Turn on thread page Beta

Why do guys only want girls when they're unavailable? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I was just wondering because it's an absolute mystery to me.

It seems like when I make an effort for a guy I like, they don't want to know. As soon as I find something or someone better, they're suddenly interested again. It's as if they only want to talk to me when I'm not talking to them.

What's up with that? It's happened with every guy I've been with and my friends all complain about it. Even my guy friends say things like "it's all about the chase". But why? Why can't you like a girl, want to talk to her and be with her and that's that? Why does there have to be some element of unavailability to entice a guy?

I'm not having a dig and I am generalising a bit, but I just don't understand it. Someone please enlighten me!

ReputationRep:
    Because they're immature idiots and don't know what's good for them.

ReputationRep:
    Unavailable = proof of quality

It's like seeing a seller on ebay with good feedback.

ReputationRep:
    Well now that you're interested in someone else, they're going to be after what they can't have.

ReputationRep:
    Well obviously they don't. If guys didn't like girls who were available, then no single girl would end up in a relationship, so no girls would be unavailable, guys wouldn't want any of them and the human race would die out.

ReputationRep:
    pfft. baffles me too. men are simple creatures, they shouldn't be so difficult to understand. probably something biologically hardwired, who knows. when you've figured it out pass on the word, bird.

(Original post by Arielle)
    I was just wondering because it's an absolute mystery to me.

It seems like when I make an effort for a guy I like, they don't want to know. As soon as I find something or someone better, they're suddenly interested again. It's as if they only want to talk to me when I'm not talking to them.

What's up with that? It's happened with every guy I've been with and my friends all complain about it. Even my guy friends say things like "it's all about the chase". But why? Why can't you like a girl, want to talk to her and be with her and that's that? Why does there have to be some element of unavailability to entice a guy?

I'm not having a dig and I am generalising a bit, but I just don't understand it. Someone please enlighten me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by riotgrrl)
    Well obviously they don't. If guys didn't like girls who were available, then no single girl would end up in a relationship, so no girls would be unavailable, guys wouldn't want any of them and the human race would die out.
    Pretty much sums it up.
    When girls are single, some count them as an insurance option, when they start going out with someone they think ****

ReputationRep:
    Cause the idea of having a guys' sloppy seconds is such a turn on.

ReputationRep:
    Nonsense. Only guys who get gash by the hour want "unavailable" girls. The rest are more than happy to take anything that doesn't have a penis

ReputationRep:
    like you mentioned, it's about the thrill of the chase. when guys want a girl they don't just want her for the sex or companionship, quite often it's about the thrill of winning her over that matters. sometimes girls pick up on this aspect of men and encourage it by 'playing hard to get' in order to entice them. its all about the dynamics of courtship.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nick Longjohnson)

It's like seeing a seller on ebay with good feedback.
    Lol at that analysis. Unless you meant to say unattainable = proof of quality???

ReputationRep:
    I dont think theres much truth to those claims tbh...

ReputationRep:
    Its natural for humans to want what they can't have

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Analbeauty)
    Because they're immature idiots and don't know what's good for them.
    Right...someone fell of the crazy wagon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FoxxyCleopatra)
    pfft. baffles me too. men boys* are simple creatures
    (Original post by Nick Longjohnson)

It's like seeing a seller on ebay with good feedback
    Wow, did you actually just liken women to an ebay transaction? :cool: Legend.

ReputationRep:
    Boys will want what they can't have. It's human nature.

Girls that are available (and want a relationship) are easy and it's therefore boring.

ReputationRep:
    Agreed. Men want 'the chase' but hate girls who play hard to get. No idea how to win this game

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 24, 2011
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.