Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys. Ok so i've rejected the typical lads holiday to go to New York for 10 days (20-30th June).

There's me and 2 other lads going.

We've pre-booked our flights but are looking for a decent place to stay. Hopefully in Manhattan. Anyone got any tips?

ReputationRep:
    The lifts in Hilton hotels are more often than not broken.

ReputationRep:
    Try this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SayonaraSamm)
    Try this?
    :eek: £215 a night...

ReputationRep:
    hostels are a cheap and conveniant way to go, because lets be honest ur not gonna be spending much time in the place your staying - if you are then you're crazy . anyways last summer i stayed in chocolat hostel, on the upper west side of manhatten. its fine and reasonably priced. check it out at hostelworld.com

ReputationRep:
    the pod hotel nyc

ReputationRep:
    Mm I would suggest hi-hostels or just hostels in general would be better perhaps because you meet loads of new people and there are usually arranged trips like clubbing etc. :-) the money saved will come in useful because in lots of hotels you might just get 2 double beds which would be pretty awkward for 3 lads. Are you travelling outside NYC because 10 days is a long time !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tradingmyheartforyours)
    Mm I would suggest hi-hostels or just hostels in general would be better perhaps because you meet loads of new people and there are usually arranged trips like clubbing etc. :-) the money saved will come in useful because in lots of hotels you might just get 2 double beds which would be pretty awkward for 3 lads. Are you travelling outside NYC because 10 days is a long time !
    Thanks for your help. One of my mates isn't to keen on hostels. He's a worrier I would be up for hostels as i want to meet people like you suggest.

Nah we are just staying around New York. There's too much to do in 10 days i reckon. I've got a massive list of things. Just hope i can squeeze most of them in!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Vintage)
    :eek: £215 a night...
    If you want to stay in manhattan, it is not going to be massively expensive for even a simple place.

I was there for 6 days recently and stayed in this place - was cramped but by far the cheapest we could find, maybe 45mins to manhattan by subway.

That cost us $200 for 2 people for 5 nights. The second cheapest we could find was over $350 (and we didn't exactly have any standards...)

Thanks for your help. One of my mates isn't to keen on hostels. He's a worrier I would be up for hostels as i want to meet people like you suggest.

Nah we are just staying around New York. There's too much to do in 10 days i reckon. I've got a massive list of things. Just hope i can squeeze most of them in!
    If you're avoiding all hostels all together (not even a group room) then you should expect to pay A LOT. Probably upwards of $70 per night per person absolute cheapest. Just do some googling and you'll see what i mean.

ReputationRep:
    The Pod hotel is great and a room between the 3 of you probably not much more than hostel beds would be (but MUCH more comfortable/ cleaner).

Lots of young/ solo travelers stay there, so probably could meet a lot of people if you wanted to.

ReputationRep:
    I stayed at The Belvedere Hotel with my friend, don't remember it being extremely expensive.

Hey guys. Ok so i've rejected the typical lads holiday to go to New York for 10 days (20-30th June).

We've pre-booked our flights but are looking for a decent place to stay. Hopefully in Manhattan. Anyone got any tips?
    The Marriott Marquis is a nice hotel, stayed a few times there

ReputationRep:

The Days Inn on the Upper West Side wasn't overly expensive I don't think (we went on a school trip) and it was practically opposite a subway station

ReputationRep:
    Not sure if this is too late but I'm going to new york on sunday for a week and we booked to stay at ' The hotel @ times square', it's really nice and quite cheap in comparison to others, it even includes breakfast so you can be saving money there. We reserved late so paid £1006 for 7 nights with 2 double beds but that is really cheap, but there was one called 'Hotel Pennsylvania' that kept coming up in searches that was a hotel (not hostel) as was much cheaper, but it did have some pretty dodgy reviews haha, good luck searching

ReputationRep:
    If you're going for 10 days don't worry at all about getting everything you want to do done. Will be easy . I was done in 4 days lol.

ReputationRep:
    YMCA Vanderbilt.

I'm kidding. Seriously, please please please don't. Ew.

ReputationRep:
    Some of the suggestions here seem to be upwards of $500 a night :gah:

Any hostel recommendations? :holmes:

(Original post by madders94)
    YMCA Vanderbilt.

I'm kidding. Seriously, please please please don't. Ew.
    OMFG My brother and I were stuck one night for accommodation, I asked the police officer ''Where is the cheapest hostel?'', he told me ''YMCA, that way''. We started trekking upstate towards it, until we got a phone call from England, to say we were booked back into a hotel we stayed @ 2 nights previously. When I mentioned it to my mum, she said ''OMFG, do you know how much of a dive that place is?'' . .LoL I had no idea, I just wanted to get showered and changed into fresh clothes, after spending 12hours on a coach travelling from Niagara falls back to NYC! So so glad I did not go there, because like my mum said and from your comment here, it sounds awful!!

-------------

OP, my brother and I stayed @ The Hampton Inn Madison Sq garden - that hotel was nice, and I managed to get the room for £100 for the night (2 double beds in the room), in the peak season (although it was coming to the end of the summer/tourist season ish). I found it on a website (can't remember what it's called @ the mo), and the hotels were pretty reasonable, however that was last year. But it's a nice hotel, and within easy walking distance from many attractions.

(Original post by RFextra)
    If you're going for 10 days don't worry at all about getting everything you want to do done. Will be easy . I was done in 4 days lol.
    Haha I agree; I was done in 4days as well, visited some places twice! :tongue:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Colbert)
    S

Any hostel recommendations? :holmes:
    COLBERT!!

I got booked up at the Broadway Hotel/Hostel. Came to about £450 each for 10 nights.

Look it up. It's fully booked up though. We hit on 2 people cancelled

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 12, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.