Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Hardest ACADEMIC A Level... watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: What do you think is the hardest ACADEMIC A Level?
    Biology
    7.30%
    Business Studies
    1.35%
    Chemistry
    30.54%
    Classical Civilisation
    0%
    Economics
    3.51%
    English Lit
    4.32%
    French
    2.16%
    Geography
    0.81%
    German
    1.62%
    History
    7.57%
    Latin
    3.51%
    Mathematics (with and/or without Further Maths)
    17.03%
    Physics
    18.38%
    Politics
    0.27%
    Religious Studies
    0.81%
    Spanish
    0.81%

ReputationRep:
    Further Maths Module Futher pure 4 = death

ReputationRep:
    I hate FP4!

ReputationRep:
    Art is the hardest subject. End of. There is not one person I know who does the combination Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths (typically hard subjects) who has stayed behind till 17:30-18:00 even ONCE just to get their work done. For art this may have to be done every day for a week, on several occasions. This is irrespective of how hard you work or conscientious you are. If you want to get at least an A in the subject this has to be done. I've had to do this a couple of times, as well as other people in my class. However, I wholeheartedly agree that the mental workload is minimal, but the quantity and quality of the work required makes it all much harder. I also study maths and physics - I'm hopefully going to study Geophysics at Imperial if I get my grades (AAA).

The hardest subject must be a language. It requires total immersion in order to succeed and you need to be almost fluent to be able to do 'well' in it.

Other subjects may require mainly memory skills (geography, biology, history, business studies, politics), others are fairly easy in the sense that there is an answer, and the questions are fairly repetitive if you can recognise patterns of questions (maths, physics, chemistry). In some the more you write, the more likely you are to get a mark (english lit.) - imo this makes it easier. However in a language (german, french, spanish, maybe even latin) you need to have many of these different skills - memory, recognition, good writing skills, communication - in order to put across or understand an idea or something said, not even taking into account getting a question in an exam correct.

(I have no idea what 'Classical Civilisation' is.)

ReputationRep:
    out of Biology, Chemistry, Maths, German, and Physics, maths was for me definitely the hardest closely followed by physics

ReputationRep:
    I wish people would stop these "hardest subject thread" , its subjective, what one person finds hard another will find easy.

/endthread
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I picked History because it's what I would find the hardest. Interesting to see Chemistry is picked as the hardest, I wonder how many people that voted for it actually took it, in my opinion its difficulty is exaggerated and ranks on par with other sciences like Biology

I think it could vary between exam boards personally. English Literature is the hardest for me but that's because of the inconsistent AQA marking which always seems to cost me.

ReputationRep:
    I did maths, and for me it was easy, but I think for most people it's pretty hard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iendeduponfbagain)
    Art is the hardest subject. End of. There is not one person I know who does the combination Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths (typically hard subjects) who has stayed behind till 17:30-18:00 even ONCE just to get their work done. For art this may have to be done every day for a week, on several occasions. This is irrespective of how hard you work or conscientious you are. If you want to get at least an A in the subject this has to be done. I've had to do this a couple of times, as well as other people in my class. However, I wholeheartedly agree that the mental workload is minimal, but the quantity and quality of the work required makes it all much harder. I also study maths and physics - I'm hopefully going to study Geophysics at Imperial if I get my grades (AAA).

The hardest subject must be a language. It requires total immersion in order to succeed and you need to be almost fluent to be able to do 'well' in it.

Other subjects may require mainly memory skills (geography, biology, history, business studies, politics), others are fairly easy in the sense that there is an answer, and the questions are fairly repetitive if you can recognise patterns of questions (maths, physics, chemistry). In some the more you write, the more likely you are to get a mark (english lit.) - imo this makes it easier. However in a language (german, french, spanish, maybe even latin) you need to have many of these different skills - memory, recognition, good writing skills, communication - in order to put across or understand an idea or something said, not even taking into account getting a question in an exam correct.

(I have no idea what 'Classical Civilisation' is.)

Hmm. Contradiction here? Or is Art a language all in itself?

ReputationRep:
    meh Chemistry's alright - don't know why loads of people have put that down...

Biology on the other hand is okay, but toooooooooo much content!! :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lily Academia)
    Hmm. Contradiction here? Or is Art a language all in itself?
    Hey, yeah sorry when i was rereading through it I probably missed out putting 'academic subject'. instead of 'subject' in reference to a language. It was a mistake by one word. You knew what I meant anyway...

ReputationRep:
    Originally Posted by mooniibuggy
    Chemistry! The exams are ridiculous especially if you're doing OCR Salters. A2 Chemistry includes everything at AS (concepts are reintroduced) so you're basically learning AS all over again on top of A2. Also, you carry out a 3/4 week investigation and write up 40 pages and if your investigation results are wrong, you're pretty much screwed. It has literally been one of the most stressful things ever. Chemistry is both difficult and demanding at A-level, whereas some subjects are just demanding, or just difficult. Hope that makes sense.

(Original post by gozatron)
    40 Pages?!?

You've got it easy, i'm on 40 pages at the moment and still on the analysis!

Some fella did 120 pages last year, though 40 were graphs :teeth:

just had my coursework mark back and did about 65 pages. its ok as long as you have the time to invest in it, whcih luckily i did.

hope yours goes well, which reaction did you do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sparkii--xx)
    Originally Posted by mooniibuggy
    Chemistry! The exams are ridiculous especially if you're doing OCR Salters. A2 Chemistry includes everything at AS (concepts are reintroduced) so you're basically learning AS all over again on top of A2. Also, you carry out a 3/4 week investigation and write up 40 pages and if your investigation results are wrong, you're pretty much screwed. It has literally been one of the most stressful things ever. Chemistry is both difficult and demanding at A-level, whereas some subjects are just demanding, or just difficult. Hope that makes sense.

just had my coursework mark back and did about 65 pages. its ok as long as you have the time to invest in it, whcih luckily i did.

hope yours goes well, which reaction did you do?

We don't get told our mark.. I did the Bromide/Bromate reaction.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, yeah sorry when i was rereading through it I probably missed out putting 'academic subject'. instead of 'subject' in reference to a language. It was a mistake by one word. You knew what I meant anyway...
    Mhmm. I don't disagree; I'm finding my Fine Art AS level to be more work, effort and time than a great deal of my other subjects combined. But I don't think languages are the hardest at A2, I agree they require a lot of combined skills such as memory, fluency, spontaneity etc, but certainly at AS-level they aren't as difficult as I imagine the Sciences will be.

some the more you write, the more likely you are to get a mark (english lit.)
    Oh and that, by the way, is just nonsense. Take someone who hasn't got a clue what book they're meant to be studying, and place them into an English Lit exam. They'll fail. Even if someone has read the set text 5 times they can still fail. It doesn't matter if they write 1 page or 10, if they don't answer the question with a relevant answer they're not going to get any marks.

ReputationRep:
    Foreign languages.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boromir9111)
    What a ridiculous thread........this is totally subjective this question and will never get a definitive answer!

Eh, it will get an average?
    Thats still interesting to know and is not ridiculous

ReputationRep:
    But I don't think languages are the hardest at A2, I agree they require a lot of combined skills such as memory, fluency, spontaneity etc, but certainly at AS-level they aren't as difficult as I imagine the Sciences will be.
    In my school's exam results from 2009, the AS results for French were substantially worse, in terms of percentages, than any of the sciences. (http://www.suttongrammar.sutton.sch....esults2009.pdf)
    Check it out if you want. Indeed, last year in AS level out of the 7 people taking French, 5 were predicted an A and yet only 2 - who were already fairly fluent in French - achieved this. I'm saying that when it comes to statistics (at least in my school), it less likely that you will achieve well when studying a language like French. But from doing some cyber stalking I see that you're doing it and predicted an A. Good luck!

Oh and that, by the way, is just nonsense. Take someone who hasn't got a clue what book they're meant to be studying, and place them into an English Lit exam. They'll fail. Even if someone has read the set text 5 times they can still fail. It doesn't matter if they write 1 page or 10, if they don't answer the question with a relevant answer they're not going to get any marks.
    This point is irrelevant. You can say this about any subject, when you're assuming the student partaking in the exam is under-prepared. When comparing an English exam to a science or maths exam, if somebody doesn't completely understand they are more likely to get marks because there are many more valid points to give in response. My thought process is: if you write more, you are more likely to hit a point in the examiner's mark scheme, and therefore easier.

This differs from the type of MFL-style paper, where it is 50-60% 1 or 2 mark questions - you either know the answer or you don't - followed by a longer 30 mark question. This is possibly "worst" of both worlds, depending on how you look at it.

My logic is infallible(!)...ish.

ReputationRep:
    You missed out Computing

ReputationRep:
    media studies, because you have to sell your dignity to do it.

ReputationRep:
    In my school's exam results from 2009, the AS results for French were substantially worse, in terms of percentages, than any of the sciences. (http://www.suttongrammar.sutton.sch....esults2009.pdf)
    Check it out if you want. Indeed, last year in AS level out of the 7 people taking French, 5 were predicted an A and yet only 2 - who were already fairly fluent in French - achieved this. I'm saying that when it comes to statistics (at least in my school), it less likely that you will achieve well when studying a language like French. But from doing some cyber stalking I see that you're doing it and predicted an A. Good luck!

This point is irrelevant. You can say this about any subject, when you're assuming the student partaking in the exam is under-prepared. When comparing an English exam to a science or maths exam, if somebody doesn't completely understand they are more likely to get marks because there are many more valid points to give in response. My thought process is: if you write more, you are more likely to hit a point in the examiner's mark scheme, and therefore easier.

This differs from the type of MFL-style paper, where it is 50-60% 1 or 2 mark questions - you either know the answer or you don't - followed by a longer 30 mark question. This is possibly "worst" of both worlds, depending on how you look at it.

My logic is infallible(!)...ish.

Oh this was completely different at our school (the french that is), we have a really small sixth form, and last year only 3 did french and all 3 achieved A*s...and personally i find french alright compared to german!

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.