The Student Room Group

Need help on how to write a good GCSE poem/non-ficiton analysis

Exam board: AQA

So how do you strcuture a English Language and English Lit poem? Also what is the best way in answering a non-fiction text? Structure for Mice and Men will also be helpfull :smile:

Thank you in advance ^^

If it's any help I'm doing Simon Armitage and Carol Ann Duffy :smile:

Thanks again, all I need help is structure.
Reply 1
For the poetry question i used this structure:

1) Write about the theme in your introduction- give a brief definition of what you think this theme means. And then explain how this theme is seen throughout the poem

2)Compare the Structure of the poems

how does it relate to the theme (line lenght, punctuation, Layout)

write about the similarities and differences (rhythm, repetition, Stanza shape)

3)Compare the language of the 2 poems

How does it relate to the theme?

Compare the similarities and differences (Images, similes, onomatopoeia, personification, alliteration, persona etc...)

4)Compare the feelings and attitudes, again similarities and differences

5)Write personal response to the poem, what one did you prefer?

Thats how you could structure your essay :smile:
Reply 2
Thank you, how about Mice and Men?
Reply 3
Original post by DreDre16
For the poetry question i used this structure:

1) Write about the theme in your introduction- give a brief definition of what you think this theme means. And then explain how this theme is seen throughout the poem

2)Compare the Structure of the poems

how does it relate to the theme (line lenght, punctuation, Layout)

write about the similarities and differences (rhythm, repetition, Stanza shape)

3)Compare the language of the 2 poems

How does it relate to the theme?

Compare the similarities and differences (Images, similes, onomatopoeia, personification, alliteration, persona etc...)

4)Compare the feelings and attitudes, again similarities and differences

5)Write personal response to the poem, what one did you prefer?

Thats how you could structure your essay :smile:

Thank you, how about Mice and Men?
Reply 4
With Of Mice and men it would be similar. I did to kill a mockingbird.

In the introduction talk breifly about the theme of the question and how it relates to of mice and men.

Start talking about the structure of the book, does it take part over several days, months, seasons, years? Is the novel split into any parts, if so what is this suggesting, and what happens in each part, is their a difference? If their is not any parts, then talk about having it over one long part.

then you can talk about any suspense and interest that the authour creates. is their any techniques that the author uses throughout the create suspense or dramatic tentsion (this could be linked to the structure as well)? Is it set out throughout a long period of time, and if so was there anything acomplished by the end of the novel (i.e did you find out something near the end that was prolonged at the beginning?) And is it predictable, and if so does this make it more real?

You could then talk about the themes in the novel that is linked to question, pick out key scenes and quotes to help back up your essay.

Language is a key paragraph to focus on. Talk about the writers use of Dialects. it may be hard to understand them at time, but it creates a more realistic approach of the novel and the setting around them. Is their a difference of Dialects used with certain characters?

Remember that you should be refering to the authour, and not just the novel its self, talk about how the author writing style has created the key theme.

Then finish with a personal conclusion that relates to the question
Reply 5
Original post by DreDre16
With Of Mice and men it would be similar. I did to kill a mockingbird.

In the introduction talk breifly about the theme of the question and how it relates to of mice and men.

Start talking about the structure of the book, does it take part over several days, months, seasons, years? Is the novel split into any parts, if so what is this suggesting, and what happens in each part, is their a difference? If their is not any parts, then talk about having it over one long part.

then you can talk about any suspense and interest that the authour creates. is their any techniques that the author uses throughout the create suspense or dramatic tentsion (this could be linked to the structure as well)? Is it set out throughout a long period of time, and if so was there anything acomplished by the end of the novel (i.e did you find out something near the end that was prolonged at the beginning?) And is it predictable, and if so does this make it more real?

You could then talk about the themes in the novel that is linked to question, pick out key scenes and quotes to help back up your essay.

Language is a key paragraph to focus on. Talk about the writers use of Dialects. it may be hard to understand them at time, but it creates a more realistic approach of the novel and the setting around them. Is their a difference of Dialects used with certain characters?

Remember that you should be refering to the authour, and not just the novel its self, talk about how the author writing style has created the key theme.

Then finish with a personal conclusion that relates to the question

Thanks +1 rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending