Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello there!

I am going to begin my undergraduate physics course in October. I am presently in my gap year and want to spend the time in studying more mathematics.

Mathematical content in physics and engineering course seem to ignore the rigor and formalism pure mathematics. However, I want to learn "Mathematics", not just "Applied Mathematics".

I am seeking advice on how I should organise my gap year study so that I get a rigorous introduction to mathematics. I am presently studying calculus and basic analysis.

Please suggest a suitable sequence of mathematical topics for me.

Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    First and Second Order (Homogeneous and Non-) Differential Equations.

Vectors (a must for Physics).

Matrix Algebra.

Fourier Series/Transform.

Laplace Transform.

You won't even need all of that for your first year. I do an Electronic Engineering degree at a good uni and the Mathematics involved was barely above A-Level in the first year. Second year, different story!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Omio)
    Hello there!

I am going to begin my undergraduate physics course in October. I am presently in my gap year and want to spend the time in studying more mathematics.

Mathematical content in physics and engineering course seem to ignore the rigor and formalism pure mathematics. However, I want to learn "Mathematics", not just "Applied Mathematics".

I am seeking advice on how I should organise my gap year study so that I get a rigorous introduction to mathematics. I am presently studying calculus and basic analysis.

Please suggest a suitable sequence of mathematical topics for me.

Thanks in advance.
    Linear algebra and differential equations..

ReputationRep:
    So what does the equation in your sig mean?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by electriic_ink)
    I'd be interested to know this too :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    The most important thing in terms of preparation is: integration; vectors, matrix multiplication and a good understanding of polar coordinates will also help.

If you're interested, in the first year I've covered:
    hyperbolic functions, convergence of series, Taylor series, complex numbers (standard, polar & trig forms & solving complex equations), limits of functions, matrices (Gaussian elimination, inverse, eigenvalues and eigenvectors, diagonalisation of square & non-square matrices), vectors (including 2D, cylindrical and spherical polar coordinates), ordinary differential equations (first-order separable, homogeneous & linear; second-order linear homogeneous & non-homogeneous), Fourier series, partial derivatives, separable partial differential equations (first and second-order), multi-dimensional integration (Cartesian and polar), line integrals... plus a fair bit of repetition of A-levels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by electriic_ink)
    the Schrödinger equation

ReputationRep:
    Schrodinger you sick, sick man.

ReputationRep:
    If you want to study analysis, the order in which we're taught at Cambridge for the first analysis course, which seems pretty natural is:

Sequences
    Series
    Continuity
    Differentiability
    Taylor's Theorem
    Integration

I'd say linear algebra is something that you might want to consider looking into, as well as perhaps group theory (or more generally [abstract] algebra). There's nothing wrong with studying them all at the same time, and in fact these three major areas (analysis, linear algebra, group theory) which maths students meet are not dependent on one another.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 25, 2011

University open days

1. University of Edinburgh
    All Departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  2. University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  3. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.