Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    We have seen the recent uprisings and watched the dominos fall. First Tunisia's Ben Ali then Egypt's Mubarak, now Libya's Gaddafi appears to be falling. I don't know enough about Iran and am wondering why the Iranian regime is still standing in the face of what I percieve to be such a strong opposition. Is Iran's policing too well advanced, Is the opposition not as strong as in the other nations or are there other factors at play?

Discuss....

ReputationRep:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-12475824

ReputationRep:
    Iran had elections

Iran voted

Ahmadinejad won
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Salazar)
    Iran had elections

Iran voted

Ahmadinejad won
    Very dubious elections.

But to be fair when a state starts throwing opposition leaders in prison they lose most of their legitimacy.

The tories won but if Ed Miliband was thrown in prison that would count for very little.

ReputationRep:
    The Iranian government is a lot more sophisticated, brutal and advanced compared to the former Libyan, Tunisian and Egyptian governments so they are able to foil protests and make a police state more efficiently.

But things will change there soon. I have lots of family in Iran, go there quite a lot, and there are barely any supporters of the regime there, not even in the poor areas. The economy is getting worse by the day and people are getting even more tired of the regime.

Shirin Ebadi who was the Nobel Prize winner and one of the most prominent Iranian human rights activists and lawyers only recently said that there will be another uprising in Iran soon, it's just a matter of something sparking it all off again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Koobideh)
    The Iranian government is a lot more sophisticated, brutal and advanced compared to the former Libyan, Tunisian and Egyptian governments so they are able to foil protests and make a police state more efficiently.

But things will change there soon. I have lots of family in Iran, go there quite a lot, and there are barely any supporters of the regime there, not even in the poor areas. The economy is getting worse by the day and people are getting even more tired of the regime.

Shirin Ebadi who was the Nobel Prize winner and one of the most prominent Iranian human rights activists and lawyers only recently said that there will be another uprising in Iran soon, it's just a matter of something sparking it all off again.
    Well, if you're Iranian you should be VERY worried. Any power struggle there and good old Uncle Sam will try to fill that vacuum. They've been gunning for Iran for upteen years.

Police state vs letting the devil in your country. Nobody wins. I hope the Iranians can peacefully reform, without the USA interfering (it's in their nature, they won't refrain). They paint the country as evil but actions speak louder than words: the actions of America over the last couple of decades alone have been far more evil than anything the Iranians have done in the last century (numerous regime change attempts in South America, Somalia, Iraq, Afghanistan to name a few).

ReputationRep:
    There are currently small protests going on in Iran by students, but there are no foreign reporters to report about it. But as mentioned the police suppression is stronger in Iran compared to countries mentioned.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silent ninja)
    Well, if you're Iranian you should be VERY worried. Any power struggle there and good old Uncle Sam will try to fill that vacuum. They've been gunning for Iran for upteen years.

Police state vs letting the devil in your country. Nobody wins. I hope the Iranians can peacefully reform, without the USA interfering (it's in their nature, they won't refrain). They paint the country as evil but actions speak louder than words: the actions of America over the last couple of decades alone have been far more evil than anything the Iranians have done in the last century.
    Yeah hopefully they don't interfere. But I don't think they can afford to interfere though even if they wanted to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by B-Man.)
    We have seen the recent uprisings and watched the dominos fall. First Tunisia's Ben Ali then Egypt's Mubarak, now Libya's Gaddafi appears to be falling. I don't know enough about Iran and am wondering why the Iranian regime is still standing in the face of what I percieve to be such a strong opposition. Is Iran's policing too well advanced, Is the opposition not as strong as in the other nations or are there other factors at play?

Discuss....
    Bahrain has strong opposition, yet it hasn't fallen. Nor has the world come to its aid when Saudi tanked rolled in.

Where's the justice?

ReputationRep:
    Possibly because Iran is already an Islamist state, whereas the others are only on their way to becoming Islamist? I don't know much about Iran though, so it's a bit of a stab in the dark, and I suspect it would have a lot to do with how easily America and other Western powers can manipulate Iran to satisfy their needs and wants. That tends to be how international relations work .

ReputationRep:
    You have to be careful what you say about the government in Iran or you'll disappear just like that.

And Silent_ninja hit the nail on the head. There are still many supporters of the regime, either through their beliefs or fear of USA becoming a part of them again if anything happened.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Koobideh)
    Yeah hopefully they don't interfere. But I don't think they can afford to interfere though even if they wanted to.
    Oh yes they can. Iran has plenty of oil that will more than sufficiently repay any war. Not to mention the strategic location. That has to be prime spot. They'll also be doing Israel a huge favour (since they support Israel unconditionally-- do not forget this); they've been trying to decapitate Iran for years on Israel's behalf especially.

If you're Iranian, don't take Americans as your friends. They dont give a **** about you and your human rights, they have ulterior motives.

ReputationRep:

Discuss....
    The opposition is not as big as portrayed in Western media. They are centred around the big cities. Northern Tehran with the Universities and the upper class. Shiraz is the same.
    Ahmedinajad and the conservatives have huge support from the poor rural people which are their backbone. Without them they would never be in power. It's not the fact that it's oppressive, it's the fact that they can't garner enough support.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by und)
    Possibly because Iran is already an Islamist state, whereas the others are only on their way to becoming Islamist?
    Please explain how Tunisia is on it's way to becoming an Islamist state. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Please explain how Tunisia is on it's way to becoming an Islamist state. :rolleyes:
    The protestors are not allied in opposition to the regime, and I suspect there is strong support for a more Islamic state amongst them, just as there is in all of the Arab countries that have seen protests.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by und)
    The protestors are not allied in opposition to the regime, and I suspect there is strong support for a more Islamic state amongst them, just as there is in all of the Arab countries that have seen protests.
    Oh I see, you have NO clue what you are talking about.

ReputationRep:
    Cos Ahmadinejad is a badman tbh.

He is "stronger" in a sense than the others. Still a retard.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Oh I see, you have NO clue what you are talking about.
    Tbh I wonder how many Muslims actually want to live in Islamic states.

ReputationRep:
    The US can never take Iran for its "oil". If they went in they would just have an unwinnable situation which would be on a completely different scale to Afghanistan, and any military campaign in Iran would send world oil prices spiralling out of control. That's why the US is always so cagey on Iran, trying to rein in Israel. They've been saying year after year "all options are on the table with Iran including the military option to stop them getting nuclear weapons". Well those options will be off the table when Iran has nuclear capacity to strike Israel and Saudi. And thats whats going to happen, Iran will just get nuclear weapons before long and nothing will have been done about it. The US will never go in and fight in Iran because they know the consequences for oil prices would destroy the US economy. So they treat Iran with kid gloves.

In time I think the Iranian problem will resolve itself demographically. It's a young nation and fewer and fewer people from the revolution are around. It's also a much better educated and political population than the others in the region. I expect that eventually the pressure cooker on the pro democracy movement will force the leadership into reforms. The leadership will know that if it comes to civil war, they might have a powerful police state but that won't guarantee them power once the Iranian people get mobilised...the Shah had a powerful police state in 1979 with a fearsome reputation and that got toppled.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Tbh I wonder how many Muslims actually want to live in Islamic states.
    I'd rather live in a secular democracy tbh. I don't want to live under someone's interpretation of Islamic law. I Would much prefer a society in which our legislation can be based upon rationale and logic, instead of what someone thinks God wants from him. It is also worth noting that in Pakistan & Bangladesh (which have democratic elections) there has been practically no support for the Islamist political parties.
    Of course there are still many that would want an Islamic state but they all differ on what an Islamic state should be anyway. It isn't neccessarily an intrinsically bad thing for someone to want an Islamic state - it highly depends upon that Muslim's interpretation of Islam in the first place - whether it is a liberal one or not.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.