Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I have offers to study Law (llb) at Maastricht and Groningen in the Netherlands and I am wondering if anyone can give me advice on which university would be the better option.

Right now I am temped to accept Groningen because it is in a bigger city (although still relatively small) but I am still far from certain.

Thanks in advance for any help I receive.

ReputationRep:
    I think Maastricht would be the better option due to their teaching style (if that suites you) and their reputation has grown in recent months as a lot of articles have focused on them and not other Dutch universities. Also the town of Maastricht is really nice, I haven't been to Groningen but I know Maastricht is great.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the reply, I have visited both and I think they both seem like very good places to live and study. The PBL (problem based learning) system used by both universities and is, in my opinion, a good style of teaching and certainly much better than just lectures.

My worry is that Groningen seems to be very remote and one could feel quite isolated, if anyone can tell me if this is the case I would be very appreciative. (?)

Also, Maastricht is the opposite, very close to many interesting places (Brussels, Liège, Eindhoven and some places in Germany), but as a student I am not sure if many visits are made to such places, or do people tend to stay in Maastricht itself?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CharlieSheen)
    Thanks for the reply, I have visited both and I think they both seem like very good places to live and study. The PBL (problem based learning) system used by both universities and is, in my opinion, a good style of teaching and certainly much better than just lectures.

My worry is that Groningen seems to be very remote and one could feel quite isolated, if anyone can tell me if this is the case I would be very appreciative. (?)

Also, Maastricht is the opposite, very close to many interesting places (Brussels, Liège, Eindhoven and some places in Germany), but as a student I am not sure if many visits are made to such places, or do people tend to stay in Maastricht itself?
    yes, there aren't that many places surrounding Groningen, but the city itself is pretty awesome. It's big and full of life in my opinion. Lots of young people (and some weird people). However if you want to be close to other cities, Groningen isn't the place for you
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I've got a friend studying law at Groningen, I think she enjoys it! I think it's best to pick the option you'd prefer to go to - after all you're going to be living there, right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inksplodge)
    I've got a friend studying law at Groningen, I think she enjoys it! I think it's best to pick the option you'd prefer to go to - after all you're going to be living there, right?
    Yeah, I will be living there. From what I have read it sounds like a very cool place.

ReputationRep:
    The students I've spoken to at Maastricht say that the location is great because they can do day trips from the places you mentioned. Its location is right in the heart of Europe and near a lot of great places.

ReputationRep:
    Both have their pro's (and con's) I suppose.
    Maastricht is close to Germany and Belgium and a lot of Bachelor programmes are in English, because of the students from those country coming to Maastricht University. Groningen is more a ''student-city'' I think. More faculties with a lot of different Bachelor programmes and therefore more students (approximately twice as much as Maastricht).
    Maybe you've done that already, but it's worth looking at the programmes they offer. Each university has it's own course-track (the focus of the programme). Some courses will be the same, but the focus can be different.

ReputationRep:
    Hi

If I were you I would go for Groningen. I live here and study here and I think its the best town i have ever been in. Its not to crowdy not to quiet, theres allways somthing to do lots of parties lots of fun and great ppl. Most of Dutch students say its the best town in the Netherlands! The Uni is as far as i know the best in the country. Hope you will make a good choice

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone for the replies, right now I think I will accept Groningen sometime soon.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.