Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So, I'm teaching myself via the internet and a virtual piano to play for the first time. It's actually quite good fun and within two days I've actually gotten somewhere. I guess it isn't as difficult as I thought it would be. Has anyone else ever tried this?

ReputationRep:
    After around 4 months of basic grade 2 piano lessons, I continued studying piano via the internet. It can be done, I've been told by musical people at college that I play at grade 5 standard now Keep practicing

ReputationRep:
    I might try this. I used to play the piano when I was younger, but gave up. I've started again when I got given an electric piano for my 21st. I taught myself a few pieces, but it's a bit of struggle to sit down and do it sometimes!

I'd really like lessons, but there's no way I could afford them. What sites did you use?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Em See)
    I might try this. I used to play the piano when I was younger, but gave up. I've started again when I got given an electric piano for my 21st. I taught myself a few pieces, but it's a bit of struggle to sit down and do it sometimes!

I'd really like lessons, but there's no way I could afford them. What sites did you use?
    I came across this guy today:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5af1...x=2&playnext=1

I actually learnt a hell of a lot after just two lessons-he's pretty good. And I've never actually played a proper piano but I just downloaded several virtual ones. So far I like using ButtonBeats the best.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Austentatious)
    I came across this guy today:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5af1...x=2&playnext=1

I actually learnt a hell of a lot after just two lessons-he's pretty good. And I've never actually played a proper piano but I just downloaded several virtual ones. So far I like using ButtonBeats the best.
    He's good, I used his 'Teach youself Fur Elise' a while ago and it made it much easier. I might give his lessons a go.

One thing about virtual painos. I never used one, but I would be wary about learning on one. A real piano, and even an electric one, has a distinct weight and feel to the keys. Hitting keys softer and harder produces different volumes and sounds. For all I know virtual pianos might be really good, but maybe try a save up for a cheap electric (make sure it's a piano and not a keyboard, they are different); you can get something decent for about £300.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.