Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I had the best calamari today. They were spiced up rings with hot peppers and range of other things.

I love ordering calamari starter when I'm out but I'm always left wanting more. I'd love to be able to make them at home the same way they make them at restaurants.

Has anyone ever tried to? I think they use spicy bread crumbs or batter, I'm not sure, all I know is that they are nomilicious.

ReputationRep:
    Chicken Burgers are better.

ReputationRep:
    haven't had any in ages!! but my mum used to cook em nd they were goooood!
    i doubt anyone on tsr will know the recipies tbh, better off trying google

ReputationRep:
    Same. When we went on holiday to Sardinia our apartment was above this restaurant which made them and every day the smell would drift up to us....Yum!

I've had the ones which are ready made and you can put in the oven. They obviously aren't as nice but still pretty good. It would be interesting to try and make them one day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boom.Squish)
    Same. When we went on holiday to Sardinia our apartment was above this restaurant which made them and every day the smell would drift up to us....Yum!

I've had the ones which are ready made and you can put in the oven. They obviously aren't as nice but still pretty good. It would be interesting to try and make them one day.
    I once bought ready made ones to put in the oven, these were a youngs brand and they were awful.

I think I'm going to hunt for recipes this evening and then buy everything on saturday.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by f00ddude)
    haven't had any in ages!! but my mum used to cook em nd they were goooood!
    i doubt anyone on tsr will know the recipies tbh, better off trying google
    I guess you're right, I'll have a search on google.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oh-my-diddy)
    Chicken Burgers are better.
    Not for me.

Chicken burgers are nice though, in moderation.

ReputationRep:
    I know what i'm making for my dinner on saturday!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by babygirl110)
    I once bought ready made ones to put in the oven, these were a youngs brand and they were awful.
    I LOVE Calamari! I also bought the frozen ones that you warm up in the oven and they like you said tasted awful

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by U.S Lecce)
    I know what i'm making for my dinner on saturday!
    Haha cool, all the best!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/de...amariwit_68061

I found this recipe, it looks really easy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HumanNature1992)
    I LOVE Calamari! I also bought the frozen ones that you warm up in the oven and they like you said tasted awful
    Lol really, the packaging looked so promising though. Which brand was it?

I guess the non fresh ones will always be horrible.

I've decided I'll make some this sat. I would have done it tomorrow evening but I'm going out.

The thought of handling raw squid gives me shivers though.

ReputationRep:
    Lol really, the packaging looked so promising though. Which brand was it?

I guess the non fresh ones will always be horrible.

I've decided I'll make some this sat. I would have done it tomorrow evening but I'm going out.

The thought of handling raw squid gives me shivers though.
    Haha yes, it's Youngs - just had a look and yes the packaging makes it look so much better than what it is.

See this is the thing, when I cooked some raw prawns it turned out horribly and sortof put me off! Good luck though, but as far as fishy stuff are concerned i'll just stick to buying them at restaurants

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HumanNature1992)
    Haha yes, it's Youngs - just had a look and yes the packaging makes it look so much better than what it is.

See this is the thing, when I cooked some raw prawns it turned out horribly and sortof put me off! Good luck though, but as far as fishy stuff are concerned i'll just stick to buying them at restaurants
    Lol, I was actually thinking of cooking raw shelled prawns a few weeks ago but then I was really apprehensive because I wasn't sure what marinade or garnish to use. My mate said it's best just to steam them plain but I gave up on the idea lol.

It's just that every time I eat calamari it's a small starter plate with only 5-10 rings and I'm left just wanting more so I figured I should learn to do it myself and that way I won't be so obsessed with because it will become less of a delicacy.

ReputationRep:
    I hate it!!

ReputationRep:
    It's just that every time I eat calamari it's a small starter plate with only 5-10 rings and I'm left just wanting more so I figured I should learn to do it myself and that way I won't be so obsessed with because it will become less of a delicacy.
    i really like calamari too but personally i think after a few i wouldn't want anymore so a stater portion is good for me. you should make some lemon/garlic mayo to go with them

ReputationRep:
    I had the best calamari today. They were spiced up rings with hot peppers and range of other things.

I love ordering calamari starter when I'm out but I'm always left wanting more. I'd love to be able to make them at home the same way they make them at restaurants.

Has anyone ever tried to? I think they use spicy bread crumbs or batter, I'm not sure, all I know is that they are nomilicious.
    I thought they were onion rings when I first had them LOL.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miranda13)
    i really like calamari too but personally i think after a few i wouldn't want anymore so a stater portion is good for you. you should make some lemon/garlic mayo to go with them
    I think I'm obsessed with food.

Thanks for the tip!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jimcatinnes)
    I thought they were onion rings when I first had them LOL.
    lol, hope you liked them.

ReputationRep:
    Spanish grandmother = homemade calamari every weekend = BOOOOOOM.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aja89)
    Spanish grandmother = homemade calamari every weekend = BOOOOOOM.
    Recipe or gtfo

Spoiler:
    Show
    kidding

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.