Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've lived in the south of France before, and I don't have any negative memories of it.

I like mocking their 'je ne sais quoi' attitude sometimes though.

The Parisians are more rude/surly then the French people in other areas for some reason, but you could say the same about Londoners in comparison to the rest of the UK.

ReputationRep:
    I have no reason to hate them. France is one of my favourite countries. As is Germany, and most UK people tend to hate Germany. Paris is generally equal as a global city to London (apart from financial services I guess).

The only European country I dislike is Portugal. It's a pseudo-first world country, and a poor hell hole.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you Rowan Atkinson

"We offered kindly to donate them Calais
    And all they gave us back was the bidet
    And now they won't let us go on holiday
    That's why I hate the French, mmm,
    That's why I hate the French

They bottle bath-water [or 7 Up] and call it Perrier
    They eat poor froggie's legs then throw the rest away
    They even like the look of Johnny Holliday

They eat raw garlic and invented croquet
    They think the height of chic is John Paul Gautier

They all wear berets and they're all called Jacques,
    They even steal from us the words they lack
    Le weekend, Le Camping and cul de sac
    That's why I hate the French, oh,
    That's why I hate the French.

They claim their films are the best we've ever had
    Well I suppose Emmannuelle wasn't bad
    All their songs sound more or less the same
    La la la la la la la la.........je t'aime
    Charles Aznavour is always so depressed
    Wouldn't you be if oui oui meant yes?

Sacha Distel has raindrops falling on his head
    I wonder if Jean Paul Sartre knows he is dead
    What I resent is that they're so good in bed

They bake their bread in such a naughty shape
    They brag about their wine and worship the grape
    They criticise our food but then they eat crepe

And now they started coming here in droves
    French cigarettes, French letters and French clothes

For breakfast they have croissant or French toast
    And there's always some French letters in the post

I'm sick and tired of eating all this brie
    A day trip to Boulougne is fine by me
    And I'll be buggered if I go to gay Paris.
    That's why I hate the French, mmm

They're pretty cocky 'bout their games in the dark
    They think with girls they light a special spark
    But look what the *******s did to Joan of Arc
    That's why I hate the French."

ReputationRep:
    I don't hate the French, I just hate Sarkozy.

ReputationRep:
    Leaveeeeee the frenchhhh aloneeeeeee!!!!!!! leave qubec, tahiti, lebanon, martinique or any frenchhhh or former french colloniesssss aloneeee!!!!!! and before you ask im half Qubecer.

ReputationRep:
    France belongs to the English.

1. Normans
    2. We'd still have it if wasn't for that idiot King John (aka the bad guy in Robin Hood). He was actual rubbish all he needed was to reinforce a fortress and not alienate the Norman nobility and vast swathes of France would be ours.
    3. Some French are nasty... President Mitterand allowed the French foreign legion to man check points in the Rwandan genocide as well as invite war criminals to France on a friendly terms. Bad froggies...
    4. The 3 lion flag doesn't get more English than that... well it just so happens that those lions represent areas in France that belong to us.

I still like to think of myself still as a neo colonial overlord... my grandfather has a house in France.

Nah the French are ok and we were pretty harsh deserting them at the start of WW2. Oh and killing several 100 sailors so the Germans couldn't use their Navy

ReputationRep:
    I spend months at a time in France. I love it.
    Best summed up by a union leader last summer when they were demonstrating and striking about the increase in the retirement age. Some puffed up BBC interviewer scoffed that we accepted the same without such a fuss. To which the reply came
    "You may have. We on the other hand have a quality of life to preserve."

Perfectly summed up the shi tty state the UK is in now I thought.

ReputationRep:
    Because they're gabachos?

ReputationRep:
    Nahh, I like going over there and poorly speaking the language, or being over here and pretending I can speak the language. Their national anthem's probably the most terrifying one in existence "let impure blood water our fields" (that's the translation). Makes them sound like Slytherin. Would hate to be a foreign kid standing in assembly while they sing this lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehFrance)
    It would be stupid of me to say that I dislike my own people so no I do not dislike them
    It's not always stupid to say that you dislike your own people. In the history of mine (Germany) there was a time when saying exactly this was the most reasonable thing you could do...

But to say something about the topic, I find it interesting how they think being proud of their country is the most natural thing ever. That's what I experienced when I lived there for three months at least. Okay, I'm probably biased on the topic because you're not seldom looked at as a nazi when you say something positive about your country when you're German...
    I really liked the French I got to know during my stay, especially since I experienced that it's such a diverse people and such a diverse country!
    Most people I met were quite friendly and always ready to help. But I have to say that many were also a bit too superficial for me.
    All in all, I'm happy that France and Germany have become such good friends by now!

ReputationRep:
    I used to like them, then I went to paris.
    I have never met a ruder culture in my life, the taxi driver didn't even bother to grunt at me when I told him my destination. Then it just went downhill from there.
    I had HORRIFIC service in a restaurant, had to ask 4 times for my glass of wine only to have it finally slammed down in front of me and he cracked the glass in doing so covering me in wine- nice!!

Oh and the food is disgusting!!! People have a very romantic image of it but in reality all they do well is croissants!!
    People there are generally very rude and unaccepting of the english.
    But they hate us, so whether we like them doesn't matter at all.

However there are exceptions and I did meet some wonderful french people- not everyone is surly and unfriendly- just the vast majority.
    But then again, maybe thats just Paris.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rajandkwameali)
    I have no reason to hate them. France is one of my favourite countries. As is Germany, and most UK people tend to hate Germany.
    Don't frighten me

ReputationRep:
    No, they have hot boys and the alpes, therefore i couldn't hate them.

ReputationRep:
    can I ask why I was given a negative rating for my last post????

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FloRaRa)
    I have never met a ruder culture in my life, the taxi driver didn't even bother to grunt at me when I told him my destination. Then it just went downhill from there.
    I had HORRIFIC service in a restaurant, had to ask 4 times for my glass of wine only to have it finally slammed down in front of me and he cracked the glass in doing so covering me in wine- nice!!

Oh and the food is disgusting!!! People have a very romantic image of it but in reality all they do well is croissants!!

However there are exceptions and I did meet some wonderful french people- not everyone is surly and unfriendly- just the vast majority.
    I think that's mostly Paris. It's a very busy and choatic city, not as romantic as many think. They are probably just not very fond of tourists, which I can understand!

See some other parts of France like the South (le Midi especially, lovely!), or the Atlantic coast (like les Landes), it's epic there!

And I have to say that yes, French people often used to expect you to speak their language. But firstly, that has changed, and they often make an effort to speak English or even German today (I spoke French to them and they insisted on speaking English to me). Secondly, I don't think that's much better in Britain, and if you don't know English in Britain, you're lost, too...

(Original post by cool pilot dude)
    Leaveeeeee the frenchhhh aloneeeeeee!!!!!!! leave qubec, tahiti, lebanon, martinique or any frenchhhh or former french colloniesssss aloneeee!!!!!! and before you ask im half Qubecer.
    Are you sure your from Quebec? as you can't even spell Quebec.
    (Original post by FloRaRa)

To be honest you sound like you were quite impatient with peope as we take our time... especially at lunch

ReputationRep:
    I don't dislike them, I love French food - cheese, wine, baguettes!

I went to Paris once, there was an amazing place that did the most heavenly chips I ever tasted, that was six years ago and I've never forgotten them. I'm hoping I'll be able to visit Paris a lot more in the future.

(Original post by cool pilot dude)
    can I ask why I was given a negative rating for my last post????
    Most likely because you couldn't spell Quebec... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I love girls in French knickers
    I want to marry a French girl
    If any French girls are reading this, I'm offering.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Yes. Their language is too difficult to learn! *shakes fist*

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.