Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I have no sympathy for people with eating disorders watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    I'm being honest with you, my life would be far easier if I were genuinely pretty.
    Why?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brutal Honesty)
    I was reading this thread and surprise surprise there were plenty of apparently slim girls whining about how fat they are and taking the contradictory stance of knowing they shouldn't be worried about their weight but they still are. Defies all logic. Then they tell other girls they "look fantastic and have an amazing body and any guy would die to go out with you" whilst drowning in self pity about their own body. The UK is incredibly hypocritical in this regard, the same women who are constantly fussing over their weight, diet and body are the same women who tell others "beauty is in the inside". Eating disorders are the product of a superficial, vain lifestyle which is why middle class girls are the ones starving themselves so they can look like their heroes whereas in China and Japan the women are concentrating on important stuff like making the world a more prosperous, scientifically advanced place rather than spending hours flicking through glossy magazines.

I'd like to take this opportunity to give a :yy: to girls who don't make a big fuss about their appearance and constantly attention seek unlike the eating disorder society who seem to be full of narcissistic self indulgent queens who are willing to endanger their health to look sexually attractive.
    I get what you think is going on - but you're wrong.
    Girls being beauty obsessed and reading glossy magazines may annoy some and has become a part of the 21st century. However, it's nothing to do with a mental disorder that manifests itself as anorexia - it's just like anxiety, schzophrenia, etc. No-one looks at a magazine, thinks "man I'm fat compared to Cheryl Cole" and becomes bulimic. It just doesn't happen even though papers say it does..and if it does, the papers are only an aggravator rather than the sole cause.
    Anorexia usually starts from other problems, for example overbearing families or other issues. Only after that do they start reading the magazines because they think there's something wrong with their body.

ReputationRep:
    Oh really?

It seems better for a girl to be pretty than to have common sense to receive any sort of respect from men.

And to other posters, yes, I would give up a place at Cambridge :rolleyes: to be beautiful.

Let's be honest, it seems that no matter how good you are personality-wise, whatever your ambitions/interests, no matter how intelligent you are, or how nice a person you are - if you don't look pretty, what's the point?

(I have had this told to me directly. No point being a woman if you're not pretty.)
    But surely Brains> Beauty. You dont see glamour models curing cancer and the like do you?

ReputationRep:
    You would have a lot more sympathy if you actually knew anything about eating disorders. Stop being an insensitive prick and do some research.

(Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    Why?
    People "respect" prettier people more, they treat them better etc etc.

ReputationRep:
    To thread viewers, my opening post:

I was reading this thread and surprise surprise there were plenty of apparently slim girls whining about how fat they are and taking the contradictory stance of knowing they shouldn't be worried about their weight but they still are. Defies all logic. Then they tell other girls they "look fantastic and have an amazing body and any guy would die to go out with you" whilst drowning in self pity about their own body. The UK is incredibly hypocritical in this regard, the same women who are constantly fussing over their weight, diet and body are the same women who tell others "beauty is in the inside". Eating disorders are the product of a superficial, vain lifestyle which is why middle class girls are the ones starving themselves so they can look like their heroes whereas in China and Japan the women are concentrating on important stuff like making the world a more prosperous, scientifically advanced place rather than spending hours flicking through glossy magazines.

I'd like to take this opportunity to give a :yy: to girls who don't make a big fuss about their appearance and constantly attention seek unlike the eating disorder society who seem to be full of narcissistic self indulgent queens who are willing to endanger their health to look sexually attractive.
    Post soon after:

It's not as easy as you make it out to be.

I'd give up anything to be beautiful.
    This gets two replies:

(Original post by chinaberry)
    What!

Don't say that! You're great without having to be pretty I wouldn't have thought you'd have said this.
    Once you get past the awkward teenager stage. You've got personality, ambition, interests...
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    Why? Being pretty isn't a passport to happiness.
    I bet a million pounds these girls have some sort of body image issue which I've listed in the OP. Anyone want next weeks lottery numbers?

(Original post by .snowflake.)
    But surely Brains> Beauty. You dont see glamour models curing cancer and the like do you?
    No, but it seems men prefer to date a glamour model than a carcinogenic biologist.

ReputationRep:

As no doubt many people have already pointed out: Being vain =/= eating disorder.

Why don't women in third world countries have this "mental illness"? Why don't working class girls have it as much as middle class girls? Why is it less prevalent in the Asian community (in the UK and US)? The reason is simple, they place less value on hedonism, vanity and self-indulgence whereas white middle class girls are rolling in it. I don't like how everyone panders to them either, show them no attention and they'll soon get their act together. The more you show them you "care" the more it encourages them.
    The social triggers for eating disorders is essentially irrelivant in the context as it changes nothing. It's still a mental illness characteristed by seriously distorted cognitions and warped self-perceptions beyond that of simply being vain. Those abnormalites subsequently cause a lot of distress and anguish in those individuals and contribute to the disproportionately high mortality rate associated with being a sufferer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_t)
    Honestly that's quite brutal
    What you did there... I see it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kiss_me_now9)
    But that doesn't make it any less of an illness, does it?

You need to go and do more research, and find sources that aren't media hyped.
    Yeah I should do more research. I probably know this subject better than you hence why I made a thread about it and linked to a study on request. However that doesn't fit in with your "they're all victims!!!11" mentality so the studies must be wrong and only those that agree with you are right. The BBC is not "media hype" and it was just reporting on a very famous study in the subject. Which you wouldn't know about obviously.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_t)
    Honestly that's quite brutal

Looking attractive is nothing when it comes to an ED, your skin is so bad, your hair is brittle and if you're bulimic you have bloodshot eyes and puffy cheeks. So attractive.... :rolleyes:

It's people like you why I never went into proper recovery or spoke to anyone about it and why I still relapse every couple of months because I'm too ****ing paranoid to say anything incase they have the same reaction.
    People really need to get ****ing educated about what an eating disorder is because it's not vainity in the slightest, if anything its just like depression but trying to destroy yourself through something that keeps you alive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    As no doubt many people have already pointed out: Being vain =/= eating disorder.
    Yes but the fact more superficial societies tend to have significantly higher rates of eating disorders (and among certain subgroups) indicates that societal pressures do have a significant effect on this. It's no coincidence it's far more prevalent among those who are most hedonistic and self-indulgent in our society (teenagers, middle class girls in particular).

ReputationRep:
    Oh really?

It seems better for a girl to be pretty than to have common sense to receive any sort of respect from men.

And to other posters, yes, I would give up a place at Cambridge :rolleyes: to be beautiful.

Let's be honest, it seems that no matter how good you are personality-wise, whatever your ambitions/interests, no matter how intelligent you are, or how nice a person you are - if you don't look pretty, what's the point?

(I have had this told to me directly. No point being a woman if you're not pretty.)
    I agree... not in that attractiveness is the be all and end all of life but it definitely improves people's responses and treatment of you and probably increases "happiness". TSR is notoriously embarrassing in that it seems commonplace to avoid or dispute blatantly obvious facts just so people aren't offended; so I wouldn't count on people agreeing with you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bella Occhi)
    There's a difference between stupid girls saying "oh im so fat i wanna be anorexic lolz" and girls - or even boys - with a debilitating mental disorder. Get your facts straight.
    This.

I hear things like this A LOT, be it on the internet or in college/work etc. I don't care whether they are saying it for attention, or they're actually really body dysmorphic - an eating disorder is an extremely destructive and depressing illness.

In fact, people saying things like that make eating disorders seem less of an illness and more of a choice based completely on vanity. The reality is that many of sufferers are unwell because of experiences in their lives completely out of their control.

I suffer with Anorexia, partly brought on by some really nasty people who were in my life. I would never consider myself narcissistic - I'm currently waiting to start training as a Mental Health Nurse so I can help those who suffer with mental illnesses too. It's a shame that there is such a stereotype placed on eating disorders. :/

ReputationRep:
    TBH I see a load more girls in the UK who are unhealthily fat than unhealthily skinny.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aeterno)
    You would have a lot more sympathy if you actually knew anything about eating disorders. Stop being an insensitive prick and do some research.
    I have done. In fact I seem to be the only one who has provided research material on this thread. The majority of responses have come from girls basically saying "stop being so mean to them!" and white knights telling me I'm bad for picking on their potential mating partners.

ReputationRep:
    Yes but the fact more superficial societies tend to have significantly higher rates of eating disorders (and among certain subgroups) indicates that societal pressures do have a significant effect on this. It's no coincidence it's far more prevalent among those who are most hedonistic and self-indulgent in our society (teenagers, middle class girls in particular).
    So what?

See:

(Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    The social triggers for eating disorders is essentially irrelivant in the context as it changes nothing. It's still a mental illness characteristed by seriously distorted cognitions and warped self-perceptions beyond that of simply being vain. Those abnormalites subsequently cause a lot of distress and anguish in those individuals and contribute to the disproportionately high mortality rate associated with being a sufferer.

ReputationRep:
    The views here are pretty brutal, but nothing irks me more than girls claiming to have an eating disorder for attention, or simply because they're on the latest diet. Eating disorders are almost a form of obsessive compulsive disorder, soemthing which takes over your life even in the years after having had it. It is absolutley not a comment to be made lightly.

For years I've had very low self-esteem over the way I look, to the point where I've even felt suicidal. I don't choose to feel this way. I'm surrounded by thin, effortlessly pretty girls and I just feel disgusting next to them. Until just under a year ago I was suffering from bulemia and it was one of the most horrible periods of my life, the disorder basically consumed me. I managed to recover by myself, but it took so much effort because my body was in the routine of purging every time I ate. Whatever you may think, I'm not attention-seeking or stupid. In fact, the only person who knew about my disorder was my best friend, who feels similar to me. The thing is, she's the prettiest girl I know, but she's so insecure about herself that she barely eats and covers herself in make-up just to be able to go outside, and even then she gets depressed about the way she looks. I don't understand how anyone can say they have no sympathy for someone like that. I don't think you can blame someone for having an eating disorder - it's the society that we live in where beauty equals success and popularity, thus placing pressure on young girls like us to fit in with the accepted image of beautiful.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 24, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.