Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Lately I've been hit with depression, and I have only had the courage to contact my GP and book an appointment with my doctor about it today.

I haven't been going to work and have been calling in sick, I went into work on Monday and was sent home by the supervisor. He said I didn't look "fit enough" to work. He also told me to take the rest of the month off.

The job that I have is part-time at 8 hours a week, so at the moment I have missed 4 days off work.

I am aware that most employers don't ask for a doctors note unless you've been sick for more then 7 days.

I received a text message from another supervisor today stating that I have to send a doctors note by post into work... However in my contract it does not state this as a procedure.

I feel a bit silly about not seeing a doctor earlier, I personally think it would be a bit cheeky to ask for a doctors note, considering I haven't yet seen a doctor about my problem.

Any advice on what to do would be much appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    You went in to work. So the whole seven day thing is reset from that day.

If the manager told you to take the month off, that's not really you taking a sicky. That's the manager asking you. Text the supervisor telling him to speak to the other supervisor, or just go in to talk to them.

When you go see your GP this week ask him what the procedure is. I don't think they'll be able to diagnose you with depression there and then but I could be wrong. Ergo, he can't really give you a sick note there and then.

ReputationRep:
    You are able to self certify for 7 days. It does not matter what your shift pattern is you must go by the calendar days.
    When you go to the doctor explain the situation and advise when you went off sick and ask for a sick note begining on the 8th day, even if is retrospective. As long as your polite and clear you should have no problems. Fill in the back and send to your employer.

Hope it goes well.

ReputationRep:
    When I went into work on Monday I was willing to work, until I spoke to the supervisor and burst into tears when he said I wasn't fit to work. He said I didn't need a doctors note, if anything he was encouraging me to take more time off, which doesn't exactly help with my confidence in going back there.

Then main reason for going in was to work for those hours and to hand in my notice as well, but he said I shouldn't because I should wait until the date he gave me. I don't want to say I felt bullied into not handing in my notice but I do feel like I was sidetracked from what I wanted to do.

The calender days instead of shift times, make perfect sense and I will speak to my GP tomorrow about if it is possible to issue me with a note.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your help. x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brianslade20)
    You are able to self certify for 7 days. It does not matter what your shift pattern is you must go by the calendar days.
    When you go to the doctor explain the situation and advise when you went off sick and ask for a sick note begining on the 8th day, even if is retrospective. As long as your polite and clear you should have no problems. Fill in the back and send to your employer.

Hope it goes well.
    Actually, since the OP has not seen a doctor before now, they will not legitimately be able to back date the sick note.

OP: glad your employer was so understanding, most generally are pretty reasonable given the circumstances. Hope your GP is understanding and you start to get the help you need

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 25, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.