Turn on thread page Beta

ENOUGH! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fallen_acorns)
    lol, there is a large amount of ignorance on this thread, from both sides (for and against)

personally, i feel a middle ground should be reached, so to cover some points:

yes, this does have some similarities to iraq:

action taken by a western country, to get rid of a dictator

oil rich country (not The sole reason we took action as some people like to think, but certianly a motivating factor - over helping other countries)

But it also has a lot of differences, which have to be aknowledged:

Backed by the UN, (this does not moraly justify it, but it does make it legal, and internationaly ok(to use a terrible phrase))

Lybia has a full scale rebellion, which aims to establish a democracy, and over throw a dictator (iraq didnt have this... Very key point)

Lybian rebellion, (arguably half the country) has said multiple times, that They want us there (much different to iraq)

No matter how bad the bombing is, it is not a ground invasion (yet... but still)

Now, onto the other big debate, OIL.

my opinion, is that we didnt invade purely for oil, however it would be nieve to say that it wasnt a motivating factor.

when waying up a pro-con list, it definatly helps, that we could potentially secure oil reserves,

however it is by no means the large issue that people make it out to be... gadalfi said himself, that if the west doesnt interviene, he will honor all trade agreements, and continue trading as normal... so we have no real reason to invade, other than the benifit of having more control + oil not in the hands of a mad dictator...

As for the point, about why should we get involved from a moral point of view... I hardly think the goverments of the world should sit by and do nothing as innocent people are killed by their own goverment... It is always argued that why not help other countries in need, zimbabwe, etc... and I agree, that it would be great for the international comunity (not just the uk) to help more countries, rid them selves from cruel dictators, HOWEVER, that does not make this intervention any less good...Helping one country is still better than helping none, after all... (even if it makes us slightly hypocritical)

So the situation as a whole: to sum up:

its partly about oil,
    its partly to get rid of a dictator
    its partly to help the people avoid slaughter
    its partly, because lybia holds a very strategic position
    its partly the various goverments, trying to look good by 'saving inocent people'
    its partly hypocritical, as we could have helped many other countries
    it partly has similarities to iraq, (but also quite a few major differences)
    and im sure ive left out many other things....

but thats just to point out, that its not as simple as: ITS ALL FOR THE OIL!!!!!111!!!!... or ITS ALL ABOUT SAVING THE INOCENT!!!!1111!!11!
    By far the most sensible post I've seen in this thread. Though I don't entirely agree with all of the points.

It's sad that public opinion has been reduced to such a black and white mindset of 'you're with us or you're with the terrorists'. I've made many posts on this forum disputing the given reason for intervention only to be told that I support the killing of innocent civilians:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fallen_acorns)
    i take it youve been to the many isreal/palestine threads on here... your not alone feeling that....
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Menakshelatte)
    yh but th're not "helping" Libya either are they??
    what if it ends like iraq?
    Impossible. Mainly because there will not be troops in Libya. The US believe it or not wants to sort out its relations with the Arab World. Not many states like being hated by an entire continent

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by B-Man.)
    Israel has targetted innocent civillians on a number of occasions. During the 2009 Gaza War Israel deliberatley targetted civillians in disproportionate attacks on civillian areas as was discovered by the UN Human Right Council's investigation. Read this and this.

Also Gaddafi didn't claim he was going to slaughter Benghazi he claimed he would slaughter the Al-Qaeda terrorists who were trying to destabilise Libya.
    NB: I am aware this is grade A bull**** come from a mad man.
    You might have noticed reports in the national press recently about how most of a civiian family was killed in Itamar. Two young children aged 11 and 3 three years of age plus a four month old baby had their throats slit. Picture, if you can, a grown man standing over a sleeping baby with a knife in his hand and then deliberately slitting the baby's throat.
    Yes, bombs do go astray, and yes innocent people are killed by mistake. But this incident was no mistake. It was not done in error. It was calculated, planned and deliberate. What's more, the kind citizens of Gaza actually celebrated the murders, and were so full of joy at what had been done handed out sweets in the street to make it even more of an enjoyable occasion.
    I think you would concede that the state of Israel has the power, if it so decided, to wipe out the entire population of Gaza in a few hours.
    When you think of events such as the firebombing of Tokyo and the bombing of Dresden and consider the hundreds of thousands killed by firebombing in a very short period of time , the deliberate targetting of civilians as a method of winning a war, you may start to think about just how restrained and civilized the Israelis have been.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Impossible. Mainly because there will not be troops in Libya. The US believe it or not wants to sort out its relations with the Arab World. Not many states like being hated by an entire continent
    There's no troops but there's bombs and other weaponsplus what if they change their minds about troops?:confused:

Why do i think that the US dont care about the east?
    I hope that's the case(sortingout relations),but they have SUCH a long way to go...
    honestly the US has totally filled it's limits with Iraq&Palestine..I wont even count how they tested the nuclear bomb in Japan..Japan bombed pearl Harbour I know,But "Nuclear bomb"?!

anyways If they cause the slightest damage to Libya I dont think there'll be any going back on it..asia won't forgive.This goes for the UK AND the UN who supported the US last time.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Menakshelatte)
    There's no troops but there's bombs and other weaponsplus what if they change their minds about troops?:confused:

Why do i think that the US dont care about the east?
    I hope that's the case(sortingout relations),but they have SUCH a long way to go...
    honestly the US has totally filled it's limits with Iraq&Palestine..
    If they cause the slightest damage to Libya I dont think there'll be any going back on it..asia won't forgive.
    Its illegal and will lead to plenty of American soldiers dying the public do not want that. Not when Obama is getting ready to fight an election this year.

The Arabs support the no fly zone. Once they bombardments stop and there are clearly defined goals in the conflict the Arab League will come more fully on board.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arbolus)
    The difference is that Israel has never actively tried to kill innocent Palestinian civilians. It's just that it's rather careless and doesn't seem to care if some are killed by accident. .
    They did, almost in every military operation in Gaza. Of course they won't say it in public, but trust me, everyone in the army headquarters and the government knows about it.

I hate that Israel claim to be very humane and trying not to kill civilians, but they so much do it.
    I don't claim that the only things they do is killing civilians and that Israel is the only Evil side, but they are far from being innocent angels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kathy89)
    They did, almost in every military operation in Gaza. Of course they won't say it in public, but trust me, everyone in the army headquarters and the government knows about it.

I hate that Israel claim to be very humane and trying not to kill civilians, but they so much do it.
    I don't claim that the only things they do is killing civilians and that Israel is the only Evil side, but they are far from being innocent angels.
    Tha last thing Israel can do form now on,is moan about htiler

ReputationRep:
    I want to see USA and Britain and the major European countries openly condemding the Bahraini rulers. Today the evil dictatorship razed a hospital to the ground because it was treating injured protesters. War planes are bombing civilians as we speak.

This report yesterday sums up the European view, they say "accidents happen": http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011...kdown-eu-envoy Why is it being played down?

Yemen is another volatile situation but it's the same old thing again. Like Bahrain, the dicatorship is heavily supported by America. Anyone notice a pattern here?
    Just like in Egypt, it's a softly softly approach because American interests are conflicting with the freedom people are entitled to and the supposed freedom America and the West stand up for.

ReputationRep:
    people what do you think of the updates?!?!?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 28, 2011
Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.