Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dances_with_lamposts)
    Hi, I'm a GEM student just joined with the undergrads for CP1 (clinical plase 1), the situation with placements is that you may be placed at either; Nottingham, Derby, Mansfield of Lincoln. If you get sent to that latter two then you can have free accommodation on the hospital site for the duration of your placement. If you're sent to the other two then you have to find your own way there. I'm based in Derby (I live in derby because that's where the GEM course was based), lots/most of the undergrads coming from Nottingham are arranged into tutorial groups depending on who they can car share with so it makes things a lot easier for them.

I can't really tell you anything about the teaching because we did things very differently to the undergrads.

That's really helpful, thanks! If I can just ask one more thing from you: if I understand it correctly, you have to get to the QMC every Friday in the clinical phases for consolidatory teaching; being based in Derby, how easy is it to get there and back and how much does it cost you? Basically I'm trying to get an idea of how much clinical medical students have to budget for transport.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by houseelf)
    That's really helpful, thanks! If I can just ask one more thing from you: if I understand it correctly, you have to get to the QMC every Friday in the clinical phases for consolidatory teaching; being based in Derby, how easy is it to get there and back and how much does it cost you? Basically I'm trying to get an idea of how much clinical medical students have to budget for transport.
    No, we have teaching in Derby every Friday. There isn't much travelling to the QMC for us for now.

But.... if you did want to get to the QMC from Derby (or the other way round), it'd cost you about £5 return on the Red arrow bus.

ReputationRep:
    I was torn between UCL and Nottingham, so I know how hard it is! For me, there were three deciding factors:

1) The fact that my (fairly limited!) student finance would stretch to a generally more enjoyable time at Nottingham than in London.

2) Nottingham's amazing reputation for anatomy teaching - particularly important for me as I'm considering surgery!

3) I'm more familiar with Nottingham as a university, and I can honestly say I haven't yet found one thing I dislike about it. I'm sure that may change over the next 5 years, but hey!

I hope you make up your mind soon, and maybe I'll see you here come September!
    thanks for your thoughts, aaah there's so much to consider !

but notts is edging into the lead at the moment, so yes, maybe see you in september!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dances_with_lamposts)
    No, we have teaching in Derby every Friday. There isn't much travelling to the QMC for us for now.

But.... if you did want to get to the QMC from Derby (or the other way round), it'd cost you about £5 return on the Red arrow bus.
    Aha, I see. So while you're based in Derby, you're literally living and working in Derby 24/7?

ReputationRep:
    Firstly; 3 offers?! Damn you must be good :P Very well done too you, that's 3 offers better than I've managed this year. Are you a reapplicant?

I applied to Nottingham medical school, I must've visited the place about ten times for all kinds of different reasons, and I've been very impressed each time. They have excellent facilities; the labs are all filled with new equipment (as of recently), the school itself is actually part of the same building as the Queens Medical Centre so this must be beneficial for actual clinical experience and they are one of the few remaining medical schools to do full-body dissections which, according to the medical students I have spoken to, is supposedly one of the best ways to learn anatomy. Also, there was a big library just for the medical school which also recieved lots of praise from the students.

Also the city itself is nice, some great venues, good nightlife etc. Completely undeserving of its sometimes bad reputation. The University Park campus is only about a 15 minute bus ride from the centre of Nottingham and the medical school is just over the road. I hope this is of help anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MJHERBZ)
    Firstly; 3 offers?! Damn you must be good :P Very well done too you, that's 3 offers better than I've managed this year. Are you a reapplicant?

I applied to Nottingham medical school, I must've visited the place about ten times for all kinds of different reasons, and I've been very impressed each time. They have excellent facilities; the labs are all filled with new equipment (as of recently), the school itself is actually part of the same building as the Queens Medical Centre so this must be beneficial for actual clinical experience and they are one of the few remaining medical schools to do full-body dissections which, according to the medical students I have spoken to, is supposedly one of the best ways to learn anatomy. Also, there was a big library just for the medical school which also recieved lots of praise from the students.

Also the city itself is nice, some great venues, good nightlife etc. Completely undeserving of its sometimes bad reputation. The University Park campus is only about a 15 minute bus ride from the centre of Nottingham and the medical school is just over the road. I hope this is of help anyway
    Haha, thanks. To be honest I feel I got pretty lucky, I was "good" but nothing exceptional (6A*s, 4As at GCSE, AABC at AS, fairly generic work experience, but fortunately a confident interview manner). I thought I was lucky to get 1 offer, let alone 3! Sorry to hear you didn't have much luck this year; are you planning on trying again for the next intake? And no, I'm not a reapplicant, just a very lucky first-timer!

I've been to the university a few times, for a couple of Open Days and Medisix. I've gotta say, the uni itself is definitely the best-looking I've seen. I didn't realise they had all-new lab equipment, that's really good to hear!

I wasn't sure about the city to begin with, seeing as how I'm not a huge clubber, but the more I look the more I realise how much it deserves its reputation as an awesome student city. Can't wait to get stuck in! And yeah, I'm sure the whole "Shottingham" reputation is massively overplayed.

ReputationRep:
    Haha, thanks. To be honest I feel I got pretty lucky, I was "good" but nothing exceptional (6A*s, 4As at GCSE, AABC at AS, fairly generic work experience, but fortunately a confident interview manner). I thought I was lucky to get 1 offer, let alone 3! Sorry to hear you didn't have much luck this year; are you planning on trying again for the next intake? And no, I'm not a reapplicant, just a very lucky first-timer!

I've been to the university a few times, for a couple of Open Days and Medisix. I've gotta say, the uni itself is definitely the best-looking I've seen. I didn't realise they had all-new lab equipment, that's really good to hear!

I wasn't sure about the city to begin with, seeing as how I'm not a huge clubber, but the more I look the more I realise how much it deserves its reputation as an awesome student city. Can't wait to get stuck in! And yeah, I'm sure the whole "Shottingham" reputation is massively overplayed.
    Damn, I assummed you'd be a reapplicant, I was about to start asking for lots of advice on what to do on my gap year... :P Yeah, provided I get no less than 3 A's I'm planning on taking a gap year and reapplying, I've got so much work to do for those grades though! It's so cool that you got 3 offers just the first time round, academically we seem fairly similar. You must have had an awesome personal statement and UKCAT to get so many interviews

But yeah, back to Nottingham, its a great city. Plus because there are dozens of colleges and 2 universities apparently like 20% (or something reasonably high) of the population are students, so its a very student friendly city. And the campus is brilliant, its so nice and traditional. I think you'll do well there

ReputationRep:
    Aha, I see. So while you're based in Derby, you're literally living and working in Derby 24/7?
    Yep, but that's just because GEM stole my social life and I'm not really sure what to do with my time now that I have less to do! There are a fair few GEMs who have moved/are planning to move to Nottingham but I think I'm gonna stay around here for now.

Holy crap.... I just realised that by the time you get to CP1, I'll hopefully be an F1. Wow, that's scary. :eek:

ReputationRep:
    My boyfriend has just finished his finals at nottingham med school so i know quite a bit about the system and stuff. The placements are all sort of luck of the draw really, sometimes you can be really lucky and get mostly qmc/city based placements or you could be in lincoln or grantham for a lot. You are provided with accomodation at ones that are further away so its reasonable. Plus loads of people are always car sharing and the med school have set up a system that allows you to find someone to share a lift with if you dont drive yourself. The placements, however, are very good and the teaching on all of them is top standard. My bf was always complimenting the teaching, never complaining. The only problem he had was that for his whole of 4th year he didn't have one single placement in nottingham so that was a bit of a pain for him as he was involved in so many societies back at the uni campus so he had to keep driving back for rehearsals and training and stuff, but its managable, mansfield and derby are only a 40 min drive away so its not ages. I know a lot of people who are medics here and they all highly recommend it - i would definitely say go for notts cos it's an amazing city, excellent qmc and med school and you'll have a blast x

ReputationRep:
    The chicks are very bangable.

There's something to add to the 'pros' list.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.