Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Hardest ACADEMIC A Level... watch

• View Poll Results: What do you think is the hardest ACADEMIC A Level?
    Biology
    7.30%
    Business Studies
    1.35%
    Chemistry
    30.54%
    Classical Civilisation
    0%
    Economics
    3.51%
    English Lit
    4.32%
    French
    2.16%
    Geography
    0.81%
    German
    1.62%
    History
    7.57%
    Latin
    3.51%
    Mathematics (with and/or without Further Maths)
    17.03%
    Physics
    18.38%
    Politics
    0.27%
    Religious Studies
    0.81%
    Spanish
    0.81%

ReputationRep:
    Physics/Chem

ReputationRep:
    Wait, Business Studies is academic?

You needed 56% for an A in BUSS3, man.

I'm doing two social sciences and an arts, but by Christ, even I know business studies is NOT that academic.

ReputationRep:
    Where's the option for 'it's entirely subjective and depends on the person'????

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bognor-regis)
    Re your poll, How exactly can you take Mathematics with AND without Further Maths???lol
    Oh LOL.

ReputationRep:
    History.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Melanie-v)
    Of the one's I'm doing, Chemistry. It was easy at AS, then BAM, A2 hit me.
    same!!

ReputationRep:
    im good at maths
    but i find economics very hard

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry/Maths/Physics - I would vote all 3

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to disappoint but Biology is not simply recall yes the concepts are straight forward but the exam can often be a killer especially if your on AQA.

Concept wise i think maybe chemistry is the hardest because it combines both revision and understanding were as maths can be talent, being good at maths can get you a good grade same with physics and if your good at remembering stuff Biology can be your advantage. But some people are lazy and can't revise but are generally good at maths so they breeze through it.

Therefore in my opinion Chemistry is the hardest.

ReputationRep:
    I chose Chemistry - Chemistry far less difficult as a subject than Physics IMHO, but Chemistry at A level is without a doubt the hardest exam.

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry! The exams are ridiculous especially if you're doing OCR Salters. A2 Chemistry includes everything at AS (concepts are reintroduced) so you're basically learning AS all over again on top of A2. Also, you carry out a 3/4 week investigation and write up 40 pages and if your investigation results are wrong, you're pretty much screwed. It has literally been one of the most stressful things ever. Chemistry is both difficult and demanding at A-level, whereas some subjects are just demanding, or just difficult. Hope that makes sense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles2010)
    same!!
    Better hope there's not to much Chemistry in your med course then. I just saw you're firming Cambridge - what college?

ReputationRep:
    Also picking Chemistry. It's the massive jump up from AS to A2 and the son-of-a-***** organics. And pH calculations *shudder* And period 3 metals. But mainly organics. Bah, just all of it. Horrible stuff. I hate carbon molecules. Stupid 12 MR little gits. :mad:

ReputationRep:
    Classical Greek :cry2: Conceptually harder than Physics and Maths, with a workload bigger than history. :cry: fml

ReputationRep:
    History at the best of times makes the brain hurt
    **** you synoptic learning.

ReputationRep:
    I am really surprised to see so many people voting Chemistry- for me it is the easiest science subject to revise for as you can preempt lots of the questions. Chemistry is more of a case of consolidating principles whilst Biology A level exams can be much more synoptic, requiring greater application. This is all OCR though so with other exam boards it may be completely different....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Melanie-v)
    Better hope there's not to much Chemistry in your med course then. I just saw you're firming Cambridge - what college?
    haha, i love chemistry, it's just unit 5 doing my head in! (too much colours of complexes to learn!)
    yeahh, college is murray edwards

ReputationRep:
    I hear Chemistry is pretty brutal but I've never done it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mooniibuggy)
    Chemistry! The exams are ridiculous especially if you're doing OCR Salters. A2 Chemistry includes everything at AS (concepts are reintroduced) so you're basically learning AS all over again on top of A2. Also, you carry out a 3/4 week investigation and write up 40 pages and if your investigation results are wrong, you're pretty much screwed. It has literally been one of the most stressful things ever. Chemistry is both difficult and demanding at A-level, whereas some subjects are just demanding, or just difficult. Hope that makes sense.
    40 Pages?!?

You've got it easy, i'm on 40 pages at the moment and still on the analysis!

Some fella did 120 pages last year, though 40 were graphs :teeth:

ReputationRep:
    Languages would be the toughest for me, but the consensus in my school (based on what I've heard others say) is that physics is the worst.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.