Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I got rejected from UCL today (extremely gutted :'() and I was just wondering if anyone could possibly give me a bit of speculation as to why this may have happened (desperate for closure at the moment to be honest). I'm trying to contact UCL for a bit of feedback but there's nobody there available at the time being so I thought I'd come here as a chance to voice my thoughts.
    I applied for French and ab initio Italian and I got 4 As at AS, (3As and a B and resat the B in January) and 100% A*-C grade at GCSE, I had what I'd consider as quite a strong PS and my teachers really praised me in my references, I've also carried on my 4 A-Levels and am predicted 4As. Would the fact that my UCAS reference have had pending on my English lit have made a difference? Would contacting UCL and informing them about my B becoming an A make a difference at all or is it that once the decision is done, it's done?
    Also, I actually got an interview for English at UCL but telephoned UCL and said that I'd had a desperate change of heart and changed my application, I was just finding it shocking that I got an offer for an interview for English which I'd think was massively more competitive than MFLs.
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by curlyvegetarian)
    Would contacting UCL and informing them about my B becoming an A make a difference at all or is it that once the decision is done, it's done?
    Thank you
    Regrettably, once the decision is done, it's done, unless if there is no mistake.
    Because universities deal with data protection legislation, they only would be able to talk you, preferably by email where you should include your full name, course number which you applied for and ID from UCAS...
    Sometimes they give you a brief explanation in UCAS why you have been rejected, but if not or it's not enough, you should contact them directly.

On other hand, you could be just rejected due to large number of well-qualified applicants)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by curlyvegetarian)
    I got rejected from UCL today (extremely gutted :'() and I was just wondering if anyone could possibly give me a bit of speculation as to why this may have happened (desperate for closure at the moment to be honest). I'm trying to contact UCL for a bit of feedback but there's nobody there available at the time being so I thought I'd come here as a chance to voice my thoughts.
    I applied for French and ab initio Italian and I got 4 As at AS, (3As and a B and resat the B in January) and 100% A*-C grade at GCSE, I had what I'd consider as quite a strong PS and my teachers really praised me in my references, I've also carried on my 4 A-Levels and am predicted 4As. Would the fact that my UCAS reference have had pending on my English lit have made a difference? Would contacting UCL and informing them about my B becoming an A make a difference at all or is it that once the decision is done, it's done?
    Also, I actually got an interview for English at UCL but telephoned UCL and said that I'd had a desperate change of heart and changed my application, I was just finding it shocking that I got an offer for an interview for English which I'd think was massively more competitive than MFLs.
    Thank you
    Is this for real? So you're application for MFL degree was rejected, you called up UCL and asked them to re-consider you for English and they accepted this request? This is highly unusual, given how heavily oversubscribed the English department is. They reject plenty of well-qualified applicants so I'm surprised they would accept a request of this nature.

ReputationRep:
    Is this for real? So you're application for MFL degree was rejected, you called up UCL and asked them to re-consider you for English and they accepted this request? This is highly unusual, given how heavily oversubscribed the English department is. They reject plenty of well-qualified applicants so I'm surprised they would accept a request of this nature.

+100

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eggs and Ham)

Hey, no it's the other way around. I originally applied for English, I got an interview, but then I called them and asked to change my subject application to French and Italian but was then made unsuccessful. My point was I found it odd (I'm not being ignorant, I hope I don't come across like that) that they'd consider me for interview for BA Modern Languages Plus (English and French) (highly highly competitive and I got a grade B at AS Level in Eng. Lit. I've also heard that only approximately 8 or so people are accepted to this course...) but then I'd get unsuccessful for changing to an MFL degree (with no English) in a subject I got an A in, I really hope this doesn't come across badly, it's just I find it interesting.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.