Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Subjects you wish you had chosen to study, but didn't watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Classics
    I have studied quite a lot of mythology and literature from that era on my course this year and am fascinated by it! I had never studied it before so didn't know I was as interested in it as I am. But I am more interested in Classic Civ and stuff (I think that's what it comes under) than like... Latin/Greek?

ReputationRep:
    Wish I'd taken photography. Just as a fun extra subject. I love doing it out of college, would be brilliant to learn the proper techniques.
    Buuuuut I don't know what I'd want to drop instead

ReputationRep:
    I wish I'd Taken history instead of maths

ReputationRep:
    Why did I take A level French for Philosophy?! Why?... Pour Qoui?

ReputationRep:
    I wish i had taken history at A level and GCSE because now i soooooooo regret it dame the teachers!!

ReputationRep:
    I'm on my A2 year now and I regret not picking up German AS! But I'm happy with my full A-levels; I think I've made the right decision on those.

ReputationRep:
    I wish I'd taken biology.

ReputationRep:
    History seems to be really popular. Wish i'd taken History instead of English Lit :/

ReputationRep:
    I regret not taking English Lit, History, and Philosophy. I would change all of my A Level choices if I could go back in time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 21stcenturyphantom)
    Some very diverse replies here. I have a few questions. For those of you currently studying for a degree that say you wished you studied something different, how do you feel knowing that you have to complete the rest of your degree in something you are not 100% committed to or do not feel completely passionate about? And will you follow your degree up with a career in your chosen field, or upon reflection will you turn to study something else or pursue an entirely different career?
    Thankfully, my course has scope that I can still indulge in studying classics in the way that I would have wanted to - literature/mythology etc. I really love my course, because of the range I get, and so am still 100% committed to it, I would just have liked to have known I had such an interest it it, before, so that I could have studied it in greater depth in first year as well, rather than just for a few weeks of the course! If I do a Masters or something, I may concentrate on this kind of literature. I am not entirely sure yet - I still have two years and a myriad of other types of literature still to study so I may find other eras I am equally as interested in!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yesioo)
    Wish I had never picked Biology and Chemistry at A Level and had picked History and Drama instead. Damn my dentist dream :shakefist:
    Im exactly the same as you! I wish I chose History and R.S instead of chem and bio. damn my dentist dream also

now im doing law anyway which was also a choice of mine before failing to get into dentistry and history/ r.s would have probably been more useful!

ReputationRep:
    I wish i'd been able to take a language GCSE, because then I would definitely have taken it at AS. Damn school

ReputationRep:
    really wish I had done biology and chemistry at A level. I wasn't useless at them, my teachers were awful though so being trying to be all rebel I never used to do anything. I did get an A in chemistry but a C in bio. Hmm.

I also wish I could do a history degree, but hopefully I can in Clearing/ begging my unis if I make the grade in the summer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teveth)
    I sometimes think to myself how much I would love to be studying physics at university. I just find it so interesting and I'm jealous of some of my friends who study science subjects. I blame my old school, in a way. I only achieved a B at GCSE physics, and I got the impression from my teachers that only the very best students would cope with it at A-level, so I was discouraged from taking it. Now I realise that that was a load of ****, as people develop intellectually at different speeds. Ah well.
    grass is always greener, everyones life sucks boooohooo.

you'd probably ***** about physics if you did it

ReputationRep:
    Physics for me too. But I love economics as well and now that I think about it a Physics degree would have been more hard work than I would've liked.

ReputationRep:
    I wish I did music :moon:

ReputationRep:
    History and art. The first would probably come in useful for uni next year and I just always enjoyed the second...
    I do really like maths too though so I wouldn't have wanted to drop that.

ReputationRep:
    maths; probably the most sought after subject

Amongst the subjects that I do, Chem, Bio, Geog and RE (Philosophy of Religion), RE is the most difficult and the most interesting. That said, it is easiest to achieve a high grade in due to lots of people bringing grade boundaries down.

ReputationRep:
    I wish I hadn't bothered with sociology and taken dance. Otherwise, I'm happy with all my choices.

ReputationRep:
    Wish I'd taken Geography at GCSE instead of PE and then again at A-Level instead of Psychology. I also wish I could have taken Economics, but unfortunately our school didn't offer it so I was unable to.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.