Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I have no sympathy for people with eating disorders watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChemFreak)
    OP suffers from ignorance ...

Although i do agree that some cases of eating disorders can stem from society and that the emphasis on appearance can put a lot of pressure on people to aspire to be thinner or more attractive, it is usually a combination of factors that cause the onset of eating disorders. Many people use the management of food as a way of controlling an aspect of their own lives during a stressful period, however this control can quickly spiral out of control.

From personal experience i originally began alternating between calorie counting and vomiting if i exceeded my "allowance" of food for the day, however this quickly developed into bulimia which was my way of controlling something and helped me cope with stress.

I personally wouldn't want your sympathy, as that was a big thing for me when it came to recovery as it fed my feelings of guilt, only hope that you can understand that it is a mental health problem and that this thread hasn't put anyone off seeking help for their own eating problems.
    Why is it predominantly white middle class women in Western countries who do this calorie counting/vomit inducing form of control? How come the vast majority of men never have this problem and in some parts of the world this sort of behaviour is unheard of?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rwalker8)
    Jesus Christ. I came on here to ask a relatively simple question about whether or not to bring a frying pan to uni, or would everyone else in my flat have already brought one?
    But I digress
    I think you should buy one, your flatmates might all be weirdos who hate people using their stuff.

Also, OP, wtf. Srsly wtf. Eating disorders = mental disorders not simply oh I think it'd be nice to be really really thin/I want attention.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brutal Honesty)
    I was reading this thread and surprise surprise there were plenty of apparently slim girls whining about how fat they are and taking the contradictory stance of knowing they shouldn't be worried about their weight but they still are. Defies all logic. Then they tell other girls they "look fantastic and have an amazing body and any guy would die to go out with you" whilst drowning in self pity about their own body. The UK is incredibly hypocritical in this regard, the same women who are constantly fussing over their weight, diet and body are the same women who tell others "beauty is in the inside". Eating disorders are the product of a superficial, vain lifestyle which is why middle class girls are the ones starving themselves so they can look like their heroes whereas in China and Japan the women are concentrating on important stuff like making the world a more prosperous, scientifically advanced place rather than spending hours flicking through glossy magazines.

I'd like to take this opportunity to give a :yy: to girls who don't make a big fuss about their appearance and constantly attention seek unlike the eating disorder society who seem to be full of narcissistic self indulgent queens who are willing to endanger their health to look sexually attractive.
    Totally agree, unless they actually are overweight.

There's this girl I know, really quite thin, I mean, I'd probably end up damaging her if I shagged her, she never shuts up about how she has to "watch her weight", makes me angry, if she ate some more she might actually be attractive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChemFreak)
    OP suffers from ignorance ...

Although i do agree that some cases of eating disorders can stem from society and that the emphasis on appearance can put a lot of pressure on people to aspire to be thinner or more attractive, it is usually a combination of factors that cause the onset of eating disorders. Many people use the management of food as a way of controlling an aspect of their own lives during a stressful period, however this control can quickly spiral out of control.

From personal experience i originally began alternating between calorie counting and vomiting if i exceeded my "allowance" of food for the day, however this quickly developed into bulimia which was my way of controlling something and helped me cope with stress.

I personally wouldn't want your sympathy, as that was a big thing for me when it came to recovery as it fed my feelings of guilt, only hope that you can understand that it is a mental health problem and that this thread hasn't put anyone off seeking help for their own eating problems.
    This.

It's different for different people. I had problems with eating and my weight in the past. I fluctuated between being overweight during my parents' divorce and underweight during highschool. It wasn't mental illness or a sense of vanity, in my case. Part of it was simply poor upbringing and a negative self image. A little bit of time and self awareness turned that around and I eventually learned how to take care of myself. But like I said, it's different for everyone.

ReputationRep:
    Anorexia nervous & bulimia are both mental disorders. Not just "I'm fat i'll stop eating/shove my fingers down my throat". Lets get it right here, folks.

ReputationRep:
    There's no sufficient evidence to suggest eating disorders are genetic or inherited, you're clutching at straws here. The only reason it might be common in a family is if the child copies the mother or the environment is very similar, i.e. the mother might be a celebrity and the daughter may also be famous as a result.

Girls in China aren't wasting their time leafing through glossy mags trying to emulate skinny models which is why they're overtaking girls in the UK at an astonishing rate.

Male anorexia or 'manorexia' is a minor issue compared to female anorexia, it's like saying "men can get breast cancer too".
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/lif...cle3111468.ece

If you can't be bothered to read it then, yes, the research reported does not necessarily disprove that girls may be influenced by models however I draw your attention to this quote: “The one thing we are certain of is that there is a genetic disposition to anorexia".

That you should say 'there's no sufficient evidence to suggest eating disorders are genetic or inherited'...well, it sounds like you are clutching at straws. One simple search on google and there are tonnes of articles on this debate which shows that there plenty of doctors who believe that eating disorders may be genetic.

ReputationRep:
    OP and People who agree should try imagining how much will power you would need to not eat for an entire day or maintain such a low calorie intake and stick out the hunger for a week, or how much determination is needed to induce vomiting repeatedly. It's the drive / urge behind it thats a big problem as it goes against your bodies needs and an uncomfortable if not painful experience.

I look at it as a very bad habit which is very difficult to break.

ReputationRep:
    Why is it predominantly white middle class women in Western countries who do this calorie counting/vomit inducing form of control? How come the vast majority of men never have this problem and in some parts of the world this sort of behaviour is unheard of?
    Feel free to continue to ignore my post for the sake of your 'they're vain therefore they deserve it' argument.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 24, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.