Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm stuck with which to pick. I have unconditional offers at all three due to getting my grades last year. I know it's completely my decision, but here's what I've been thinking:

York

Pros
    - Rated in the top 10 for biology, so good prospects?
    - York as a place seems to be interesting

Cons
    -Not a Russell group university
    -Campus doesn't seem very homely to me

birmingham

Pros
    -Beautiful campus!
    -Seemingly great SU with lots of interesting societies
    -A much more happy atmosphere than the other two (though maybe it's because I went on a sunny day)
    -Russell group university

Cons
    -Rated around 30th for biology, so nowhere near as highly as the other two.
    -Not sure I like Birmingham as a whole area (though the city center is definitely nice)

Nottingham

Pros
    -Pretty nice looking campus with lots of good facilities and big fields.
    -Russell group university
    -Nightlife is apparently pretty good

Cons
    -Not quite as highly rated as york for biology

Those are just a few thoughts, it would be great if anybody that studies at the above universities could advise me on what I may not be considering, or what I may be judging unfairly. It seems to me that I can only have feeling 'at home' (birmingham), an excellent reputation for my subject (York) or both of those things but not to such extremes (Nottingham).

Edit: Just to mention, the courses at all three look equally interesting to me.

ReputationRep:
    Interesting choices..
    I have only looked around Nottingham so far (went to open day yesterday), and was pleasantly surprised - was originally my insurance but now its a real contender. I liked the campus as a whole, and the course sounds pretty good, especially the opportunity to study abroad. The atmosphere also felt relaxed and friendly (but again, weather-related?).

Did you look around Nottingham city though? Its pretty miserable until you get right into the center, though it's rumoured to be one of the top 5 cities for shopping in the UK?? So if you like your retail-therapy, thats another tick to Nottingham.

From what I've gathered from my 'contacts', York isn't such a picturesque campus, but as it's not one of my choices I haven't judged it first-hand so can't be very helpful on that. In terms of running a better course, I don't believe that Yorks course is significantly better. The Graduate employment statistics are virtually the same as with Nottingham, with a few more in further study and in 'Other Employment'... which could technically mean anything. Then again if the facilities are better equipped or the teaching staff more clued, in that would shift it in their favour in terms of a learning experience.

As of Birmingham, I'll be visiting next week so again not much help from me there.

Just out of curiosity, where else did you apply for?

In my opinion, going to university is just as much about the experience as it it the numbers and letters you get out at the end. So its best to choose the one which you can see yourself spending three years of you're life at, where you can fit in and where you can make the most out of the opportunities. And ultimately that's down to you. ^^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bobbycheese)
    Interesting choices..
    I have only looked around Nottingham so far (went to open day yesterday), and was pleasantly surprised - was originally my insurance but now its a real contender. I liked the campus as a whole, and the course sounds pretty good, especially the opportunity to study abroad. The atmosphere also felt relaxed and friendly (but again, weather-related?).

Did you look around Nottingham city though? Its pretty miserable until you get right into the center, though it's rumoured to be one of the top 5 cities for shopping in the UK?? So if you like your retail-therapy, thats another tick to Nottingham.

From what I've gathered from my 'contacts', York isn't such a picturesque campus, but as it's not one of my choices I haven't judged it first-hand so can't be very helpful on that. In terms of running a better course, I don't believe that Yorks course is significantly better. The Graduate employment statistics are virtually the same as with Nottingham, with a few more in further study and in 'Other Employment'... which could technically mean anything. Then again if the facilities are better equipped or the teaching staff more clued, in that would shift it in their favour in terms of a learning experience.

As of Birmingham, I'll be visiting next week so again not much help from me there.

Just out of curiosity, where else did you apply for?

In my opinion, going to university is just as much about the experience as it it the numbers and letters you get out at the end. So its best to choose the one which you can see yourself spending three years of you're life at, where you can fit in and where you can make the most out of the opportunities. And ultimately that's down to you. ^^
    Thanks for your reply!

I didn't look around Nottingham city, I didn't get the time in the end. It sounds similar to Birmingham in the sense that outside the city center it's pretty miserable. I did find Yorks' campus to be a little bit drab, I only got the enthusiastic feel once I was inside the department, and once I got talking to the students. I'm sure you'll love Birmingham as a university like I did, it's definitely the university in which I felt most comfortable. Are you studying biology too?

I've also applied to Sussex and Queen Mary. I've ruled out Sussex because I really didn't like the university at all, and Queen Mary because I decided I want to move further afield (it's only a 10 minute train journey from home).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bernywormy)
    I'm sure you'll love Birmingham as a university like I did, it's definitely the university in which I felt most comfortable. Are you studying biology too?
    Come to Birmingham I am firming biology for there haha! I just think the department was great, the campus had a nice lively atmosphere, accommodation is close by (good for when you're hungover and only have 5 minutes before class) and Birmingham itself is a huge city, and you'll never run out of things to do!

ReputationRep:
    I'm stuck with which to pick. I have unconditional offers at all three due to getting my grades last year. I know it's completely my decision, but here's what I've been thinking:

York

Pros
    - Rated in the top 10 for biology, so good prospects?
    - York as a place seems to be interesting

Cons
    -Not a Russell group university
    -Campus doesn't seem very homely to me

Those are just a few thoughts, it would be great if anybody that studies at the above universities could advise me on what I may not be considering, or what I may be judging unfairly.

Well the Russell Group thing you are judging massively unfairly. The Russell group is just the 20 biggest research unis, its not the 'best' ones. Durham and St Andrews aren't in the Russell group either, and LSE wasn't until recently.

York is generally ranked better than both the other two, so I would ignore the fact its not in the Russell group.

ReputationRep:
    York is in the 1994 group which prioritises research. just cause it's in the russell group doesn't mean its poo

The biology building at York is new and quite fancy and the labs are really nice apparently. An old flatmate did biochem and said the lecturers knew their stuff. I've heard the workload is quite tough though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elandar)
    Well the Russell Group thing you are judging massively unfairly. The Russell group is just the 20 biggest research unis, its not the 'best' ones. Durham and St Andrews aren't in the Russell group either, and LSE wasn't until recently.

York is generally ranked better than both the other two, so I would ignore the fact its not in the Russell group.
    Yeah, I understand that. I guess I know where I'm most comfortable, but am just making my final decisions now on how each uni is regarded by potential employers. I've heard things about the Russell group, and although I don't really know of the benefits of being in a Russell Group university, I'm just trying to think of whether it will have an effect on my employment in the future. Thanks for your advice!

(Original post by Bambi2803)
    York is in the 1994 group which prioritises research. just cause it's in the russell group doesn't mean its poo

The biology building at York is new and quite fancy and the labs are really nice apparently. An old flatmate did biochem and said the lecturers knew their stuff. I've heard the workload is quite tough though
    I did like the department a lot there actually, it looks like a nice place to study! I didn't get a very good look at accomodation, but from what I saw, it looked good. I'm afraid of basing my whole choice on whether I like the 'feel' of a place when there are lots of other things to be taking into account :/

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I understand that. I guess I know where I'm most comfortable, but am just making my final decisions now on how each uni is regarded by potential employers. I've heard things about the Russell group, and although I don't really know of the benefits of being in a Russell Group university, I'm just trying to think of whether it will have an effect on my employment in the future. Thanks for your advice!

I did like the department a lot there actually, it looks like a nice place to study! I didn't get a very good look at accomodation, but from what I saw, it looked good. I'm afraid of basing my whole choice on whether I like the 'feel' of a place when there are lots of other things to be taking into account :/
    Fair enough just to let you know lot of the concrete monstrosities are getting demolished/ nice shiny buildings being built and the ducks are quite endearing. Accommodation is mostly fine but a lot of people get put off by the Soviet Russia-style campus and that's your decision.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mally-xo)
    the campus had a nice lively atmosphere, accommodation is close by (good for when you're hungover and only have 5 minutes before class)
    I think getting to Lectures in 5 minutes in Nottingham would be like running a marathon!

I'm just trying to think of whether it will have an effect on my employment in the future. Thanks for your advice!...

... I'm afraid of basing my whole choice on whether I like the 'feel' of a place when there are lots of other things to be taking into account :/
    I think its just a question of balance. I've just withdrawn from a course in Renewable Energy, after realising that I chose it for the wrong reasons - mainly a guaranteed career at the end of it - but soon figured that after three years of integration and inorganic chemistry and physics my life woulndn't be worth living anyway.. ^^
    Unfortunately that choice led me to more or less disregard the feel of the campus (as it was the only place in UK running the course, and down in Falmouth..). So I'm not going to make the same mistake again, and take a more realistic decision based on what feels right and not on where I feel I should be going.

So sure, go for the one which has a good reputation, but don't let that distract you from the one where you would most LIKE to go. :]

ReputationRep:
    oh yeh, and Biology aswell! :bumps:

ReputationRep:
    I've been out in Birmingham and Nottingham alot. Nightlife and shops are both awesome, found some really cheap places in Birmingham.

Both cities have some areas that arent paticularly nice. I've got offers from york, birmingham and notts for biochemistry and i'm picking nottingham as 1st choice. Awesome campus, course ans city. I love nottingham.

Birmingham accommodation is expensive but really really nice by the way. My friend has an awesome room there but pays like 6 thousand for catered.

ReputationRep:
    York Biology workload is very heavy! But the department is fantastic and I believe for Biology is doing really well in the league tables.

It's been a hard 3 years for me but I thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm not sure what you mean by 'the campus not being homely' but I really love the campus (even though the lake smells sometimes but it looks nice when the sun shines!).

I would recommend York, but I'm obviously biased!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Life Sciences Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.