Turn on thread page Beta

Do you dislike the French? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    haahhahha I am not one of these people who looks at their vocabulary when writing online. Je me souviens!!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    I'm half French myself. They're decent people in general, but there's two things I find annoying:

- Their ethnocentrism.
    - Their inability and often unwillingness to learn other languages, especially English.

But I love the country itself. It's so diverse and each region is unique in its culture and landscape.

ReputationRep:
    I generally do. Sometimes it's just teasing but most of the French men I've come across are a bit rude and arrogant.

On the other hand, French women :coma: :sogood:

ReputationRep:
    Not at all. I've met many French people and they're all very nice. We have far more in common with them than we realise.

ReputationRep:
    I'm kinda biased as I've developed a dislike for the french people who live above me, who without fail make an absolute ass out of themselves by singing their stupid songs while running and screaming up and down the stairs, tearing open the letterboxes for the block and spreading the letters all over the hallway and generally being really rude.
    Oh and the charming one who for no reason decided to try and kick in our door so we had to call the Warden to take the lock apart so we could open the door.

(Original post by LornaSandison1)
    Be grateful you're not a French person trying to learn English. That would be a hell of a lot more difficult!
    Well we speak it better than the natives well in most cases....
    (Original post by Vindobona)
    - Their inability and often unwillingness to learn other languages, especially English.
    No it isn't our inability or out unwillingness we learn and speak English very well thank you it is just we would rather not speak English in our own country, I don't expect an Italian to speak to me in French instead of Italian do I? Within our borders speak our language.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehFrance)

No it isn't our inability or out unwillingness we learn and speak English very well thank you it is just we would rather not speak English in our own country, I don't expect an Italian to speak to me in French instead of Italian do I? Within our borders speak our language.
    I teach English in France, learning and speaking English very well is not as common as you French guys would have us believe :p:

ReputationRep:
    No, honestly. Most French people do NOT speak English very well compared to other Europeans.
    I always speak French when I'm in France as it's my second mother tongue, but I've seen service employees at airports, hotels and large train stations who were not willing to answer a single word in English when tourists came asking questions. Which is unacceptable in the tourism industry. English is the agreed-upon international language of communication, so your comparison with Italian is not the best one.

Also, it's annoying that the French always pronounce English proper nouns (brands, cities, names) in a very strange sounding French way.

ReputationRep:
    I think they need to get over the fact English is the global language and not French, I see no reason why my passport is in English and French

ReputationRep:
    I learn French. I like the French as individuals. I love the culture, but the country as a whole, piss me off. Not even the whole country, young French kids mainly, who think it's polite to talk about a person in French when the person in question is quite obviously a good French speaker. It's just plain rude! However, that being said, I do love France and hope to be fluent in the language in the very near future

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Auchtermuchty)
    France belongs to the English.

1. Normans.
    You do realise the Normans were descendants of Scandinavians?

ReputationRep:
    The auld alliance man!

ReputationRep:
    Unless we're playing them in the rugby, no.

(Original post by SuperSam_Fantastiche)
    I teach English in France, learning and speaking English very well is not as common as you French guys would have us believe :p:
    Depends on the area mind, private school and those from better school districts will have a better level of English (or whatever language offered ) than those from worse ranking schools... to be honest most of the French people I know speak excellent English
    (Original post by Vindobona)
    No, honestly. Most French people do NOT speak English very well compared to other Europeans.
    I always speak French when I'm in France as it's my second mother tongue, but I've seen service employees at airports, hotels and large train stations who were not willing to answer a single word in English when tourists came asking questions. Which is unacceptable in the tourism industry. English is the agreed-upon international language of communication, so your comparison with Italian is not the best one.

Also, it's annoying that the French always pronounce English proper nouns (brands, cities, names) in a very strange sounding French way.
    Ah a French Francophobe, don't meet many.

My comparison with Italian was the fact that when I go to Italy I speak Italian, so when the English come to France they too should speak the mother tougue (and vice versa). And WTF on English is the agreed upon internation language of communication? it is only this way as Britain control most of the world not that a bunch of countries said hey lets all speak English....

ReputationRep:
    I would like to quote Viscount Lord Nelson:

"You must hate a Frenchman like the devil himself."

ReputationRep:
    Most of their town centres have a heart and a soul. Decent fresh food, civic pride, less yob culture etc. Unlike here where it is an endless chain of supermarkets, retail parks, takeaways and cheap booze.

ReputationRep:
    Well, occasionally. But I imagine the same can be said for an English person who is fluent in French.

I'd agree with you there. I imagine there are an awful lot more English speaking French people than French speaking English. Of course you shouldn't be expected to speak a foreign language in your own country!

ReputationRep:
    Nah,the french people are pretty cool.The girls have great fashion sense(not all obv but ones I've met) and the guys...not bad either The language is quite nice too and I enjoyed studying it in school.(but now its german all the way for me)

ReputationRep:
    I am in love with France and the French so no I do not hate them.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.