Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Pakistan children act out suicide blast watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    An amateur video posted on YouTube that shows young boys acting out a suicide attack has been condemned by UNICEF and by children's charities in Pakistan.

The origin of the video is unclear, but it appears to have been filmed in the border areas of Pakistan or Afghanistan.

Some of the participants appear to be as young as three or four.

The BBC's Orla Guerin reports.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-south-asia-12846841

Tragic... :no:

ReputationRep:
    The kids are just having fun, I remember acting as Hitler.

Everything seems to be condemned these days sheez.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stratos)

:facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    They're taking the mic for crying out loud

EDIT: Child terrorists? What the hell is the world going through? Adult terrorists are frightening enough and now children as well? .....

ReputationRep:

(Original post by JongKey)
    They're taking the mic for crying out loud

EDIT: Child terrorists? What the hell is the world going through? Adult terrorists are frightening enough and now children as well? .....
    Are you two closed minded?

These children live in an enviroment where they could easily become terrorists in the future. Obviously we dont know the full context of whats happening in the video but it could set them up to do something for real in the future or right now.

Im sure extremists are well capable of using children as terrorists.

ReputationRep:
    That's tragic. They're just acting out what they see and hear of, Pakistan is already in a state and now the future generation may be following too.

ReputationRep:

Except that this is a part of the world where suicide bombing is common and glorified.

ReputationRep:
    I think they were just playing tbh :dontknow: If an Adult, Taliban fighter was present and gave instructions I would have been worried but it seemed like kids acting out either what they had seen or heard about. For anyone who says the kids must have been acting it out because they admire it, I would recommend watching Channel's 4's 'Children of Gaza' in which some of the children living in Gaza pretended to be Israeli soldiers and acted out beatings and persecution of the other kids - obviously they don't admire the Israeli soldier's actions but are acting out the world around them.

Warfare and tragic events that occur in these war-torn areas have severe psychological trauma and cause kids to be desensitised to the extent where it is incorporated into their 'make believe' games. Although it is still worrying that these events seem to have become a normal-part of Pakistani life (not all regions obviously).

I don't even know how Pakistan is going to come out of the dark place that many regions have turned into, but I pray things get better at some point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RDL445)

These children live in an enviroment where they could easily become terrorists in the future. Obviously we dont know the full context of whats happening in the video but it could set them up to do something for real in the future or right now.

No i'm not close minded. I would never want these children going into terrorism - EVER. What seemed to be going on in my mind was they were just having a bit of fun, taking the mic as all but i can see how terrorists could manipulate them into actually doing stuff like that which explains why i went on to talk about child terrorism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RDL445)

No I am realistic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dirac Delta Function)
    Except that this is a part of the world where suicide bombing is common and glorified.

ReputationRep:
    LOL this is ancient. The daily mail ran this about a month ago. BBC have obviously ran out of news stories.

edit here is the link. 1/3/11

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-Pakistan.html

ReputationRep:
    On average one suicide bomb goes off in Pakistan a day.

The country hasn't seen stability for ages.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sete)
    LOL this is ancient. The daily mail ran this about a month ago. BBC have obviously ran out of news stories.

edit here is the link. 1/3/11

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-Pakistan.html
    :hmmmm: That's weird...I would expect this sort of weak journalism from the Daily Mail but the BBC? That is weak.... I mean right now there are serious natural disasters, possible nuclear meltdowns and revolutions going on throughout the Middle East, yet the best they've got is a redo of a month old Daily Mail story.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by B-Man.)
    Unfortunately these people are blighted by a very large number of lunatics sharing their borders. I hope they win though, Pakistanis are my second favourite people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dirac Delta Function)
    Unfortunately these people are blighted by a very large number of lunatics sharing their borders. I hope they win though, Pakistanis are my second favourite people.
    To be honest once the US drone attacks stop and the international forces leave Afghanistan I think/hope it can start to return to normal.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.