Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I was just wondering as to whether my A levels/GCSEs are a good mix for when I apply to medicine?

GCSEs: Science: AA
    Graphics: A
    Maths: B
    English lit: B
    RE: B
    Geography: B
    French: C
    English Language: C ):
    Art: D

I screwed up on my GCSEs simply because I didn't revise for a single exam bar science, what a fool I was...

I am currently studying for my As levels, and by the end of the year hope to have got an A in chemistry, biology, geology, and geography.

Next year I am taking Chemistry, Biology, and Geography (Good choices for a medicine application?)

I am soon going to start work experience in a local old folks home, and am planning on joining St John's Ambulance. I am also a fully qualified sailing instructor and teach foreign students during the holidays.

If I did happen to get all A's at the end of my As year how would you consider my application would fare if I applied for medicine?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    I'm not an expert on medical applications, but given the insanely high standards that they seem to have (60% of applicants are rejected from all four choices, some medical schools instantly reject you if you don't have 8 A*, and a lot of people get rejected even with straight A* at GCSE) I honestly don't think you're in a great position.

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately, your GCSEs will limit where you can apply as some med schools ask for specific grades.
    Have a look at this table http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...E_Requirements and work on making the rest of your application very strong. If you do choose to apply, make sure you choose your universities wisely.

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    Hi yor gcse grades ll affect your chances and so will your a levels as most medicine degress require 3 sciences or 2 sciences and one math with grades AAAB The b in you fourth a level

ReputationRep:
    i spoke to my head of 6th form about this because my gcse grades arent great either, but i have a different reason for that... and she says every conference or uni 'gathering' she's been to, theyve said 5 As at GCSE is the minimum. but if you try really hard and get amazing as grades and then write a cracking personal statement, inc. good bmat/ukcat scores, i dont see why they wouldnt value your application the same as anyone elses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ummi1)
    Hi yor gcse grades ll affect your chances and so will your a levels as most medicine degress require 3 sciences or 2 sciences and one math with grades AAAB The b in you fourth a level
    That's not true.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ummi1)
    I'm pretty sure my A levels won't affect my chances, most medicine courses dont require 3 science subjects?! just chem, and one other science.. And they don't require a fourth A level?!

Thanks to everyone else that replied, although I've looked at quite a few medicine courses, and a percentage of them say only C or higher in GCSE maths and English (including Cambridge!!) so I presumed that they wouldn't value your GCSEs too highly and instead base it on other things such as your BMAT/UKCAT score?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ummi1)
    This is a straight out LIE. You only needs chemistry in most, and lots also demand biology A level. Other than that, world is your oyster.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by navarre)
    This is a straight out LIE. You only needs chemistry in most, and lots also demand biology A level. Other than that, world is your oyster.
    So surely this year if I have 4 grade A's (in As's) including biology and chem, wouldn't that put me in the running?

Obviously I will gain appropriate work experience etc.

ReputationRep:
    Getting a C in English limits you a bit.

Other than that, you're set.

ReputationRep:
    Geology Rocks :awesome:

You still got a shot though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doctogan)
    Getting a C in English limits you a bit.

Other than that, you're set.
    Yeahhh, and it was so easy ):
    I did get a B in english lit, and I believe that is considered to be harder so they might take that into consideration..

Another thing is I have a phobia of wrists (underside of wrists) I really need to get over it if i want to be a doctor xD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swahmad)
    Geology Rocks :awesome:

You still got a shot though
    -.- I am considering a degree in geology aswell.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paulbridger)
    I'm pretty sure my A levels won't affect my chances, most medicine courses dont require 3 science subjects?! just chem, and one other science.. And they don't require a fourth A level?!

Thanks to everyone else that replied, although I've looked at quite a few medicine courses, and a percentage of them say only C or higher in GCSE maths and English (including Cambridge!!) so I presumed that they wouldn't value your GCSEs too highly and instead base it on other things such as your BMAT/UKCAT score?
    just because they put 5 GCSEs grades A* to C doesnt mean thats what they actually expect. Many places would expect a good reason for those GCSEs. different places put different values on your GCSEs so you still have a chance but its probably going to be an uphill struggle. Your chances might improve if you apply post A level results though

ReputationRep:
    what i was trying to say is that ive been on imperial ucl and kings and their policy is to do a medicee in uni you have to take three sciences and one other subeject or two sciences one math and one other subject. I have done my reasearch and thats what it says as i want to apply for medicine to so im taking chem bilogy maths and psychology the grades that you have to get is aaab the as in the 3 sciences or the 2sciences and one math and the b in the additional subject that you are taking eveyone who presumes im a liar check their website!

ReputationRep:
    You dont require the fouth a level but by the end of your as level you need a b in that subject nothing less thats what it says on the website anyway hope everything works out for you good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ummi1)
    what i was trying to say is that ive been on imperial ucl and kings and their policy is to do a medicee in uni you have to take three sciences and one other subeject or two sciences one math and one other subject. I have done my reasearch and thats what it says as i want to apply for medicine to so im taking chem bilogy maths and psychology the grades that you have to get is aaab the as in the 3 sciences or the 2sciences and one math and the b in the additional subject that you are taking eveyone who presumes im a liar check their website!
    this is not true. im pretty sure ucl state that they favour those applicants who have a contrasting third subject, i.e. a non science one

*edit* lookee here http://www.ucl.ac.uk/medicalschool/m...quirements.pdf

"Some preference will be given to applicants who offer a contrasting subject at AS/A-level. In this context a
    contrasting subject is one outside the traditional science subjects of Maths, Chemistry, Biology and Physics. For
    example: English Literature, History, Geography, Art, Music, Religious Studies, Design and Technology, a foreign
    language etc."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by periwinkle304)
    this is not true. im pretty sure ucl state that they favour those applicants who have a contrasting third subject, i.e. a non science one

*edit* lookee here http://www.ucl.ac.uk/medicalschool/m...quirements.pdf

"Some preference will be given to applicants who offer a contrasting subject at AS/A-level. In this context a
    contrasting subject is one outside the traditional science subjects of Maths, Chemistry, Biology and Physics. For
    example: English Literature, History, Geography, Art, Music, Religious Studies, Design and Technology, a foreign
    language etc."

So Biology, chem, and geography would be perfect? for ucl anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paulbridger)
    So Biology, chem, and geography would be perfect? for ucl anyway.
    i reckon so

ReputationRep:
    The rest of your application is going to have to be absolutely spectacular to mitigate those GCSEs, and you will have to apply very carefully indeed.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.