Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Okay, I'm a little bit confused! I'm sort of looking, vaguely as of yet, at flats/housing for next year with my mates in central-ish London..

How much of a deposit should I be expected to pay up front?? I looked at one house and it is 600£ p/w (4 people, so 150£ per week each) and it says 'Damage deposit 1 month'... That's a 600£ deposit?!

I'm so confused

Anyone any help?

ReputationRep:
    Generally the deposit is 1 and a half months rent, yours is only 1 month so count yourself lucky! That'll probably be £600 each btw. Actually I'm not sure, you'll have to ask! Do you pay individually for the rent or all together?

You'll get it back when you leave, it's just so that if you damage anything they won't have to ask you for money as they'll already have it (unless you do something REALLY bad to your flat ).

ReputationRep:
    Yeah that sounds about right, mine is something ike £690 for next years house. DAYLIGHT ROBBERY.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pippa90)
    Generally the deposit is 1 and a half months rent, yours is only 1 month so count yourself lucky! That'll probably be £600 each btw.

You'll get it back when you leave, it's just so that if you damage anything they won't have to ask you for money as they'll already have it (unless you do something REALLY bad to your flat ).
    Thank you! (that's just one flat that has come up, it might not be the one that we go for because the lease starts June and we're looking for August/September!) I understand that I'd get it back but I don't know where I'll be able to find the £ from in the first place lol..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by severus snape)
    Yeah that sounds about right, mine is something ike £690 for next years house. DAYLIGHT ROBBERY.
    Omg so this is NORMAL? ****.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mel0n)
    Omg so this is NORMAL? ****.

sadly...yes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by severus snape)
    sadly...yes
    Oh man :sad: thanks nevertheless!

ReputationRep:
    its ridiculous that you have to pay a damage deposit it as a landlord he takes out landlord insurance and should understand the risks of renting out a house.dont want damages dont rent out houses simple

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mel0n)
    Thank you! (that's just one flat that has come up, it might not be the one that we go for because the lease starts June and we're looking for August/September!) I understand that I'd get it back but I don't know where I'll be able to find the £ from in the first place lol..
    Mine wasn't anywhere near that We had to pay £225 deposit and £125 admin fee when we signed the agreement - £350 total. Although, that said, my rent is a lot less than yours - pretty much halved (£72 a week) so if you take that into account, I would say it is about right.

Also, I think most places have the lease begin in June - in any case you will have to pay for 12 months, so whether your lease begins in June or September, you will still have to pay the summer on the other end so does it make much difference?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mel0n)
    I know it sucks, but at least student deposits are cheaper! I've seen family houses which have £3000 deposits! :|

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys

ReputationRep:
    My deposit was 1 month's rent plus £100.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mel0n)
    Ask the landlord whether you can sub-let your room to someone else when you won't be there. Most aren't keen on the idea but some are cool with it so it's worth a try! That's what I did the last two summers, but it looks like I'll have to pay this time round.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Altocirrus)
    Ask the landlord whether you can sub-let your room to someone else when you won't be there. Most aren't keen on the idea but some are cool with it so it's worth a try! That's what I did the last two summers, but it looks like I'll have to pay this time round.
    Oh crap I forgot that if the lease starts in June I'll have to have money there to pay up until I stay there in September :eek: ****. I'll have just enough to cover the deposit before I get my loan in September, nvm two months extra rent :bawling:..I might just ask to do what you've said!

ReputationRep:
    Mine was only £200! But rent is £66 so maybe thats why..

ReputationRep:
    66£ rent... :indiff:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beffnee)
    Mine wasn't anywhere near that We had to pay £225 deposit and £125 admin fee when we signed the agreement - £350 total. Although, that said, my rent is a lot less than yours - pretty much halved (£72 a week) so if you take that into account, I would say it is about right.

Also, I think most places have the lease begin in June - in any case you will have to pay for 12 months, so whether your lease begins in June or September, you will still have to pay the summer on the other end so does it make much difference?
    Sorry to drag up such an old thread!!

Did you find your accommodation through an agency? I've seen agencies that say they require 50£pp admin fee and two weeks deposit, but is that on top of the month or so deposit that landlords usually want?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mel0n)

Did you find your accommodation through an agency? I've seen agencies that say they require 50£pp admin fee and two weeks deposit, but is that on top of the month or so deposit that landlords usually want?
    We haven't paid any actual rent yet, just the deposit (which is the equivalent of around 3 weeks rent) and the admin fee. So no, it's not on top of another deposit as well. Ours is not through an agency, just a landlord with only a couple of houses, but the admin fee is for processing something or other... I don't really know what. Sorry if this doesn't answer your question, I was a little confused what you were getting at,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mel0n)

Yeah, agencies usually put an admin fee on top of the deposit landlords already want. Its better to go directly through the landlord if you can.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shelly_x)
    Yeah, agencies usually put an admin fee on top of the deposit landlords already want. Its better to go directly through the landlord if you can.
    Is the housing deposit and first month rent upfront seperate? Oh God this means that it'll be about 900£ up front :eek:

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Downing Students

Universal Student Living

“Over 25 years of perfecting the student accommodation experience. Downing Students. Accommodation Made for you”

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.