Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am e-mailing following routine monthly safety inspections of Water Fire Extinguishers, after which it was discovered that Water Fire extinguisher number 7629 has been tampered with which has now been replaced with Water Fire Extinguisher number 7695
    In this instance we will be looking to split the cost of replacing the extinguisher between all residents.
    Needless to say, I was not involved in this in any way. Anything I can do?

PS) Halls = most stupid, overrated place to live ever.

ReputationRep:
    Unless you can somehow prove that you were not involved, I don't see how you can get out of it unfortunately.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cicerao)

I think that, for this kind of stuff, all residents are charged unless whoever is responsible owns up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gemini92)
    I think that, for this kind of stuff, all residents are charged unless whoever is responsible owns up.
    Any idea on what would happen if I refused to pay? :mmm:

ReputationRep:
    Did you pay a deposit when you moved into halls? Would probably come out of that if you did.

ReputationRep:
    No idea, never been in this situation before. As said above, it might be taken from your deposit.

ReputationRep:
    Utter wazzocks, fml.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    See the residence officer and hope that they get the impression that you're sensible enough to not have tampered with it. I feel for you, we've had a nightmare with fines.

ReputationRep:
    As others have said, if they don't find the the person who did it then everyone will be charged. Once people find out they may be charged they start ratting out on their friends so don't worry, you should be fine.

In my halls last year, someone stole some signs which pointed the way to certain flats/rooms (don't exactly know why) and everyone was fined £10 until the culprit got found out and had to pay a £1000 fine. Like some signs would really cost that much...

ReputationRep:

Hi, I know what you can do. Get said fire extinguisher, then proceed to beat the idiots who messed with it over the head.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kat2pult)
    As others have said, if they don't find the the person who did it then everyone will be charged. Once people find out they may be charged they start ratting out on their friends so don't worry, you should be fine.

In my halls last year, someone stole some signs which pointed the way to certain flats/rooms (don't exactly know why) and everyone was fined £10 until the culprit got found out and had to pay a £1000 fine. Like some signs would really cost that much...
    If the fine wasn't that much then things like that would happen alot more often than that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iqlu)
    Hi, I know what you can do. Get said fire extinguisher, then proceed to beat the idiots who messed with it over the head.
    What could possibly go wrong? :awesome:

ReputationRep:

After having 2 fire extinguisher "incidents" and being fined...well being informed I'll be fined in due course but never hearing anything about it in the end, I can kinda speak from experience.
    In most halls unless the person who did it owns up or is named by other flatmates then it's a communal charge (Should be about £8ish between 8 of you thats what our powder one was)
    And as for refusing to pay it will have been in your lease conditions that you have to follow the disciplinary procedures, so you're bound by the contract to pay the charges as it's basically the same as if you damaged a private flat.

ReputationRep:
    We split the cost between our entire halls, so it worked out as 72p per person. Which was pretty good actually.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Holly Hiskey)
    We split the cost between our entire halls, so it worked out as 72p per person. Which was pretty good actually.
    72p too much! It's the principle! D:<

University open days

• University of East Anglia (UEA)
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Secondary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Thu, 18 Oct '18
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.