Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

best primers watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    ive never used a face primer, so im looking for recommendations please! i have combination skin, with a rubbish oily T zone. so want a decent primer that keeps my makeup on for longer and makes it look more flawless really.

tempted by this.. anyone tried it?

ReputationRep:
    I use Clarin's Flash Beauty Balm and love it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by popple7)
    ive never used a face primer, so im looking for recommendations please! i have combination skin, with a rubbish oily T zone. so want a decent primer that keeps my makeup on for longer and makes it look more flawless really.

For oily skin try Smashbox Photo Finish Light. The Light version contains mattifiers so will help with the oiliness. I wouldn't go for the Clarins Beauty Flash, I have this as well and it has more of a moisturising / plumping effect (no oil control). You can buy the Smashbox one here, they sell full size tubes as well as Try Me size tubes for just a few pounds:

http://www.justbeautydirect.co.uk/pr...er_4mls_tubes/

ReputationRep:

I bought that primer a few days ago cos it was so cheap and I'd read good reviews! I haven't tried it yet but I should do tomorrow. I'll let you know how I get on
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by star_violet)
    For oily skin try Smashbox Photo Finish Light. The Light version contains mattifiers so will help with the oiliness. I wouldn't go for the Clarins Beauty Flash, I have this as well and it has more of a moisturising / plumping effect (no oil control). You can buy the Smashbox one here, they sell full size tubes as well as Try Me size tubes for just a few pounds:

http://www.justbeautydirect.co.uk/pr...er_4mls_tubes/
    I second the Smashbox Photo Finish Light.

The mini tubes look like excellent value for money (£3.50 for 8.5ml) considering the full size 30ml bottle retails at £29.

Shame about the delivery price though...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ilora-Danon)
    x
    (Original post by star_violet)
    x/[/url]
    (Original post by lazyswot)
    x)

(Original post by OnlyMe!)
    x.

ooh thanks for the recommendations all ... @lazyswot, defo let me know how you get on! have you got a similar skin type to mine? the price makes it so tempting!

@star_violet and onlyme... think i might check ebay for it, see if i can get a better deal! the mattifting thing would be great... at the mo i use powder and it just doesnt last and looks a bit too made up, if you know what i mean? just the price is so offputting, im such a cheapskate when it comes to makeup! but some things are worth paying extra for i guess.

ReputationRep:
    ooh thanks for the recommendations all ... @lazyswot, defo let me know how you get on! have you got a similar skin type to mine? the price makes it so tempting!

I've got pale, acne-prone skin with an oily t-zone (wow, that makes me sound so appealing! lol). With the recent sunny weather especially, I'll be hoping for it to keep my face matte-ish and stop my makeup from sliding off so soon. Although I'm expecting to need to use blotting sheets on my nose and chin at least once during the day, it would be nice if my spots stayed covered up until I got home. But I have 9-5 days in a chemistry lab, so it might be tough! We shall see.

ReputationRep:
    I've got pale, acne-prone skin with an oily t-zone (wow, that makes me sound so appealing! lol). With the recent sunny weather especially, I'll be hoping for it to keep my face matte-ish and stop my makeup from sliding off so soon. Although I'm expecting to need to use blotting sheets on my nose and chin at least once during the day, it would be nice if my spots stayed covered up until I got home. But I have 9-5 days in a chemistry lab, so it might be tough! We shall see.
    im just as fit, dont worry, oily and prone to breakouts! and pale too.. so will be good to know how you get on! especially after a 9-5 day of labbing :p:

ReputationRep:
    im just as fit, dont worry, oily and prone to breakouts! and pale too.. so will be good to know how you get on! especially after a 9-5 day of labbing :p:
    Just put it on, over just a touch of moisturiser (cos i heard moisturiser can make primer slide off? not sure), and then foundation and a pit of powder on top. It's lovely and mattifying even before my makeup's on, and my skin looks smoother. I'll edit this post at the end of the day to update

ReputationRep:
    i agree. clarins beauty flash balm is superb! superdrug's gosh one is good too.

ReputationRep:
    Just put it on, over just a touch of moisturiser (cos i heard moisturiser can make primer slide off? not sure), and then foundation and a pit of powder on top. It's lovely and mattifying even before my makeup's on, and my skin looks smoother. I'll edit this post at the end of the day to update
    howww did you get on?

i ended up buying it anyway.. was in town and having a bad skin day and decided to go for it! will try it tomorrow and see how i get on! its pretty tiny though, was expecting it to be a bit bigger.

ReputationRep:
    I like Mac's Prep + Prime.

ReputationRep:
    For drugstore prices, GOSH velvet touch primer is pretty good. I like the texture and can't say the more expensive primers I've used are significantly better.

And this is from someone who's a bit of a makeup snob

ReputationRep:
    i've tried boots number 7 primer and it was the worst thing i've ever bought. just made my foundation go all blotchy and not blend in well at all. i don't know if i was using it wrong but can't really see how i would be doing that

ReputationRep:
    howww did you get on?

i ended up buying it anyway.. was in town and having a bad skin day and decided to go for it! will try it tomorrow and see how i get on! its pretty tiny though, was expecting it to be a bit bigger.
    I still can't say for sure- I've got a lot of moisturisers and foundations to mix and match with, and I've been travelling and sleeping a lot over the past few days so it's hard to tell, cos my skin looks rubbish after both those things. The foundation did go on well though, and my makeup has stayed rather well, even though it's not been perfect and I did still get a shiny nose. A make up artist whose blog I follow said primers don't last if you wear moisturiser under them, as well, so I'm not sure how it would work best.

ReputationRep:
    Completely agree.
    I use BeneFit's PoreFessional on my nose, cheeks etc to fill in my pores because they're quite large. Then I apply Clarins' Instant Smooth (only because I don't want to waste PoreFessional on my chin, forehead etc. but you don't really need to purchase that. After those I apply Beauty Flash Balm, leave for about 30 seconds then apply my foundation and it 'sets' it and it doesn't budge all day! I obviously apply powder over the top and those products alone mean I have a matte/ dewy (depending on if I apply That Gal) face all day.
    Quote me for a more thorough review

ReputationRep:
    Just put it on, over just a touch of moisturiser (cos i heard moisturiser can make primer slide off? not sure)
    Yeah it does but it depends on the moisturiser - Simple's oil control moisturiser ie, a mattifying one doesn't slide off.

ReputationRep:
    These come recommended

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.