Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Is this right or fair? The Student Loan Company are saying that any student whose student/family income has dropped significantly this year can indeed have their 2010 - 2011 income taken into account (as opposed to 09-10) when deciding eligiblity for the maintenance grant. Problem is, the form that needs to be completed to trigger the application won't be available until Jan 2012; the DirectGov website says "available after April 2011", so technically Jan 2012 ticks the box, but surely such a long delay is unacceptable? Although the payment will be "backdated" the reality is that many students and their families who are unexpectedly struggling will now be expected to somehow manage until the money appears in ? "Spring 2012". I fear this may be too late for some, especially as Uni bursaries and other financial support are triggered only once the grant is awarded. Is what I'm saying common knowledge and the norm or am I right in thinking this form needs to be available by end of April 2011 latest? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Melting moments)
    Is this right or fair? The Student Loan Company are saying that any student whose student/family income has dropped significantly this year can indeed have their 2010 - 2011 income taken into account (as opposed to 09-10) when deciding eligiblity for the maintenance grant. Problem is, the form that needs to be completed to trigger the application won't be available until Jan 2012; the DirectGov website says "available after April 2011", so technically Jan 2012 ticks the box, but surely such a long delay is unacceptable? Although the payment will be "backdated" the reality is that many students and their families who are unexpectedly struggling will now be expected to somehow manage until the money appears in ? "Spring 2012". I fear this may be too late for some, especially as Uni bursaries and other financial support are triggered only once the grant is awarded. Is what I'm saying common knowledge and the norm or am I right in thinking this form needs to be available by end of April 2011 latest? :confused:
    Utter bloody Rubbish!
    You really are a clown.

The current year assessment form will be available at the end of the current financial year you div!
    That's April 2011.

You apply to be assessed on 2009 -10 income.
    Then you download the current year assessment form in April 2011 send it in and get re-assessed.

ReputationRep:
    Two things - first of all there is no need to be so rude and abusive, it's just not in the spirit of TSR and really unhelpful when people are trying to navigate their way through the maze of information around student finance/support. Second up, I've now called the Student Loan Company back and they have clarified the situation and explained that actually the original information given was incorrect (can only go on what I'm advised, hence using TSR to get clarification). I won't be asking for further assistance as each individual situation will vary, so seems to me best to not discuss any further and will now deal with this without further reference to TSR. Finally, you know what they say: "if you can't say anything nice don't say anything..... :mad:

ReputationRep:
    Don't come on here frightening people with nonsense when the DirectGov site clearly explains the procedure for current year assessments.
    How many people do you think your irresponsible utterings caused to panic unnecessarily?

ReputationRep:
    If you looked at the original post you'll see that I did ask "is this right? i.e. can this really be correct information. In fact, if anyone's at fault it's the person from the Student Loan Company who gave the wrong info in the first place and who (when challenged) reassured me that he'd checked what he'd said was accurate and was the only way to proceed. Also, by raising the issue here it has hopefully clarified the situation for anyone else who has been misinformed. Thread dead now I reckon, unless of course you intend to continue with your ranting - I for one won't be bothering to read any of it.

ReputationRep:
    wow, anger.

ReputationRep:
    whatever.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.