The Student Room Group

ENOUGH!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by eliixx
Not even maybe the people he's killing? Just a thought.

Iraq.nuff said.
Original post by garethDT
It's bizarre how similar this is to Iraq and yet has almost unanimous public support.

oil rich country? check

no threat to us or its neighbours? check

Western propaganda saying its to remove an evil dictator? check

As I said, it is totally different to Iraq.

The support of the arab world / nations in the area. Check.
The support of the UN and the international community. Check.
No ground troops / invasion. Check.

We don't have the backing of the Arab league. And how does the backing of the UN make it okay?

In terms of what the Arab league have said, as far as I am aware, they have just said they are concerned that the bombing may affect civilians. They have not said they don't want us there.

And the backing of the UN is important as it "legitimises" the action. Other nations are in agreement with us, and it isn't just us following americas lead.

I suppose you were against us helping out in Bosnia in the mid 90's?
Original post by Steezy
Well, either work your way up the political ranks & try to make a difference (you won't be able to anyway unless you take over the world's oil and weapons industry) or just live your life and hope you're never unfortunate enough to live in one of these countries.

basically kill people
Original post by WelshBluebird

The international community is 'not' behind the invasion. Germany, Russia China and India all abstained. We were supported by those well known superpowers, Gabon and Nigeria
The Arab league initially backed the idea of a no-fly zone but when the coalition interpreted that as a license to bomb the hell out of the place the Arab league withdrew its support.

It's bizarre how similar this is to Iraq and yet has almost unanimous public support.

oil rich country? check

no threat to us or its neighbours? check

Western propaganda saying its to remove an evil dictator? check

It's weird how with hindsight most people are very much regretful of the Iraq war and can see through the propaganda yet when the same thing happens with Libya they fall for it hook line and sinker.

SOMEBODY has common sense on thsi thread! : D yet i cant give reps! :'(
I agree with every letter you write:smile:
Reply 45

In terms of what the Arab league have said, as far as I am aware, they have just said they are concerned that the bombing may affect civilians. They have not said they don't want us there.

And the backing of the UN is important as it "legitimises" the action. Other nations are in agreement with us, and it isn't just us following americas lead.

How does the support of other countries legitimise it? You really think that if several countries conspire to bomb another country that makes it morally right? that's completely illogical.

How does no ground troops make a difference? How the operation is executed has little to do with the politics.
Original post by Aeschylus
The international community is 'not' behind the invasion. Germany, Russia China and India all abstained. We were supported by those well known superpowers, Gabon and Nigeria

looooooooooooooooooooool:biggrin:
Reply 47
Original post by Menakshelatte
basically kill people

First try to form a valid, intelligent opinion before trying to take over the arms & oil industries.

Those are the two industries which are a) most affluent and b) most powerful. They influence politics so heavily, that they basically rule the world. If you were to takeover these industries, you could change the world. Whether that be killing people or creating peace (if "peace" is actually attainable without wiping out most of the world anyway).

In short - shut up.
(edited 13 years ago)
How does the support of other countries legitimise it? You really think that if several countries conspire to bomb another country that makes it morally right? that's completely illogical.

How does no ground troops make a difference? How the operation is executed has little to do with the politics.

We are on a different page at the minute.
I am talking about the legal / political reasoning.
One major problem with Iraq was that it was probably illegal under international law. We did not have a UN resolution to go in there and we did not have the support of other nations.
This time is different. There is no uncertainty, we are acting under law.

As for no ground troops making a difference, I am talking about the outcomes. Another reason why Iraq was a disaster is because we had troops in there for years after the war was technically over. That will not happen here because there are no troops there to start with.
Original post by Steezy
First try to form a valid, intelligent opinion before trying to take over the arms & oil industries.

Those are the two industries which are a) most affluent and b) most powerful. They influence politics so heavily, that they basically rule the world. If you were to takeover these industries, you could change the world. Whether that be killing people or creating peace (if "peace" is actually attainable without wiping out most of the world anyway).

In short - shut up.

I dont actually belive you can write bold bit as an option. you sp@sticated mong.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 50
We are on a different page at the minute.
I am talking about the legal / political reasoning.
One major problem with Iraq was that it was probably illegal under international law. We did not have a UN resolution to go in there and we did not have the support of other nations.
This time is different. There is no uncertainty, we are acting under law.

As for no ground troops making a difference, I am talking about the outcomes. Another reason why Iraq was a disaster is because we had troops in there for years after the war was technically over. That will not happen here because there are no troops there to start with.

A law that you make up yourself is not really legitimate. And the countries opposed to intervention abstained rather than veto it so as not to fall out with the coalition countries.

I wouldn't bet on there being no 'peace-keeping' (there's some double speak for you) troops being involved at some point.
A law that you make up yourself is not really legitimate. And the countries opposed to intervention abstained rather than veto it so as not to fall out with the coalition countries.

I wouldn't bet on there being no 'peace-keeping' (there's some double speak for you) troops being involved at some point.

Both of those are just your opinions really. No facts at all.
There is no point carrying on because obviously we disagree with it.
But there are huge differences between this and Iraq. That is fact.
Reply 52
Referring to your Palestine post

The reason the government don't care about Palestine is because Arabs immigrate all over the world no one complains about it they just accept it. When a few Jews want to immigrate you start moaning about it. Stop immigrating then we will stop Israel.
Reply 53
I dont actually belive you can write bold bit as an option. you sp@sticated mong.

Christ you're thick.

What I'm trying to say to you is you can't do anything about it (especially with your level of debating skills and intelligence), so stop making threads on TSR like people give a **** about your pathetic opinion.
Original post by Rory :)
The reason the government don't care about Palestine is because Arabs immigrate all over the world no one complains about it they just accept it. When a few Jews want to immigrate you start moaning about it. Stop immigrating then we will stop Israel.

That is a MASSIVE lie. I won't trust the US,UK Un with holding my bag of vomit let alone this.
Original post by Steezy
Christ you're thick.

What I'm trying to say to you is you can't do anything about it (especially with your level of debating skills and intelligence), so stop making threads on TSR like people give a **** about your pathetic opinion.

oh wow I'm so scaredddddd.I'm gonna obey your orders now.
Just get off my thread and dont comment again.
Reply 56
Both of those are just your opinions really. No facts at all.
There is no point carrying on because obviously we disagree with it.
But there are huge differences between this and Iraq. That is fact.

Well the fact that the countries opposed to intervention abstained is undisputed fact.

And as for peace keeping troops I said quite clearly that that was my opinion, so don't act like I've tried to mislead anyone. I wasn't childish enough to put FACT at the end of my sentences.

We could argue about the similarities of Iraq and Libya all day long. It's like comparing an apple and a banana with me arguing that they are both fruit and you arguing that they are completely different colours and shapes. Pointless argument.
Reply 57
That is a MASSIVE lie. I won't trust the US,UK Un with holding my bag of vomit let alone this.

You must be an Arab as you believe a bag of vomit to be actually worth something, can I trade you for a bag of my Faeces?

Whether it's a lie or not you have to think about the fact that Palestine has no oil, it's not really worth saving. Get oil = get help.
Reply 58
Unless David Cameron is lurking on TSR, this thread is pretty pointless.

We could argue about the similarities of Iraq and Libya all day long. It's like comparing an apple and a banana with me arguing that they are both fruit and you arguing that they are completely different colours and shapes. Pointless argument.

That is kind of the point though. They are very different.

Personally, I'm quite conflicted in my support for military action in Libya.
Part of me supports it, as my morals tell me stopping Gadaffi murdering his own people is the right thing to do. Plus, we sold him the weapons and tanks, so surely it is partly our responsibility?
But the other part of me opposes it, as we apparantly have no money (load of BS that is).
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest