Turn on thread page Beta

Cardiff or newcastle uni??? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So I'm trying to decide between the two and I really can't decide I like both courses so thats irrelevant I'm more interested to know what the people at each uni are like nightlife and unions etc...
    I'm slightly swaying towards Cardiff but I've heard Newcastle has got really good nightlife.
    I'm from London and I really love fashion music and gigs, and I love going out...and I'm not sure which uni would be better???
    So can anyone tell me about the uni's???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by violet1234)
    So I'm trying to decide between the two and I really can't decide I like both courses so thats irrelevant I'm more interested to know what the people at each uni are like nightlife and unions etc...
    I'm slightly swaying towards Cardiff but I've heard Newcastle has got really good nightlife.
    I'm from London and I really love fashion music and gigs, and I love going out...and I'm not sure which uni would be better???
    Newcastle is well known for its nightlife (party capital of the UK, one of the top five party cities in the world) in truth though any major city will cater most needs.

Newcastle has a fairly lively music scene, highest number of independent bands outside London apparently, and you're well catered for. It has a very reasonable number of pubs and clubs hosting bands. For more "alternative" (I hate using that word) places look at

The Cluny

Dog and Parrot

The Cumberland Arms is good for folk (at least it used to be) as well as

Other small(ish) venues like the Tyne Theatre . If you go to Newcastle I'm not sure how often you'll be go there, but it does have the occasional band or artist of interest, especially good for checking out acts before they get really big (Adele from a couple of years ago, for example) as well as touring and local theatre productions.

Then the usual mid to large venues

Sage Gateshead
    - hosts a number of pop and rock acts as well as traditional folk, jazz, opera, classical

http://www.newcastlecityhall.org/ hosts certain bands as well touring comedians. Mind, not much legroom in the stalls, but unless you're close to six foot like me this won't be a problem :p:

Obviously this is only a small selection. Check out the VisitNewcastleGateshead website for more.

As far as the "big" acts go, then Newcastle and Cardiff are probably equal with comparable venues (Newcastle has the Metro Radio Arena, Cardiff the CIA, City Halls...can't think of anything in Cardiff that will compare to the Sage unless there's something in the Cardiff Bay area I've forgotten, but Cardiff does have the Millennium stadium).

For shopping, Newcastle has the MetroCentre nearby, in Gateshead (about fifteen minutes on the bus. Lost its status as the largest shopping centre in Europe a while back, though I believe it still is the largest in the European Union (as the largest is in Turkey). It proudly boasts to be 'Britain's best shopping centre'. Whilst this is possible true, I've been to the other major out of town shopping centres in the country and never really found anything the size and variety of the MetroCentre, it doesn't offer many shops that you won't find elsewhere. Just that they're all in the same centre. As you can probably expect it does get busy at times. Very busy. Eurgh...

In Newcastle city centre itself there's Eldon Square - which is one of the largest city centre shopping centres in the country - perhaps even the largest. It is, in some respects, just like the MetroCentre (albeit much smaller and without a cinema, bowling alley and the like) though it does have a couple more coffee shops :p: As well as stores the MetroCentre doesn't have such as an Apple store (overpriced if you ask me). It has what is possible the country's largest Boots :p:

Jesmond, which is probably Newcastle's most affluent suburb (if we're not including Darras Hall) is, along with Heaton, one of the major student areas. It has some designer shops and boutiques. In Newcastle city centre itself, away from Eldon Square, there's good shopping round Hood Street (where Vivienne Westwood has a store), Northumberland Street and one or two others including some quite attractive indoor markets and boutiques.

Obviously neither Newcastle won't be able to match London, but it matches any other city in the country (along with Glasgow it's my personal favourite). One thing that's disappointing is the declining number of independent music shops (or it certainly was in decline a few years back, I believe one popular shop has now reopened so this has possibly changed). Either way, this is typical of most cities in the UK. Cardiff is said to have the oldest record store in the world (though when I went I didn't think it was up to much, not that I can comment on the service offered).

As for general points about the city, both Cardiff and Newcastle are very compact cities so easy to travel around by foot (though Cardiff is flatter). Newcastle is a beautiful city, with some of the most magnificent Neo-classical architecture in the country, although Cardiff is still relatively attractive. Although the architecture isn't all that it is still quite green, with Bute Park right in the centre, and Cardiff Bay is nice.

Both have castles too :p:

I'll try and post more about Cardiff later when I have time. Although I've visited a couple of times, so know it a bit, my experience of Cardiff is still more limited.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by violet1234)
    fashion music and gigs, and I love going out
    Heya - Cardiff has all those things! St David's centre is like Westfields, so the shopping here is amazing! Cardiff International Arena, always has famous people coming to it, my friends and I in a few weeks are going to watch Katy Perry and there are loads of clubs here! Cardiff has 3 uni's here, so its very student orientated! Each club has its main night, but are obviously open other nights as well. As for the union, I'm pretty sure I've heard its one of the best in the country, it is actually really good, especially a saturday night!

I actually love Cardiff, its pretty cheap too!

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.