The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by IWMTom
On the contrary, the DSA won't allow a car like that to be used on a test. A learner must demonstrate the skill to drive adequately on any car, not just one with extra electronics.

You're probably right on the Tesla one unless it was disabled but I know you can use park assist as it was enabled on my test and I passed
Reply 41
Original post by MeYou2Night
You're probably right on the Tesla one unless it was disabled but I know you can use park assist as it was enabled on my test and I passed

When you say park assist, do you just mean parking sensors? Perhaps you just had a complacent examiner who couldn't really give a toss, but providing you executed the parking by the book there'd be no issue; good observations and all that.
Did you need an instructor to accompany you to the test centre? Im thinking of doing my test in own car and was wondering if my partner could accompany me there?
Reply 43
Original post by Laura1211s
Did you need an instructor to accompany you to the test centre? Im thinking of doing my test in own car and was wondering if my partner could accompany me there?

This thread is 5 years old...

As long as they are over 21 and have had a full license for 3 years, they can accompany you. You must also be fully insured for the car you are driving.
Original post by Laura1211s

Also, definitely worth remembering that once you've passed, you're no longer insured with your learner insurance, and so will need to get your policy updated before you drive again...
Reply 45
Original post by mobbsy91
Also, definitely worth remembering that once you've passed, you're no longer insured with your learner insurance, and so will need to get your policy updated before you drive again...

i'd also argue it's sensible to put a parent on there as a main driver if they aren't already so that they drive you home after the test - you could have heightened emotions either way and getting a lift home while instagraming your shiny pass cert is pretty satisfying
Original post by OliCad
Hey folks, I've just found this thread as I'm having trouble trying to find an answer to my problem.

DVSA says I need to have adequate insurance for taking my test in my own car but I can't find an insurer that will do this as there are soooo many companies.

Who did you guys use to cover your test?

You need to be the policy holder or a named driver as a learner ...

you will need a supervising driver before the test ( and after if you fail ) and you need either another insured driver or be sure you have everything in place to change your cover if you pass as insurance for you to drive as a learner is not insurance for you to drive as a newly qualified full icence holder .

the DVSA makes this statement to prevent it from beign implicated in causing or permitting uninsured driving and also to protect themselves corporately and examiners individually ...
Reply 47
Please , i am looking forward to using my own car as well for the test, because my instructor is already behaving funny. I am very used to my car more than the instructors car. My car is good and running. Please what other requirements do i need to have in my car to take the test in mine .
Cheers
Original post by Oziofu
Please , i am looking forward to using my own car as well for the test, because my instructor is already behaving funny. I am very used to my car more than the instructors car. My car is good and running. Please what other requirements do i need to have in my car to take the test in mine .
Cheers

Someone over 21 with 3 years driving experience who is fully insured on your car. You won't be able to drive home after your test as you won't be insured if you pass.

I think you also need an interior mirror for the examiner
Reply 49
Original post by Jackieox
Someone over 21 with 3 years driving experience who is fully insured on your car. You won't be able to drive home after your test as you won't be insured if you pass.

Absolutely nothing stopping you taking out an insurance policy in the car park.
Reply 50
Original post by Jackieox

Actually, you don't need someone over 21 with more than 3 years driving experience - if someone is insured on the car, anyone could take you to the test centre as long as they drive.
Reply 51
Hi guys I drive my own car and won't to take test in my own car but don't have anyone to come with me that day do I need someone accompaning me
Reply 52
Original post by Lukeay
Hi guys I drive my own car and won't to take test in my own car but don't have anyone to come with me that day do I need someone accompaning me

You need someone to take the car to the test centre.
Original post by Lukeay

Erm, I dunno how to help you with that... I'd say try ask people which are over 21 and have had their licence for 3 years to accompany you to the test centre, but if that's ruled out then I really don't know how to help you sorry...

P.s. This thread is over 6 years old...
Hi can i used my own car getz 2004 for test please help me
Hello Do you know somebody to help me to practice driving I live in Sunderland.
You will pass your test, my test was on 15 march on my own car, no minor mistake one one serious mistake I cross give way lines junction was clear but he said you did not stop so x you will pass just drive carefully it is not matter that you are with instructer or some one else
Hello I am looking somebody to company practice driving I have satnav and I have drove for a long time .
Original post by delvise
Sorry to jump on post but I see alot of posts about people using there own car? I thought you had too have someone sat with you at all times too drive your own car ???
I guess it would be better to rent out a dual control car rather take your own car just in case. I heard of someone who took their car to the test and because of a faulty tyre pressure sensor, they were not allowed to do the test. Also, you would need a rear view mirror in your car for the examiner, aswell as L plated obviously.

If you can, rent a car for your test from Arnold Clark or something. They charge £11 an hour for a Vauxhall Corsa which isn't too bad compared to paying an instructor.
Original post by 17004586
Hello Do you know somebody to help me to practice driving I live in Sunderland.

I live in that area, I can pm you an instructor and their number if you like? (I passed first time).

Latest