Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Any tips on how to do this? Im doing AQA so it has a 500 word limit. I have my style model and essay to hand, but have no clue how to go about doing this and its in for tomorrow
    Advice appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    My friends do language (i do literature) but i assume you need to give an analysis of the structure and close textual analysis too

E.g. if the structure is cyclical, what effect does it have?
    Sorry but i can't really help much!

ReputationRep:
    Analyse you're piece as you would if it was an exam text... so talk about lexis/grammar/discourse etc... and have a separate paragraph for each.

With every point you make, give an example from your piece and evaluate it. E.g."I used modal verbs such as "can" to express a degree of certainty within my piece, which is relevant because..." to gain marks from A01, A02 and A03.

And link your points to your style model e.g. "I chose to write in the 1st person pronoun like my style model.. to ....."

And in the concluding paragraph talk about how the drafting process helped you in creating you're final piece etc...

I don't know if this is the same as what we had to do.. but I hope it helps!!!! I was having this same trouble and I couldn't find anything on the internet to help!!!
    Good luck, I have mine on my computer so if you need any more help just ask!!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys
    Thats a massive help laujan! thankyou!
    How many features did you pick to stick within the 500 word limit? Im thinking 500 words is about a page long so thats not too bad.
    Last thing, how did you start it? Or did you jump right into the analysis
    Cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sockhead)
    Thanks guys
    Thats a massive help laujan! thankyou!
    How many features did you pick to stick within the 500 word limit? Im thinking 500 words is about a page long so thats not too bad.
    Last thing, how did you start it? Or did you jump right into the analysis
    Cheers
    You don't need to pick out as many as you think, once you've evaluated each point the word count seems to just increase nicely !
    To start with mine was really long because I'd picked out everything . Just stick with the terminology.. so things such as exophoric references and whether the lexis was exclusive/non-exclusive for lexis, sentence types (interrogatives, declaratives and the effect they had on the text) and sentence structures (simple, compound etc..) for grammar, topic shifts/markers and the format of your text for discourse.

I started mine with...
    I wrote my piece for an intended target audience of parents, although it could be read by anyone wishing to read it. Although it was available to either male or female, it was slightly biased towards a female audience. I wrote from the point of view of a mother with two teenage children which created a sense of authority, expertise and trust, thus reassuring the reader. My piece was in the format of an article, likely to appear in a magazine aimed at female adults, again making a gender bias towards females.

Basically just talking about the genre, format, audience!
    Just talk a lot about context, AQA really seems to love that

It's no worries, I'm happy to help!!!!! Please ask if you need any more help!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 24, 2011

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.