Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I often drive in areas where the school zone signs appear with the speed limit of 20 on, but because my lessons are usually midafternoon or evenings it's never really affected me. With my test being at 9:15 tomorrow, would I need to go 20 when entering a school zone? And if not, should I go 20 anyway to be safe?

ReputationRep:
    It will be pretty clear if you need to go 20, doesn't the sign flash up loads?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chemical_bex)
    It will be pretty clear if you need to go 20, doesn't the sign flash up loads?
    With the school crossing signs yes, but most of them are just square signs that say "School Zone 20"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dknt)
    With the school crossing signs yes, but most of them are just square signs that say "School Zone 20"
    Okay, well I've honestly not seen a sign like that.
    Up here the signs say School Zone 20 and if they are unlit, then it's 30 but if they are flashing it's 20.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dknt)
    I often drive in areas where the school zone signs appear with the speed limit of 20 on, but because my lessons are usually midafternoon or evenings it's never really affected me. With my test being at 9:15 tomorrow, would I need to go 20 when entering a school zone? And if not, should I go 20 anyway to be safe?
    My dad got a ticket for going at 30 in a school 20 zone, even though it was 6pm. I generally always go at 20 just to be safe now...although they could be just very strict in my area.

ReputationRep:
    There is a big difference between a statutory 20 speed limit denoted by large red ringed signs such as
    or and the advisory 20 zones denoted by the rectangular text signs "SCHOOL ZONE" containing tiny 20s as the O letters.

The shape of the sign gives the answer. Whilst you should not drive too quickly in any school zone, you should not drive unduly slowly in the advisory 20s when it is clear there are no children in sight, empty clear roads and traffic is starting to bunch up behind you.

ReputationRep:
    As advisor said, if its the normal red ring speed limit sign, then you MUST not exceed 20. If its a timed speed limit (when lights and signs show) then you can drive at the normal speed limit if its not lit.

If its an advisory (black box) then its there for a reason, if it looks like there are any kids around, take the advice... if not drive normally, but pay attention

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.