Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)
    "you must save one of three strangers you see stuck on the sinking boat"

u save THE ONE who is stuck on the boat.
    clever!

ReputationRep:

u save THE ONE STRANGER who YOU SEE is stuck on the boat.

there, thats my crap answer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)

u save THE ONE who is stuck on the boat.
    BUT!

(Original post by Sire)
    They all drown if you do not save one. You must save one, and the other two drown. They are strangers to you, as you have never met either of the three men before, but you must save one. Which one, and why?
    so presumably they are all on the boat?

ReputationRep:
    Answers.

Part one... You are indeed one of the men. You save yourself with your God like powers. Congrats on reading the quesion properly and taking in all the information correctly too.

Part two... You may only save one, you do not know either of them, nor anything about them such as race, age, personality etc. Correct answers are along the lines of pointing blindly, eeny meeny miney mo, I spy with my little eye, pick a number. As it is best to save one, rather than none at all.

It really is remarkable that children have the innocence and goodwill to take in the facts as though it was a real life situation, and answer quickly and correctly. Just thought I would throw it in for you all. By the way, I was given 100% for this one, and have kindly lent it to Faculty of Economics, Business and Law at my university I hope you enjoyed.

ReputationRep:
    You can drown without being on a boat. In fact, unless you're on land, it's rather likely.

However the wording doesn't seem to imply to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dickie)
    BUT!

so presumably they are all on the boat?
    nope.

there are 3 strangers, and if they r on the boat, they sink.

but, they could drown anyway by being stuck in the middle of the ocean.

it says u see one of them on the boat, therefore save him.

dunno........lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    Part two... You may only save one, you do not know either of them, nor anything about them such as race, age, personality etc. Correct answers are along the lines of pointing blindly, eeny meeny miney mo, I spy with my little eye, pick a number. As it is best to save one, rather than none at all.
    someone said that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dickie)
    someone said that
    *nods* but not quite, the question needed a reason why also.

ReputationRep:
    The problem with the question is that after the first one, people tend to look at the wording very closely and try and play with it. The child sees the question for what it is on the surface and by seeing it in a straight line, follows the correct path to the answer.

ReputationRep:
    Boo! I expected something clever and logical! And why is it better to save one than none? For all you know the guy you save could be a mass murderer. Or Tony Blair.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZJuwelH)
    Boo! I expected something clever and logical! And why is it better to save one than none? For all you know the guy you save could be a mass murderer. Or Tony Blair.
    or a rep hogger. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BossLady)
    The problem with the question is that after the first one, people tend to look at the wording very closely and try and play with it. The child sees the question for what it is on the surface and by seeing it in a straight line, follows the correct path to the answer.
    Precisely. Got it in one. Well done. Part of the brilliance You damn near said what my uni professor told me word for word. The lesson being that the innocence of a childs view should never be overlooked. *shrugs* I just thought I'd throw it in and hope a few people enjoyed the challenge. Don't hate me for it.

ReputationRep:
    I loved it cheers.

ReputationRep:
    It was logical, but Bosslady pointed out the twist. After the first part, most people begin to take the question apart instead of taking it for what it is. Logically, you should take something for what it is and not look too deep. Not see the forest for the trees or however the expresion goes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    It was logical, but Bosslady pointed out the twist. After the first part, most people begin to take the question apart instead of taking it for what it is. Logically, you should take something for what it is and not look too deep. Not see the forest for the trees or however the expresion goes
    Tell that to the people that got killed by the guy you saved from the boat by doing "eenie meenie miney mo" :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Tell that to the people that got killed by the guy you saved from the boat by doing "eenie meenie miney mo" :rolleyes:
    I feel sorry for the other 2. They didn't get saved cos they were plain unlucky!

ReputationRep:
    LMAO. You've cracked me up. Lovely. Night you lot, I've got to go pay bills etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rednirt)
    geez how are we supposed to know? could be any of them! I'd do eeny-meeny-miny-mo personally
    look, I'm quoting my own quote (prob shouldn't be) but i got it right!!!! stuff you for wanting a silly reason (and i'm a girl, and you said girls get it right quicker. I feel all warm and fuzzy for getting it right )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rednirt)
    look, I'm quoting my own quote (prob shouldn't be) but i got it right!!!! stuff you for wanting a silly reason (and i'm a girl, and you said girls get it right quicker. I feel all warm and fuzzy for getting it right )
    I was thinking along those lines aswell, or doing rock paper scissors. But I figured it couldn't be right as Sire never acknowlaged your response. So I went the technical route, god like powers= knowledge of who the best person to save would be, and so on.
    Damn you Sire!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Infinity)
    I was thinking along those lines aswell, or doing rock paper scissors. But I figured it couldn't be right as Sire never acknowlaged your response. So I went the technical route, god like powers= knowledge of who the best person to save would be, and so on.
    Damn you Sire!
    I didn't acknowledge the response so as not to give it away entirely. The question specifically required an answer and a reason why that answer was chosen. As shown by the explanation that children pick up on it far quicker generally. kudos to Rednirt though, I was impressed.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.