Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello all , My name is Joe I've a few questions based on the law degree provided by the open university.

basically I start in June with "starting with law" then begin the compulsory modules in February 2012.

my questions are , i want to be a solicitor. If I put all my time into it can I achieve this. I do not work so i have a lot of free time.

Also this course takes 6 years to complete , I will be 26 when i pass. Is this to long? will I be told old?

I cannot go to Leicester dmu as i do not meet the criteria to get in.

Are there any other members doing this course?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I am a law student currently studying the law degree alongside the BPTC which is the barrister Equivilant of the LPC. The full university course to progress to be a solicitor is 5 year, so the average age of going for a training contract is 24 and getting a job at the age of 26.

At some point you are going to have to join the SRA to become a practicing solictor and study towards your LPC, The LPC is only available from universities so you really need to think of a method to get access to a university, one method of doing this which sounds suitable for you from looking at your post above is to join a univesrsity such as Northumbria which offers a distant learning course meaning you study in your own time and attend the university for exams.

Hope this gives you a bit of guidance - look in to access to the legal proffesion and what qualifications are required before you begin any course and make sure you arent wasting your time.

If you need any assistance in understanding the required qualifications let me know and ill send you an 'itemised' list of requirements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morris86)
    Hello all , My name is Joe I've a few questions based on the law degree provided by the open university.

basically I start in June with "starting with law" then begin the compulsory modules in February 2012.

my questions are , i want to be a solicitor. If I put all my time into it can I achieve this. I do not work so i have a lot of free time.

Also this course takes 6 years to complete , I will be 26 when i pass. Is this to long? will I be told old?

I cannot go to Leicester dmu as i do not meet the criteria to get in.

Are there any other members doing this course?

Thanks.
    The method for becoming a solicitor is usually:

1) Complete a 'qualifying law degree' (the LLB offered by the Open University meets this requirement).

2) Complete an LPC (Legal Practice Course) - this usually takes one year and, unless you are fortunate enough to secure funding from an existing solicitor's firm willing to pay for the cost, you will have to raise the money for this privately. LPCs are very expensive so be weary of this.

3) Having completed the LPC, you are required to undertake a 'training contract' with a recognised solicitor's firm. This is paid and usually takes one year. After this you will be a fully qualified solicitor able to practice law.

Securing training contracts and LPC funding is a highly competitive process. I don't know what the statistics are like for OU graduates securing these contracts - perhaps the OU themselves will have some information about this?

If you do well in your first year law modules, you may well be able to secure a place at a 'conventional' University based on the results of your OU credits. For instance, the Universities of Oxford, Bristol, Sheffield, Exeter etc all accept OU credits as a method of entry. Personally I would recommend this route if you are able to do well in your courses, as all of the best jobs in the law are (unfortunately) reserved for the graduates from a tiny number of Universities.

Best of luck to you.

ReputationRep:
    i see, but i have no "a levels" so would one find it hard to get a job anywhere? if not at all?

ReputationRep:
    i see, but i have no "a levels" so would one find it hard to get a job anywhere? if not at all?
    Magic Circle firms demand certain A Levels but, realistically, you're unlikely to secure a place with them unless you have studied at Oxford or Cambridge.

Many firms only require a certain classification of degree. If you decided to become a Barrister instead of a Solicitor, most Chambers are not at all interested in A Levels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HLS)
    Magic Circle firms demand certain A Levels but, realistically, you're unlikely to secure a place with them unless you have studied at Oxford or Cambridge.

Many firms only require a certain classification of degree. If you decided to become a Barrister instead of a Solicitor, most Chambers are not at all interested in A Levels.
    Is this entirely true though? Most law firms that I seen seem to be looking for students with a minimum of BBB at A-Level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ludwig Wittgenstein)
    Is this entirely true though? Most law firms that I seen seem to be looking for students with a minimum of BBB at A-Level.
    It is quite common among solicitors firms to stipulate certain A Level requirements, it is less common among Chambers.

But there are firms who will only require a degree classification, so you will still have options.

ReputationRep:
    thanks for the replys , i believe im just going to do something which will help me stand out , maybe a masters.

ReputationRep:
    thanks for the replys , i believe im just going to do something which will help me stand out , maybe a masters.
    If you get a First Class degree, go for the BCL at Oxford

ReputationRep:
    That's nonsense. You can't study a law degree alongside BPTC. You need law degree or GDL before doing BPTC.

ReputationRep:
    That's nonsense. You can't study a law degree alongside BPTC. You need law degree or GDL before doing BPTC.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I am looking to start my law course with the ou as well, little older, a young looking 35 !
    Do you think this is to old. I will be doing the course with in 3 years to qualify for my LLB

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

I am also considering doing a full time graduate entry Law Degree with the OU too, I am 22 years old. I am very interested in terms of what the course offers and the fact it is a fast track degree, but my only real concern is with the funding.

I understand if you already have a degree, you cannot take out another student loan as these are in place for undergraduate students. It just seems in terms of the tuition fees, the LPC and everything else, that training to be a Lawyer is incredibly expensive. Therefore, I was wondering what funding there is out there to help cover the cost of the fees, and your living expenses. I find it hard to believe that only a small number of people can go down this route on the grounds that they have more money than others who are interested in this career path.

Any kind of advice on this would be extremely appreciated.Thanks for reading!

Matt Cooper

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.