Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Subjects you wish you had chosen to study, but didn't watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I sometimes think to myself how much I would love to be studying physics at university. I just find it so interesting and I'm jealous of some of my friends who study science subjects. I blame my old school, in a way. I only achieved a B at GCSE physics, and I got the impression from my teachers that only the very best students would cope with it at A-level, so I was discouraged from taking it. Now I realise that that was a load of ****, as people develop intellectually at different speeds. Ah well.

ReputationRep:
    Grass is always greener etc

ReputationRep:
    Wish I had never picked Biology and Chemistry at A Level and had picked History and Drama instead. Damn my dentist dream :shakefist:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by electriic_ink)
    Grass is always greener etc
    True, but I still wish I was doing Maths over Biomedical Science.

ReputationRep:
    For A-Levels I wish I did Maths, Further Maths, Physics and then Computer Science at University. But I'm not going to complain as you can't anticipate how life turns out.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe you could study it after uni by taking up another degree/getting another qualification? A friend of mine who did BA French and Spanish and I think postgrad translation recently realised how much she's interested in Psychology.

ReputationRep:
    I wish I'd carried on with History and taken Government & Politics at A Level
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    The thing I loved most about doing Music at Oxford was the interdisciplinary nature of everything. It meant I did bits of literature, history, anthropology, psychology, sociology, drama. It was great. So for the most part I didn't miss other subjects or feel like I was missing out.

I did miss Shakespeare and Chaucer a fair bit though. That got fixed with an enforced sabbatical term of doing medieval mystery plays though. Epic win all round :awesome:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I wish I hadn't dropped Maths after AS level. I coped pretty well at A2 and so could probably have managed Maths as well. It would have helped with my chosen degree subject as well. Never mind. It's done too late to worry now!

ReputationRep:
    I wish I could have picked A level History, but it clashed on my college's timetable with English Lit. Ultimately, it was the latter I wanted to do at university so Lit won.

ReputationRep:
    I wish i did chem at A-Level

ReputationRep:
    Wish I had done an engineering degree =/

ReputationRep:
    Reapplied through UCAS in my first year of another degree to go and study architecture. Got the offers, gutted i didnt take them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by reviresco)
    Reapplied through UCAS in my first year of another degree to go and study architecture. Got the offers, gutted i didnt take them.
    At what point in your first year did in apply?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teveth)
    At what point in your first year did in apply?
    Just before the deadline, mid Jan.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't started study at university yet, but I'm going to study Physics in September. I always loved the idea of medicine but I never thought I'd be clever enough. I'm seriously considering GEM after my degree. Follow your dreams and all that stuff

ReputationRep:
    Maths A level....a first class physics degree took a hellish amount of work without it.

ReputationRep:
    I'm happy with all the subjects I did study, but if only I'd had the time I would ideally also have done A levels in Philosophy & Ethics, Psychology and German, and Art up to A2 level.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wish i'd done philosophy, if only at A-level. I love my degree (maths and physics) but there's a part of me that wonders how things would've turned out if i took a completely different route.

Ah well, i manage to read up on it in my spare time anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Wish Id taken Politics or Law at A Level :rolleyes: never mind! Everything happens for a reason.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.