Turn on thread page Beta

I think I like my friend.. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So I have been friends with this guy since we were at school and we are close friends. It never crossed my mind when we were at school that I might like him as more than a friend, he always used to be there during bad times to give me a hug or talk to me.
    When we were in our final year he got a girlfriend, that's when it started really. I used to watch them together and suddenly feel like I was going to cry.
    We went to different colleges and he stayed with this girl up until about a month ago, we stayed friends but not as close as we used to be.
    Sometimes when we are out together I think he might be dropping hints that he likes me, but other times he does nothing. Sometimes when we are texting each other I feel like I am inconviencing him or boring him, I don't want to keep contacting him incase he gets sick of me.
    He is going through a bad time at the moment with one thing or another and I just want to be there for him, but sometimes I get the feeling he doesn't want me.

Sorry for rambling on, feeling a bit crap about this atm.

ReputationRep:
    Talk to him as if it were something someone has mentioned to you.
    They always see you out together and wondered if you'd ever been an item. Chances are he will see right through it but it gives you a level of deflection even if it is flimsy.

ReputationRep:
    and the friendzoned becomes the friendzoner

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by London17)
    So I have been friends with this guy since we were at school and we are close friends. It never crossed my mind when we were at school that I might like him as more than a friend, he always used to be there during bad times to give me a hug or talk to me.
    When we were in our final year he got a girlfriend, that's when it started really. I used to watch them together and suddenly feel like I was going to cry.
    We went to different colleges and he stayed with this girl up until about a month ago, we stayed friends but not as close as we used to be.
    Sometimes when we are out together I think he might be dropping hints that he likes me, but other times he does nothing. Sometimes when we are texting each other I feel like I am inconviencing him or boring him, I don't want to keep contacting him incase he gets sick of me.
    He is going through a bad time at the moment with one thing or another and I just want to be there for him, but sometimes I get the feeling he doesn't want me.

Hey, I know how you feel! Been there and done that, so I hope my advice is helpful to you.
    I had strong feelings for one of my male best friends and there was a point when I got pretty annoyed when my female friend was touching him and all that (knowing I liked him and when she had a boyfriend). I told him I liked him and it took four months before I got a response. It wasn't the one I was hoping for, but not one that upset me. He told me he was gay. Okay, so it's not exactly the same, but I did feel a pest when I used to text/Facebook him. He also has a lot on his plate and I am going through similar issues, so I thought we'd be a good match.
    If I were you, I'd be honest and tell him. If he's a true friend, he won't act like an idiot and your friendship won't be strained. Me and my friend are closer now than we've ever been and I suppose we appreciate each other's existence immensely, but there won't be a relationship. If you don't ask, you don't get. If you just leave it, he might find someone else and you'll be in that horrible situation all over again.
    If you want any more info, please contact me x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Over The Rainbow X)
    Hey, I know how you feel! Been there and done that, so I hope my advice is helpful to you.
    I had strong feelings for one of my male best friends and there was a point when I got pretty annoyed when my female friend was touching him and all that (knowing I liked him and when she had a boyfriend). I told him I liked him and it took four months before I got a response. It wasn't the one I was hoping for, but not one that upset me. He told me he was gay. Okay, so it's not exactly the same, but I did feel a pest when I used to text/Facebook him. He also has a lot on his plate and I am going through similar issues, so I thought we'd be a good match.
    If I were you, I'd be honest and tell him. If he's a true friend, he won't act like an idiot and your friendship won't be strained. Me and my friend are closer now than we've ever been and I suppose we appreciate each other's existence immensely, but there won't be a relationship. If you don't ask, you don't get. If you just leave it, he might find someone else and you'll be in that horrible situation all over again.
    If you want any more info, please contact me x
    Thank you so much for your advice, It's getting to a point now where I don't know whether to talk to him or not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by London17)

If he's going through a tough time, I'd delay telling him until he has come through - because his feelings could be all over the place and he may not want anything at the time being.
    I know it's difficult, but if you feel like you are inconveniencing/boring him - wait for him to text you - or just talk via the phone whenever you want to meet up, and if you are going to tell him that you like him, just make sure it's not a hinty text it'll always be better face-to-face.

Hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    just find the right time to tell him the truth..that's just it.. friends will always be friends and right after you confess to him if he will not change his treatment on you then that'll be great..a true friend understands. if he responded the other way around then still remain to be the same friend that you were to him.. good luck then buddy..

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 22, 2011
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.