The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Yay, I am staying in the college! :smile: I got their letter on Monday, then I called them and asked whether I could stay two nights, they said ok. Then I cancelled the other room. Gods, I have never before talked to an English native speaker on a phone, so I am surprised I understood what they were saying. Maybe I am not so bad at English after all :rolleyes:
Reply 41
I can just about see it for 'you've got nothing to lose', but what about 'its their loss if they don't take you'? (thanks to my maths teacher for that one). Actually, I would say its more my loss. Except, of course, I have nothing to lose.

I think I may be starting to get nervous.
Reply 42
Relax people
all thsi talk about loads to lose and getting nervous...

after all in the film "You Only Live Twice" 1967 James Bond said "You forget I took a first in Oriental langiages at Cambridge"
-- now I dont thinK James Bond indulged in fear talk aboout hwo he would lose etc before he went to his interview.....!! LOL
?
Well, I know for sure I've got a bit to lose (not really btu I'm gonna rant anyway). I'm not only spending money to go down to Cambridge...extortionate tube fares and I'll probably go the cheap route by coach..I'm only in London so it's ok. But I'm also losing a day at both of my jobs..both of em..so I've lost about 10 hours worth of pay. I mean if I get in it'll be worth it..but still...
Reply 44
Manifest
The favourite phrase you hear people say when you think about applying to oxbridge is "You ve got nothing to lose". I don't know about others but in my case, I think I have got lots to lose. Okay for instance, before sending my CAF, I was asked to pay £10. That seems reasonably cheap but not everyone can afford it I guess. Apart from that, the cost of transport down to Cambridge is about £40 and when I get there I will still have to take a taxi to my college. (God knows how much that will cost me).

Let's leave the financial aspect, from educational point of view, I have not even being given an offer yet but whenever my headteacher sees me it is like why are you there bla bla bla all she wants us to do is read our books (Not only for oxbridge but our predictions).Even when you get the offer, the whole pressure of getting the A's by all means will be on you. The worst thing is when you don't make the grades at the end.

I don't know about others but as for me I think my life would be a bit disorganised.

Not that I'm crazy about oxbridge or it is a must for me but what I am trying to point out is that, from the stage of writting personal statement, submitting CAF, SAQ, Interview, Pool and travelling to making the grades for your course. If someone tell me I ve got nothing to lose I will feel like what the H*LL are you talking about? I just pray I don't lose too much :biggrin: :biggrin:

I'm afraid I got to read now (You see what I mean? :mad: )

is really the sort of attitude we should have when applying to oxbridge. you should have a passion for your subject which would get rid of the "i have got to read now" otherwise dont apply!
Reply 45
if you think applying isn't worth it, then apply!.....no one's forcing you to!!
Reply 46
Saf!

I think your logic is slightly broken :smile:

A.
Reply 47
Had my first real go at boolean maths yesterday in labs - quite interesting I thought. I especially like converting a canonical expression into a circuit diagram. So fun.
Saf!

:rofl:, I think it was a typing mistake. lol she's doing medicine as well. :biggrin:
Reply 49
darkenergy
:rofl:, I think it was a typing mistake. lol she's doing medicine as well. :biggrin:
omg!...:redface: i didn't even realise!!....never mind!
Reply 50
... it will cost me my flight from Hong Kong if i cant get in i guess...
Reply 51
It will cost me those hundreds of brain cells that died over stressing over apps/interview/waiting for letter. =P
jessiek
It will cost me those hundreds of brain cells that died over stressing over apps/interview/waiting for letter. =P
You've something like 100 billion anyway, so applying has cost you less than a night out drinking and a blow to the head :p:
Reply 53
AlphaNumeric
You've something like 100 billion anyway, so applying has cost you less than a night out drinking and a blow to the head :p:

Lol...can't afford that now. Need all the brain cells I can get cuz of my final exams now.. I really should be cramming for my test (in an hour's time) instead of surfing TSR. :p:

Latest

Trending

Trending