Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have been having trouble sleeping for a while now and it's really caught up with me. I feel drained and exhausted before the day has even started! I can't get to sleep at night because I have a sort of "butterfly" feeling in my stomach - as if I'm anxious (which stays with me throughout the day as well).

I know why it is. I've been going through a couple of personal issues and I've kept everything to myself. I'm just wondering if you think it would be beneficial for me to offload to someone I can trust. I don't know if I'm really ready to tell people what it is and I definitely don't want the entire world knowing because I myself haven't really fully accepted it yet. (Talking about being gay btw)... but I have a friend who has been saying some stuff to me and, maybe I'm looking into it too much, but it's as if he's trying to get me to come out to him (I know you can't really tell who is and who isn't but I'm almost sure he is gay too - however, I could be very wrong).

Should I tell him so I can get it off my chest and stop worrying? If I were to tell him, how the hell would I bring it up in conversation? How can I be sure he wouldn't react badly? What would I say?

I'm so confused right now!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joshuaC)
    I have been having trouble sleeping for a while now and it's really caught up with me. I feel drained and exhausted before the day has even started! I can't get to sleep at night because I have a sort of "butterfly" feeling in my stomach - as if I'm anxious (which stays with me throughout the day as well).

I know why it is. I've been going through a couple of personal issues and I've kept everything to myself. I'm just wondering if you think it would be beneficial for me to offload to someone I can trust. I don't know if I'm really ready to tell people what it is and I definitely don't want the entire world knowing because I myself haven't really fully accepted it yet. (Talking about being gay btw)... but I have a friend who has been saying some stuff to me and, maybe I'm looking into it too much, but it's as if he's trying to get me to come out to him (I know you can't really tell who is and who isn't but I'm almost sure he is gay too - however, I could be very wrong).

Should I tell him so I can get it off my chest and stop worrying? If I were to tell him, how the hell would I bring it up in conversation? How can I be sure he wouldn't react badly? What would I say?

I'm so confused right now!
    I think if you can imagine telling someone, and if you think that person is trustworthy, you should go for it. I know how burdening it can be if you constantly think about a thing but can't really talk to anyone because nobody knows about your problem.

On the other hand, it might be a better idea if you talked to someone else first. If you tell him that you are gay and think that he is as well, it might overcharge him because he feels caught or thinks you ask something from him that he cannot give you.

Maybe talking to someone who know both of you is an alternative, but only if you can be sure that that person doesn't tell the boy you mentioned, obviously.

You know, when I had a similar problem I didn't really know how to talk about (it was a different thing, admittedly, but it stressed me a lot, too), I wrote a letter (an email, actually) to a person I could trust because I didn't know how to bring the topic up either. It was definitely the right decision.

Best of luck to you!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 24, 2011
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.