Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Erythromycin and Alcohol interactions watch

Announcements
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    What are the common interactions?

Does it decrease the efficacy of Erythromycin? Significantly?

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it has a huge effect, might make you a bit drowsy. My mum's taking that just now and still has the odd glass of wine so..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beska)

No particular interaction, but erythromycin can give you unpleasant gastrointestinal side effects like nausea, gastritis and so on. Drinking alcohol will compound that.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Revd. Mike)
    No particular interaction, but erythromycin can give you unpleasant gastrointestinal side effects like nausea, gastritis and so on. Drinking alcohol will compound that.
    So no significant decrease in efficacy of the anti-biotic? Having a quick search around it is often suggested that it makes it less effective, but not sure how much I trust random sites I found on google. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beska)
    So no significant decrease in efficacy of the anti-biotic? Having a quick search around it is often suggested that it makes it less effective, but not sure how much I trust random sites I found on google. :p:
    The BNF doesn't list any such interaction, so probably not. Just be aware of the stomach issue!

(Original post by Beska)

If you have been told not to drink by your doctor don't drink simples. If you haven't then drink to your hearts to content
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    The BNF doesn't list any such interaction, so probably not. Just be aware of the stomach issue!
    I had a read of the BNF and it didn't say, but just wanted to check anyway. Thanks a lot! And will do!

ReputationRep:
    Alcohol has no effect on erythromycin, you'll be glad to know

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehFrance)
    If you have been told not to drink by your doctor don't drink simples. If you haven't then drink to your hearts to content
    Sadly doctors aren't the be all and end all of medical knowledge They frequently get things wrong or over simplify/dumb down. They frequently say things like "You can't drink on antibiotics" because that's quicker and easier than "You can't drink on certain antibiotics, specifically metronizadole, but most other antibiotics are fine. You should be careful though because some antibiotics can cause stomach irritation which alcohol will make worse. Also, if you're not feeling well maybe you shouldn't drink alcohol anyway" :p:

ReputationRep:
    Sadly doctors aren't the be all and end all of medical knowledge They frequently get things wrong or over simplify/dumb down. They frequently say things like "You can't drink on antibiotics" because that's quicker and easier than "You can't drink on certain antibiotics, specifically metronizadole, but most other antibiotics are fine. You should be careful though because some antibiotics can cause stomach irritation which alcohol will make worse. Also, if you're not feeling well maybe you shouldn't drink alcohol anyway" :p:
    It's Metronidazole I'm on it at the minute and they stressed the importance of not drinking on it, and went on to explain why that was - nice to not just receive a blanket ban on alcohol!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah... I'm allergic to erythromycin so I dread what the addition of alcohol would do...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robbolo)
    It's Metronidazole I'm on it at the minute and they stressed the importance of not drinking on it, and went on to explain why that was - nice to not just receive a blanket ban on alcohol!
    D'oh - it was a toss up in my mind between -dazole and -zadole, can never remember which way round it is :p: Some doctors are good, but some are frankly quite poor.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 24, 2011
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.