Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Well my French exchange partner in third year was a right pain in the derrière... But no, French people as a whole are no better or worse than those of any other country.

ReputationRep:
    Non, Je les adore!

ReputationRep:
    Well it's not like they're American... :mmm:

I jest. I'm sure pleasant American people do exist.

ReputationRep:
    It's a bit difficult to judge all the French people in the world, seeing as I haven't met a significant number of them to make a reasoned judgement. But, from my [limited] experience of French teenagers, it's not my favourite culture.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by r_u_t_h)
    Well my French exchange partner in third year was a right pain in the derrière... But no, French people as a whole are no better or worse than those of any other country.
    Same! Mine was extremely antisocial. When she was in England I only saw her at dinner time, and when I was in France I never saw her at all because she buggered off to go meet with her friends and I wasn't invited. :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by felt_monkey)
    Yes. Their language is too difficult to learn! *shakes fist*
    Be grateful you're not a French person trying to learn English. That would be a hell of a lot more difficult!

ReputationRep:
    Non, je pense que les gens francais et la France sont fantastique!
    Si je pourrais etre une nationalité différente, je serais francaise

ReputationRep:
    Wow, those who 'deteste les francais!' are keeping very quiet up in here..

(Original post by Munnsie)
    Found some of the people really rude
    Ditto

(Original post by Auchtermuchty)
    We were pretty harsh deserting them at the start of WW2. Oh and killing several 100 sailors so the Germans couldn't use their Navy
    Dude their country caved like a wet flan on a warm summers day, we didn't desert them. BDF had to re-group because they were so **** awful at defending themselves and had a penchant *if you'll pardon the pun* for collabourating with Nazis! :rolleyes:

(Original post by FloRaRa)
    People there are generally very rude and unaccepting of the english ... not everyone is surly and unfriendly- just the vast majority
    I hear that, I've met one or two who were actually pretty decent, humble folk. One of my ex's was French after all - though she herself conceded that "many French men are A-holes"

(Original post by r_u_t_h)
    Well my French exchange partner in third year was a right pain in the derrière
    Ditto, I had to beat some sense into the little ****.. the most irritating/arrogant little fagwad imaginable!

ReputationRep:
    No.

I used to dislike France somewhat due to bad experiences with snobby Parisians, but when you get a better look at France, it's awesome.

Overlooking all the asylum seekers and immigrant slums of course..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Auchtermuchty)
    France belongs to the English.

1. Normans
    2. We'd still have it if wasn't for that idiot King John (aka the bad guy in Robin Hood). He was actual rubbish all he needed was to reinforce a fortress and not alienate the Norman nobility and vast swathes of France would be ours.
    3. Some French are nasty... President Mitterand allowed the French foreign legion to man check points in the Rwandan genocide as well as invite war criminals to France on a friendly terms. Bad froggies...
    4. The 3 lion flag doesn't get more English than that... well it just so happens that those lions represent areas in France that belong to us.

I still like to think of myself still as a neo colonial overlord... my grandfather has a house in France.

Nah the French are ok and we were pretty harsh deserting them at the start of WW2. Oh and killing several 100 sailors so the Germans couldn't use their Navy
    As a Normand myself I would say that we invaded England not the other way around . And "your" flag is the coat of arm of Normandy and they are not lion but Léopard d'or passant sur champs de gueule (Golden leopard over red background, bad translation but I have no idea about heraldic in English), that your people can't make their own flag it's ok but at least know what's on it .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LornaSandison1)
    Be grateful you're not a French person trying to learn English. That would be a hell of a lot more difficult!
    Why should that be?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sappho)
    Why should that be?
    English language is like French language being raped by German language

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LysFromParis)
    English language is like French language being raped by German language
    Ey, nothing's wrong with the German language I actually like them all

ReputationRep:
    Why should that be?
    If you think about English as a 'language' in detail, then it's actually quite apparent that it's very irregular indeed and quite a difficult language to learn if it's not your mothertongue.

Think about all the oddities we put at the end of sentences, for example:
    "You have a sister, don't you?" "That's your bag, isn't it?" "You went to Australia, didn't you?"
    Whereas the French are just like "vous avez une soeur, non?" or something else fairly easy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LornaSandison1)
    If you think about English as a 'language' in detail, then it's actually quite apparent that it's very irregular indeed and quite a difficult language to learn if it's not your mothertongue.

Think about all the oddities we put at the end of sentences, for example:
    "You have a sister, don't you?" "That's your bag, isn't it?" "You went to Australia, didn't you?"
    Whereas the French are just like "vous avez une soeur, non?" or something else fairly easy.
    Well, English and French are both foreign languages for me. I think for both of them it's true that it's rather easy to reach a certain level, but afterwards it becomes really difficult to perfect your knowledge of the language.
    But I think that in order to reach a level of simple communication, English is much easier than French. It's not our international language without a reason.

Why should that be?
    And all the exceptions too, e.g. 'though', 'bough', 'trough'...

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, I don't think they deserve their reputation for food and fashion. Just from my own experiences.

But! French people are great! I admire their directness.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldnt say I dislike all French people, but the one's I've met have been complete ****ers who like to change history when it suits them.

ReputationRep:
    yes. Everyone I have met has been an arrogant ******** who refuses to actually have a normal conversation and just go on about how great they and france are, when actually it is a massive **** hole, I have been there and hated it.

ReputationRep:
    Non, j'aime le gens francais et aussi spécialement la langue, c'est belle.

My french isn't very good but I'm learning :P

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.