Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Obviously there is no formal list of which degrees are applicable for those applying for TCs or a conversion course, but is there general consensus that there are certain degrees that would stand you in particularly good stead? Are there any that could really hamper you?

For example, would Art History be as highly regarded as History?

ReputationRep:
    Edit:
    But seriously I'm not sure. I guess something that requires I great deal of analysis such as History as you mentioned.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IJohnW)
    Obviously there is no formal list of which degrees are applicable for those applying for TCs or a conversion course, but is there general consensus that there are certain degrees that would stand you in particularly good stead? Are there any that could really hamper you?

For example, would Art History be as highly regarded as History?
    For things like IP and science-stuff, firms go ape **** for people with biochemistry etc

i know politics, geography, classics, biology, history, art history, criminology etc etc students who have either done/doing the GDL or having a training contract.

So long as you are perceived to have the skills the firm is looking for the don't care what your degree is, so long as its at least a 2.1 from a university they've at least herd of and ideally rate and that YOU can tell them why it has lead you to a legal career.

ReputationRep:
    Most subjects are fine, just go to a good university and get good marks. Art History would be perfectly fine.

A non-exhaustive list of good subjects include:

English
    History
    Languages
    Philosophy
    Natural Sciences
    Medicine
    Politics
    Geography
    Economics

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The West Wing)
    Most subjects are fine, just go to a good university and get good marks. Art History would be perfectly fine.

A non-exhaustive list of good subjects include:

English
    History
    Languages
    Philosophy
    Natural Sciences
    Medicine
    Politics
    Geography
    Economics
    Define? Whats the boundries? Ranking 1-100, 1-50, 1-5

2:1, 1st class?

ReputationRep:
    a first is more important than the degree. Unless the degree is in something obviously mickey mouse.

ReputationRep:
    Just choose any degree you enjoy that has a respectable academic basis. History and English Literature are statistically the most common alternatives for applicants, but it could be anything from Theology to Geography to Biochemistry - it can be a scientific or mathematical subject too.

ReputationRep:
    Whilst I have a personal vendetta against people who took Art History, Law isn't really a career you can choose your subjects to draw the bigger straw for. Just do something you enjoy, that is academic (i.e. Requires you to think critically, write lucidly, and argue logically), and in which you think you have a good shot of getting a first.

If that's History - great. English Literature? Why not. Philosophy, Politics and Economics? You rascal you.

Film and Media Studies? Not much evidence there that you don't have trisomy 21.

ReputationRep:
    Well history of art, as we art historians call it, worked for me.

Hmaus' post tells you all you need to know.

Whilst I have a personal vendetta against people who took Art History
    Do tell, as we also share a university. I might even know who you have the vendetta with (or is it against?). Hope it's not me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by peachmelba)
    I might even know who you have the vendetta with (or is it against?).
    I suspect they are more likely to be called Henrietta or Alice than Jade or Kylie.

ReputationRep:
    Do tell, as we also share a university. I might even know who you have the vendetta with (or is it against?). Hope it's not me.
    The endless throngs of vacuous bimbos who populate much of the course. It's a widely held world view, I'll let you know, outside of the champagne room of Ziggys.

ReputationRep:
    I suspect they are more likely to be called Henrietta or Alice than Jade or Kylie.
    The endless throngs of vacuous bimbos who populate much of the course. It's a widely held world view, I'll let you know, outside of the champagne room of Ziggys
    Ha. Thinks about cutting off long blonde hair.

ReputationRep:
    Ha. Thinks about cutting off long blonde hair.
    I fukken knew it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Redemption)
    I fukken knew it.
    But I have to say I wasn't one of those who ate in fancy restaurants on the study trip to Venice while the others survived on slices of pizza.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.