something goes wrong don't panic and presume you've failed.

Even if it seems unredeemable - it might be alright!

Towards the very end of my second test, a huge HGV came hurtling towards me and I moved over, clipped the kerb and nearly crashed into the HGV. I panicked and then approached a round-a-bout incorrectly - this failed me and I would have passed with a perfect test if I hadn't panicked as the lorry situation was correctly handled and not my fault.
    Funnily enough, on my test I felt I did something wrong at very near the beginnning so I had it in my heart that I failed pretty much right from the start but it was this very feeling of "Right I've failed, no point in trying hard for rest of test so just relax" that made me actually pass in the end!

ReputationRep:
    Yep failed my third today too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RiskyRix)
    hey guys got my 3rd test tommorow, basically this is what happened 1st test i failed because a lady walked out into the road on a zebra crossing and i saw her in good time and was about to stop but before i had a chance the examiner slammed the brakes on and was complaining why didnt you stop are you blind! This i feel was unfair and he should have given me a chance to react. 1st test i got 2 serious and 9 minors.

2nd test was completelt different i was near the end of my test literally 5 mins away from the test centre when the examiner tells me we might do a third roundabout since we are early. so i approach roundabout signal correclty but i get into the wrong lane being in a panic since it was so busy that day. I was ment to go 2nd exit on the roundabout and i should have stayed in the left hand lane but being confused i signal right and go into the middle lane resulting in a failure again even though i didnt cause any harm to the other drivers when i later signaled left and came over and left at the 2nd exit.

Anyway thats all in the past. i started driving again 2 months ago had about 16 hours of practise since then and feel much more comfortable driving around and doing maneuvers. i did a mock test on monday and passed with 13 minors the other mock tests i done the last two times i failed really bad something like 10 minors 4 serious. So this had boosted my confidence a bit compared to last time.

my last test was back in july 2010 when independant driving was not introduced so this is all new to me. should i be worried about this? can they fail you if you go the wrong way? Im guessing not as long as i dont do anythin stupid. I have been watching a series of videos on youtube aswell as reading the high way code to help me.

Thanks guys and wish me luck!
    If he had to slam on the breaks I would have thought you were probably a little too close anyway, he did give you the chance to react which is why he had to intervene.

Don't worry about the independant driving, they might pull you over and show you the map, it's normally pretty simple. Mine was "Go straight over the roundabout, turn left at the traffic lights, continue down and turn right at the next traffic lights." and that was it, barely lasted a few minutes. They won't fail you for going the wrong way, as long as you indicate and do all the revelant checks you'll be fine.

Just try and be confident, take a deep breath and try to not think of it as any different than just driving along with your instructor. And good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by py0alb)
    So you advise just piling through a zebra crossing as if it wasn't even there? I wouldn't even do that without an examiner in the car.
    Why not if you can see from a moderate distance that the surroundings are completely safe? There is no law in the land that says you must ease off and bob your head around like the Churchill dog when your early windscreen vision shows you that nothing can possibly appear in the time before you reach the crossing. Oh, and if you don't have an examiner in the car, do you have to play-act to yourself?

If you are in a 30mph zone, and you're cruising at 29mph, and you come up to a zebra crossing, just ease off the gas to about 25, make sure to turn your head to look at both sides of the crossing, (and proceed if its safe to do so, obviously).
    Each one is different, and some have nearby hiding spots for pedestrians to appear from, so these require more caution, but your blanket statement that you use to apply to all crossings is completely wrong.

If you just pile through without even turning your head to look sideways like you recommend, the examiner will simply assume you didn't even notice the crossing and you're gonna get a serious failure.
    Examiners assess. They do not assume. Your statement is an assumption in itself and completely wrong.

If the examiner says "I'm sorry I'm failing you, but I didn't see you look in the mirror once" and you said "Oh its ok, I used my peripheral vision" would they change their minds?
    There's a difference between peripheral vision within a windscreen zone and information from a door mirror, which in typical car layouts, require at least some eye movement. Besides, it's obvious to an examiner whether they've seen a hazard in their mirror by the way they pull out in front of it. I've seen learners do big exaggerated "Churchill dog" checks in their mirrors, then steer into the next lane and almost sideswipe a passing car. Your "advice" would hardly help in that situation, would it? :facepalm2:

The rest of your post is just stating the obvious, but in a rather obfuscatory manner. Why say brake when you can say "use careful acceleration sense"?
    That's because acceleration sense is completely different to braking. In fact, it doesn't even involve any braking. If you're going to mock other people's well-meaning advice, it helps to know what you're talking about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Advisor)
    Why not if you can see from a moderate distance that the surroundings are completely safe? There is no law in the land that says you must ease off and bob your head around like the Churchill dog when your early windscreen vision shows you that nothing can possibly appear in the time before you reach the crossing. Oh, and if you don't have an examiner in the car, do you have to play-act to yourself?

Each one is different, and some have nearby hiding spots for pedestrians to appear from, so these require more caution, but your blanket statement that you use to apply to all crossings is completely wrong.

Examiners assess. They do not assume. Your statement is an assumption in itself and completely wrong.

There's a difference between peripheral vision within a windscreen zone and information from a door mirror, which in typical car layouts, require at least some eye movement. Besides, it's obvious to an examiner whether they've seen a hazard in their mirror by the way they pull out in front of it. I've seen learners do big exaggerated "Churchill dog" checks in their mirrors, then steer into the next lane and almost sideswipe a passing car. Your "advice" would hardly help in that situation, would it? :facepalm2:

That's because acceleration sense is completely different to braking. In fact, it doesn't even involve any braking. If you're going to mock other people's well-meaning advice, it helps to know what you're talking about.
    You don't know much about psychology do you?

Anyway, more importantly you sound like a dangerous maniac, encouraging learner drivers to "pile through" a zebra crossing. I don't think you should offer any more advice on the motoring forum. If I knew who you were in real life, I would encourage the police to keep a close eye on you before you plough down any more little kids.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RiskyRix)
    hey guys got my 3rd test tommorow, basically this is what happened 1st test i failed because a lady walked out into the road on a zebra crossing and i saw her in good time and was about to stop but before i had a chance the examiner slammed the brakes on and was complaining why didnt you stop are you blind! This i feel was unfair and he should have given me a chance to react. 1st test i got 2 serious and 9 minors.

2nd test was completelt different i was near the end of my test literally 5 mins away from the test centre when the examiner tells me we might do a third roundabout since we are early. so i approach roundabout signal correclty but i get into the wrong lane being in a panic since it was so busy that day. I was ment to go 2nd exit on the roundabout and i should have stayed in the left hand lane but being confused i signal right and go into the middle lane resulting in a failure again even though i didnt cause any harm to the other drivers when i later signaled left and came over and left at the 2nd exit.

Anyway thats all in the past. i started driving again 2 months ago had about 16 hours of practise since then and feel much more comfortable driving around and doing maneuvers. i did a mock test on monday and passed with 13 minors the other mock tests i done the last two times i failed really bad something like 10 minors 4 serious. So this had boosted my confidence a bit compared to last time.

my last test was back in july 2010 when independant driving was not introduced so this is all new to me. should i be worried about this? can they fail you if you go the wrong way? Im guessing not as long as i dont do anythin stupid. I have been watching a series of videos on youtube aswell as reading the high way code to help me.

Thanks guys and wish me luck!
    (Original post by KittieSocks)
    You can't fail from going the wrong way on an independent I did it on my first test and didn't get marked for it, they just want to see you doing everything correctly, mirrors signalling etc. My third test is also tomorrow, so good luck. If you get lost on the independent drive you can ask again for directions too.
    i hope both of you fail! there are too many drivers on the roads today

ReputationRep:
    You don't know much about psychology do you?
    Enough to know that driving examiners don't psycho-analyse anyone. There's the little detail called assessment of circumstances that they're highly trained in.

encouraging learner drivers to "pile through" a zebra crossing.
    before you plough down any more little kids.
    Given our in-depth discussion about circumstances and judgement, I'm amazed how you get from that first statement to the second. Some "little kids" have magically appeared!

If I knew who you were in real life, I would encourage the police to keep a close eye on you
    Ok, it's a deal, but it works both ways. If I know who you are in real life, and I ever see you walking on a zebra crossing, I'll be sure to exaggerate a big long look in my rear mirror just before.. *splat* .. oh, sorry, officer! Didn't see him there, I was busy looking obviously in my offset mirrors as I was told to by this forum guy!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Advisor)
    Enough to know that driving examiners don't psycho-analyse anyone. There's the little detail called assessment of circumstances that they're highly trained in.

Given our in-depth discussion about circumstances and judgement, I'm amazed how you get from that first statement to the second. Some "little kids" have magically appeared!

Ok, it's a deal, but it works both ways. If I know who you are in real life, and I ever see you walking on a zebra crossing, I'll be sure to exaggerate a big long look in my rear mirror just before.. *splat* .. oh, sorry, officer! Didn't see him there, I was busy looking obviously in my offset mirrors as I was told to by this forum guy!
    If you keep piling through zebra crossings, sooner or later someone is gonna get killed. Most likely a little kid. Now that may not bother you, but it would bother me, and hence I slow down for zebra crossings. I also make an exaggerated effort to look in every direction, yes.

Anyway, don't bother trying to convince me, save your excuses for the police. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by air-ninety-one)
    i hope both of you fail! there are too many drivers on the roads today

How rude, how about you get off this forum? Bloody cheek.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KittieSocks)
    How rude, how about you get off this forum? Bloody cheek.
    yeh there was no need for that very rude why are yu against drivers? how did yu get on kittiesocks?

ReputationRep:
    Failed my third test, got two serious and something like 8 minors? I was my own fault for not changing gear at a roundabout then stalling, I'm not too gutted as I'm quite determined to do it, I'll just keep on trying my best!

ReputationRep:
    If you keep piling through zebra crossings, sooner or later someone is gonna get killed. Most likely a little kid. Now that may not bother you, but it would bother me, and hence I slow down for zebra crossings. I also make an exaggerated effort to look in every direction, yes.

Anyway, don't bother trying to convince me, save your excuses for the police. :rolleyes:
    I thought the discussion was about zebra crossings that are clear? If the zebra crossing is clear and there are no people looking to use it (or indeed cross in front of or behind it, as is common), then why should you lose any speed going over it?

It sounds to me like you drive by habit rather than observing the situation in question.

ReputationRep:

You're talking absolute nonsense. There is absolutely no need to slow down at a zebra crossing if it is clear that there is nobody nearby who may be looking to use it. What you're suggesting will only make people pick up faults on their test and irritate drivers behind them when driving solo. It also does nothing to help protect pedestrians, providing sensible judgment is used dependant on the situation.

Of course there should be appropriate caution used if there are people around it, especially children, that goes without saying. You are failing, however, (at least in your argument here) to realise that each individual situation on the roads is different, and while some zebra crossings will have perfect unobstructed views of the pedestrian paths around it, others may have visual obstructions.

You must use good judgment in deciding whether it is necessary to slow down for potential hazards; suggesting that it is necessary to slow down for every zebra crossing is as incorrect as suggesting you should stop at every roundabout to ensure that no traffic is coming. It is all about anticipation and judgment.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.